SpaceQuest.Net BACK!

In Space No One Can Hear You Clean, er, Scream. But if you post in this forum about Space Quest - someone's sure to hear you. I think. Try it, anyway!
User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 10664
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: SpaceQuest.Net BACK!

Post by Tawmis » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:01 pm

Rath Darkblade wrote:One French word? In the midst of a paragraph written in English? Methinks not! ;)

It's more probably just a typo
I think you're missing the sarcasm. :D

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One
Posts: 4201
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:15 am
Location: Lost in Translation
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: SpaceQuest.Net BACK!

Post by Rath Darkblade » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:52 pm

Oh? I thought sarcasm was usually indicated by adding :P to your post. ;)

Consider me enlightened, then. :)

User avatar
adeyke
Oldbie
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:47 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: SpaceQuest.Net BACK!

Post by adeyke » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:54 pm

Not sarcasm, but a joke. What notbobsmith did was observe that the typo resulted in a legitimate French word (-ez is used in a second-person plural conjugations) and jokingly comment on that observation. As you yourself noted, just having one french word (and one that grammatically doesn't fit) in the middle of an English paragraph wouldn't make sense, so it also wouldn't make sense to think that notbobsmith was seriously suggesting that.

User avatar
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder
Posts: 2260
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:46 am
Gender: Male
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Contact:

Re: SpaceQuest.Net BACK!

Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:04 pm

All of my sarcasm is delivered emoji-less. It's funnier that way. (or should I say, actually funny)
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001

User avatar
notbobsmith
Sierra Veteran
Posts: 340
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:02 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male

Re: SpaceQuest.Net BACK!

Post by notbobsmith » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:12 pm

adeyke wrote:Not sarcasm, but a joke. What notbobsmith did was observe that the typo resulted in a legitimate French word (-ez is used in a second-person plural conjugations) and jokingly comment on that observation. As you yourself noted, just having one french word (and one that grammatically doesn't fit) in the middle of an English paragraph wouldn't make sense, so it also wouldn't make sense to think that notbobsmith was seriously suggesting that.
This is perhaps the most concise deconstruction of a joke that I've read.

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 10664
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: SpaceQuest.Net BACK!

Post by Tawmis » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:38 pm

notbobsmith wrote:
adeyke wrote:Not sarcasm, but a joke. What notbobsmith did was observe that the typo resulted in a legitimate French word (-ez is used in a second-person plural conjugations) and jokingly comment on that observation. As you yourself noted, just having one french word (and one that grammatically doesn't fit) in the middle of an English paragraph wouldn't make sense, so it also wouldn't make sense to think that notbobsmith was seriously suggesting that.
This is perhaps the most concise deconstruction of a joke that I've read.
Is that sarcasm? :lol:

User avatar
notbobsmith
Sierra Veteran
Posts: 340
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:02 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male

Re: SpaceQuest.Net BACK!

Post by notbobsmith » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:23 pm

Tawmis wrote:
notbobsmith wrote:
adeyke wrote:Not sarcasm, but a joke. What notbobsmith did was observe that the typo resulted in a legitimate French word (-ez is used in a second-person plural conjugations) and jokingly comment on that observation. As you yourself noted, just having one french word (and one that grammatically doesn't fit) in the middle of an English paragraph wouldn't make sense, so it also wouldn't make sense to think that notbobsmith was seriously suggesting that.
This is perhaps the most concise deconstruction of a joke that I've read.
Is that sarcasm? :lol:
I'll let you be the judge. :D

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One
Posts: 4201
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:15 am
Location: Lost in Translation
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: SpaceQuest.Net BACK!

Post by Rath Darkblade » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:00 am

I think it was truth, not sarcasm.

Oh, and I wasn't aware that 'ostracisez' was a French word. Consider me doubly enlightened, then. *G*

User avatar
adeyke
Oldbie
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:47 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: SpaceQuest.Net BACK!

Post by adeyke » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:59 am

It may be worth mentioning that, adding some French to an otherwise English sentence can sometimes add a certain je ne sais quois.

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 10664
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: SpaceQuest.Net BACK!

Post by Tawmis » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:01 pm

adeyke wrote:It may be worth mentioning that, adding some French to an otherwise English sentence can sometimes add a certain je ne sais quois.
Yeah! Like French Fries!

User avatar
Collector
Grand Poobah
Posts: 11080
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:57 am
Location: Sierraland
Contact:

Re: SpaceQuest.Net BACK!

Post by Collector » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:14 pm

You mean Freedom Fries, sir! :lol:
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Image

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One
Posts: 4201
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:15 am
Location: Lost in Translation
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: SpaceQuest.Net BACK!

Post by Rath Darkblade » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:09 am

The much lauded Freedom Fries, even. ;)

Nonetheless, not everyone has carte blanche to add French to their sentence. Indeed, some people may believe that it is an avant-garde thing to do, while others may regard it as cliché.

Post Reply