Space Quest II Remake

In Space No One Can Hear You Clean, er, Scream. But if you post in this forum about Space Quest - someone's sure to hear you. I think. Try it, anyway!

Re: Space Quest II Remake

Postby Rath Darkblade » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:31 am

And.... stuck again. :( This time, the hunter got me into the cage. Now, I know that I have to throw the spore ball at his feet, take his key, get out of the cage and take the rope. But after that, I'm stuck in the hunter screen, and after a while of me walking around, that hunter wakes up and barbecues me. :(

What's going on here? I thought Roger was supposed to be able to get out of the screen? If so, which way am I supposed to go? :?

Thanks! :)

**EDIT** Actually, never mind - I've figured it out. Thanks. ;)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One
 
Posts: 3104
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:15 am
Location: Lost in Translation
Gender: Not specified

Re: Space Quest II Remake

Postby Rath Darkblade » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:51 am

Arrghh... stuck again, in the dark caves this time! :? I've got past the hunter, climbed down the rope tied to the log, jumped off before being grabbed by the giant alien monkey, used the gem to scare off the Evil Cave Beaver (WTF?) and I'm now in the caves used by that tribe of little pink people (even more WTF?) However, I am now stuck in the dark caves that feature ladders and ropes. Nothing is trying to kill me for now, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time! :lol:

Any help? I keep going up and down ropes, but I can't find the way out. :(

Worse still, something very annoying happens in these caves - at random, when I've gone up (or down) a rope and hit a stretch of dark cave, the game suddenly refuses to allow Roger to get off the rope - but it allows him to adopt the "crawl" position - so all I can do is "crawl" up and down the rope, which obviously doesn't make any sense and doesn't let me move forward in the game. Any help there? Is this a bug, or... what's going on?

Thanks! :)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One
 
Posts: 3104
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:15 am
Location: Lost in Translation
Gender: Not specified

Re: Space Quest II Remake

Postby Tawmis » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:42 am

Let's just say that - if it's like the original - I have a gem of an idea that might help! But I'd be putting my money where my mouth is.
User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
 
Posts: 8898
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified

Re: Space Quest II Remake

Postby Tawmis » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:44 am

My real question is -- is there no way to get this damn thing to go full screen? :-/
User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
 
Posts: 8898
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified

Re: Space Quest II Remake

Postby Collector » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:32 am

Rath Darkblade wrote:Arrghh... stuck again, in the dark caves this time! :? I've got past the hunter, climbed down the rope tied to the log, jumped off before being grabbed by the giant alien monkey, used the gem to scare off the Evil Cave Beaver (WTF?) and I'm now in the caves used by that tribe of little pink people (even more WTF?) However, I am now stuck in the dark caves that feature ladders and ropes. Nothing is trying to kill me for now, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time! :lol:

Any help? I keep going up and down ropes, but I can't find the way out. :(

Worse still, something very annoying happens in these caves - at random, when I've gone up (or down) a rope and hit a stretch of dark cave, the game suddenly refuses to allow Roger to get off the rope - but it allows him to adopt the "crawl" position - so all I can do is "crawl" up and down the rope, which obviously doesn't make any sense and doesn't let me move forward in the game. Any help there? Is this a bug, or... what's going on?

Thanks! :)

Have you seen anything you could ride your way out of?

The bug with getting stuck in a crawl position is a known bug. I am not sure if it will get fixed in the next release, but it is triggered by using the cursor buttons. If you use only the mouse for this scene you can avoid the bug.

Tawmis wrote:My real question is -- is there no way to get this damn thing to go full screen? :-/

The game was compiled as a 24-bit color game and that has caused a number of graphical issues. They are testing a 32-bit build. With the initial release, to get full screen, try selecting no scalers.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Image
User avatar
Collector
Grand Poobah
 
Posts: 10434
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:57 am
Location: Sierraland

Re: Space Quest II Remake

Postby Rath Darkblade » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:46 am

Tawmis wrote:Let's just say that - if it's like the original - I have a gem of an idea that might help! But I'd be putting my money where my mouth is.


Right. I am already using the gem to light my way in the caves, but I still can't find the way out.

Collector wrote:Have you seen anything you could ride your way out of?


Hmmmm........ I haven't seen anything like that. All I can find in this dratted cave are ropes and dead ends... ugh. :( I've even mapped out this cave, but I still can't find my way out.

Any explicit spoilers would be welcome. :)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One
 
Posts: 3104
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:15 am
Location: Lost in Translation
Gender: Not specified

Re: Space Quest II Remake

Postby MusicallyInspired » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:03 am

Actually, it's a 16-bit colour game. If your display/monitor can handle 16-bit you can set it for fullscreen by running WINSETUP.EXE.
01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01100011 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01100001 00100000 01101100 01101001 01100101 00101110
User avatar
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder
 
Posts: 1939
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:46 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Gender: Male

Re: Space Quest II Remake

Postby Tawmis » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:08 pm

I hate it (not being full screen) because at times I have to click on the VERY edge of the screen to make Roger walk to the next screen, and sometimes I miss the screen and click the monitor...
User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
 
Posts: 8898
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified

Re: Space Quest II Remake

Postby Datadog » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:28 pm

Rath Darkblade wrote:Any explicit spoilers would be welcome. :)


In the bottom-right corner of the maze is a mine cart. You can ride it. I originally kept missing this because I thought the mine cart was some decorative background thing.
User avatar
Datadog
Great Incinerations
 
Posts: 1274
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:41 am
Location: Vancouver, BC
Gender: Not Specified

Re: Space Quest II Remake

Postby Rath Darkblade » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:50 pm

Datadog wrote:
Rath Darkblade wrote:Any explicit spoilers would be welcome. :)


In the bottom-right corner of the maze is a mine cart. You can ride it. I originally kept missing this because I thought the mine cart was some decorative background thing.


Thanks Datadog! :D I kept missing it for exactly the same reason - clicking around it continually made the game think that I was clicking the walls. *shrug*
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One
 
Posts: 3104
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:15 am
Location: Lost in Translation
Gender: Not specified

Re: Space Quest II Remake

Postby Rath Darkblade » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:04 pm

Huzzah!!! :D I have now solved the game, and experienced (I think) every way that it is possible for Roger to die. :P This includes the Alien sequence, the acid sequence, the flamethrower, shrinking yourself down to atomic proportions, the asphyxiation sequence, the floor waxer, the Marrow-matic, and failing to stop the sales-droids. ;)

By the way, did you notice...

- Marvin the Paranoid Android (both the TV version and movie version) is apparently serving behind the counter at Monolith Burger? :lol: (Poor Marvin. I can just imagine Vohaul's asteroid exploding and Marvin being blown across space, saying "Here I am, brain the size of a planet and all I'm good for is being blown to bits..." :D

P.S. Maybe that's how he got his terrible pain in all the diodes down the left-hand side. ;)

P.S.S. By the way, what use is the Monolith Burger that you can get here? I tried eating it, and all I got is a death sequence. (Obviously). ;)

- In the ending sequence, the Pinkuz and ape soldiers have a party, while barbecuing the hunter?

- In the ending sequence, one of the ape soldiers had stripped down to his (her? its?) underwear? (Why do they wear underpants, anyway?) ;)

- The Troll's Tale mini-game? (Which I kept getting lost in and never finished... argh). *shrug* Oh well. ;)


Any other bits of trivia? Please share. :)

Good game! I'm particularly looking forward to the sequel (if and when it comes out...) Any news on that front? ;)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One
 
Posts: 3104
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:15 am
Location: Lost in Translation
Gender: Not specified

Re: Space Quest II Remake

Postby Datadog » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:27 am

Rath Darkblade wrote:- Marvin the Paranoid Android (both the TV version and movie version) is apparently serving behind the counter at Monolith Burger? :lol: (Poor Marvin. I can just imagine Vohaul's asteroid exploding and Marvin being blown across space, saying "Here I am, brain the size of a planet and all I'm good for is being blown to bits..." :D


Did you try giving him anything?

P.S.S. By the way, what use is the Monolith Burger that you can get here? I tried eating it, and all I got is a death sequence. (Obviously). ;)


It's a red herring, according to the forums.
User avatar
Datadog
Great Incinerations
 
Posts: 1274
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:41 am
Location: Vancouver, BC
Gender: Not Specified

Re: Space Quest II Remake

Postby Rath Darkblade » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:24 am

Datadog wrote:
Rath Darkblade wrote:- Marvin the Paranoid Android (both the TV version and movie version) is apparently serving behind the counter at Monolith Burger? :lol: (Poor Marvin. I can just imagine Vohaul's asteroid exploding and Marvin being blown across space, saying "Here I am, brain the size of a planet and all I'm good for is being blown to bits..." :D


Did you try giving him anything?


Yes. However, anything I try giving him gets classified as a weapon, and he shoots me. Is there anything that I should give him? Just curious. :)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One
 
Posts: 3104
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:15 am
Location: Lost in Translation
Gender: Not specified

Re: Space Quest II Remake

Postby Datadog » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:26 pm

Not that I found. Although both versions have their own way of killing you.
User avatar
Datadog
Great Incinerations
 
Posts: 1274
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:41 am
Location: Vancouver, BC
Gender: Not Specified

Re: Space Quest II Remake

Postby Rath Darkblade » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:27 am

Datadog wrote:Not that I found. Although both versions have their own way of killing you.


They do? :? Err... do you mean both versions of Marvin, or both versions of the game? *puzzled* I don't remember there being a Monolith Burger in the EGA version of SQ2, and both Marvins simply shoot me. So... what do you mean, exactly? :?
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One
 
Posts: 3104
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:15 am
Location: Lost in Translation
Gender: Not specified

PreviousNext

Return to The Space Quest Series

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron