What are you playing now?

Talk about anything you want here

Re: What are you playing now?

Postby Semi-Happy Partygoer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:30 am

MusicallyInspired wrote:Interesting. I mean, obviously you know more than me. I haven't played through Kyrandia yet but the beginning came off a bit tongue-in-cheek to me. The opening cutscene was serious and somber and then Brandon's reactions to everything and the chippy music was like a huge contrast (maybe that was just the voice acting). Someday I'll play through them.

Yeah, Brandon's seeming inability to grasp the seriousness of the situation (early on, at least) seemed intentional to keep things lighter. The voice acting did accentuate that. I tend to prefer the floppy disk version.
Semi-Happy Partygoer
Sierra Enthusiast

Re: What are you playing now?

Postby Tawmis » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:44 am

Tawmis wrote:
Semi-Happy Partygoer wrote:I've recently been dabbling with Heaven's Dawn, a seemingly rare point-and-click from 1995. Developed by a Taiwanese company, then released in English in Australia. It features most standard P&C conventions, though not done nearly as well as Sierra's work. Visually, the game is an obvious Kyrandia knockoff- same style interface and icons, similar color palette and music, even the main character's sprite is drawn as the exact same angle as Brandon. The programming is also clunky - the opening cinematic is 3D rendered, and even on the slowest DOSBox settings it absolutely flies by like a tape on fast forward, but then the game runs slower than dirt. It needs at least 30,000 cycles to prevent lag during animation-heavy screens. Still, for all the flaws, it has a certain charm about it, and it's fun to experience a "new" P&C from that era that I haven't seen before.

It's funny that you call it a Kyrandia knock off - when the first Kyrandia was called a King's Quest knock off (so much so that they ended up putting disclaimer stickers on the boxes)! I am now, officially curious to play said Heaven's Dawn sometime...

Here it is:
Kyr-1-SOL-Sticker.jpg
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous Chatter