Monitors

Talk about anything you want here
User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 13441
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: Monitors

Post by Tawmis » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:53 pm

HarroSIN wrote: You can set DOSBox's resolution in the configuration file for any aspect, so most DOS games do look alright. Older Windows games (probably from 1996 and on), though, are sometimes pre-determined and don't get a list of supported resolutions from your video adapter.
Whoa! Hold it there!

There's games that came out that work in Windows?

I thought games stopped being made after DOS went away! ;)

Kidding of course. I honestly have not tried any Windows based games, yet. Most of the games I play I have burned to DVD (to use as a hard drive) so that it's not actually installed on my work computer. And I just save my save games on the computer in case they sniff for games, KQSAV1.SAV isn't going to make much sense to them. So I have not tried windows based games with the wide screen. But considering the work you did for PH2 (checked out your site), I am going to trust you (since you clearly know WAY more than me - but really - who doesn't know more than me?) :)

User avatar
HarroSIN
Sierra Enthusiast
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:22 am
Gender: Male
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: Monitors

Post by HarroSIN » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:02 pm

Heh. Everybody knows sometimes. Subjects differ. 8-)
Visit my website for the Phantasmagoria 2 XP Installer (Phan2XP):
http://leonhart.us/

User avatar
Almirena
Supreme Songstress
Posts: 368
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:36 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: Monitors

Post by Almirena » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:22 pm

My monitor is nothing to brag about.

However, I am planning on buying a new computer (WITH brag-worthy monitor) at not too distant a time. I will plumb the depths of Collector's mind to find out what specs I need to ensure that my new computer will not only be wonderful for game-playing, writing, graphic stuff, using the music software Finale for my composing and so on... but also a perfect home recording studio.

And THEN you will hear bragging the likes of which you've never heard before!

In the meantime, I can only join in the general envy.
I purpled the martyred moon
Where twilight drank all light
Image

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 13441
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: Monitors

Post by Tawmis » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:32 am

Almirena wrote:My monitor is nothing to brag about.

However, I am planning on buying a new computer (WITH brag-worthy monitor) at not too distant a time. I will plumb the depths of Collector's mind to find out what specs I need to ensure that my new computer will not only be wonderful for game-playing, writing, graphic stuff, using the music software Finale for my composing and so on... but also a perfect home recording studio.

And THEN you will hear bragging the likes of which you've never heard before!

In the meantime, I can only join in the general envy.
I'd be envious of your computer, even if it was an x386 model... just because it gets to be next to you!

<3

User avatar
Collector
Grand Poobah
Posts: 11555
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:57 am
Location: Sierraland
Contact:

Re: Monitors

Post by Collector » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:41 am

Tawmis wrote:I'd be envious of your computer, even if it was an x386 model... just because it gets to be next to you!
And that is from the era of our beloved classics.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Image

User avatar
Almirena
Supreme Songstress
Posts: 368
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:36 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: Monitors

Post by Almirena » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:53 am

My very first computer is still with me, sitting next to the second computer I bought.

I don't think I'll be throwing out either.
I purpled the martyred moon
Where twilight drank all light
Image

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 13441
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: Monitors

Post by Tawmis » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:03 am

There's one computer I kept that's a x386-33Mhz system that I still have. It's the one I ran my BBS on (most of you young pups probably don't even know what a BBS is...) - and it's signed by the majority of the users who used to log into the bbs. So it has a lot of sentimental value to me. :)

User avatar
HarroSIN
Sierra Enthusiast
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:22 am
Gender: Male
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: Monitors

Post by HarroSIN » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:47 am

I still have the first computer I (my family) bought... how else would I play all my old, awesome MS-DOS games? I think we bought it around 1995... it is a 486 @ 90MHz that originally ran Windows 3.1 (later upgraded to Windows 95 for free from the OEM, Gateway 2000, now just 'Gateway' I think). I remember the last game it played pretty well was Quake 2 with just about every fancy setting disabled. But that was power back then! Cost about $2,500 if I remember. BBS was pretty dead by the time we got dial-up later that year, but I was active on Usenet (which, sadly, is almost dead as well).
Visit my website for the Phantasmagoria 2 XP Installer (Phan2XP):
http://leonhart.us/

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 13441
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: Monitors

Post by Tawmis » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:36 pm

HarroSIN wrote:I still have the first computer I (my family) bought... how else would I play all my old, awesome MS-DOS games? I think we bought it around 1995... it is a 486 @ 90MHz that originally ran Windows 3.1 (later upgraded to Windows 95 for free from the OEM, Gateway 2000, now just 'Gateway' I think). I remember the last game it played pretty well was Quake 2 with just about every fancy setting disabled. But that was power back then! Cost about $2,500 if I remember. BBS was pretty dead by the time we got dial-up later that year, but I was active on Usenet (which, sadly, is almost dead as well).
Many years ago I kept my Acer-166Mhz running to run older Sierra games on it - still had issues, but it was the slowest PC I had. Till it croaked. Then on the Sierra forums someone mentioned DOSBox - and blam! - my problems were solved. It was a very easly version of DOSBox. I've been with it every since.

User avatar
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One
Posts: 6241
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:15 am
Location: Lost in Translation
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Monitors

Post by Rath Darkblade » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:36 am

My old 15" CRT monitor died two weeks ago. I now have a 19" inch flatscreen LCD monitor... which, after using a 15" CRT monitor for years and years, I'm still trying to get used to. ;)

It's so... big. And clear. *worships the new monitor* ;)

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 13441
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: Monitors

Post by Tawmis » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:46 pm

And you probably have a considerable amount of free room now too, eh?

User avatar
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One
Posts: 6241
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:15 am
Location: Lost in Translation
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Monitors

Post by Rath Darkblade » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:20 am

Errr... actually, I think I have less room on my desk. It's so cluttered, I probably have an armadillo somewhere around here without knowing about it. ;)

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 13441
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: Monitors

Post by Tawmis » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:58 pm

Rath Darkblade wrote:Errr... actually, I think I have less room on my desk. It's so cluttered, I probably have an armadillo somewhere around here without knowing about it. ;)
Ah! I know the feeling! I have a lot of clutter on my desk as well... Because I was importing all my VHS tapes to digital... all my 8mm... so I have a VCR, camcorder, all running through my PC... plus an insane amount of DVDs, which I was also making digital copies of...

Wait.

I think I just found your amadillo on my desk!

User avatar
Almirena
Supreme Songstress
Posts: 368
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:36 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: Monitors

Post by Almirena » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:40 pm

If it has dark glasses and answers to the name of "Armand", it's MY armadillo.
I purpled the martyred moon
Where twilight drank all light
Image

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 13441
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: Monitors

Post by Tawmis » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:28 pm

Almirena wrote:If it has dark glasses and answers to the name of "Armand", it's MY armadillo.
I would lie and say it's yours, anyway - just to see you! :)

Post Reply