What are you playing now?

Talk about anything you want here
User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 13477
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: What are you playing now?

Post by Tawmis » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:30 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:
Tawmis wrote:I think it's pretty difficult to die in KQ5...
I'm going to go ahead and assume you're being sarcastic.
Unless you're talking about an experienced player, then it's not too easy to die.
Either that, or when I did my play through I got very lucky... because there's a lot I didn't remember about KQ5... and the biggest pain was the desert.
MusicallyInspired wrote:
Other than that there's only a few places where you can die that I know of (inside the one tavern, if you walk up to those guys... and the yeti...)
Ok let's start at the beginning:
-Death by snake bite
Well, that one is obvious to avoid. Cedric even warns you.
MusicallyInspired wrote: -Death by falling in river (x3 screens to the south)
:lol: I wasn't even aware that was possible, in the eons, I've had the game.
MusicallyInspired wrote: -Death by bees
Wait. How do you die by the bees?
MusicallyInspired wrote: -Death by bear
Is this if you approach? I've never been killed by the bear. Similar to the snake, no need to approach (it's obvious, like not walking in front of a moving bus) unless you have something to use.
MusicallyInspired wrote: -Death by witch
Oh! Yes, I forgot about her. She got me once, before I remembered what to do.
MusicallyInspired wrote: -Death by scorpion
Don't remember this?
MusicallyInspired wrote: -Death by desert
Well. Yeah. This one is the one I mentioned is the most common.
MusicallyInspired wrote: -Death by bandits (x3: at the mountainside, at the camp, in the bandits' tent)
True. But this was easy to avoid.
MusicallyInspired wrote: -Trapped in treasure hold
Yes! You're right. This one also got me once on my most recent play through.
MusicallyInspired wrote: -Dying in dark forest for not having the items you need to escape (x2, spider death on bottom-right screen, tentacle death on top-left screen)
True again, though the witch was almost the last thing I did in the area, until I had nothing else to do.
MusicallyInspired wrote: -Death in inn if not helped rat
True, this one I knew what to do. I can see how someone else wouldn't (or didn't react in time).
MusicallyInspired wrote: -Death by freezing
True, but this one even warns you about proceeding forward.
MusicallyInspired wrote: -Death by hunger
Never had this one happen. (Granted I ate the wrong thing way back when... which is needed for something else).
MusicallyInspired wrote: -Death by grappling branch instead of rock with rope
True, this one got me once in my most recent play through.
MusicallyInspired wrote: -Death by falling off numerous ledges
Well that's STANDARD in King's Quest. :lol:
MusicallyInspired wrote: -Death by stepping on wrong ledge on snowy mountains
-Death by not using sled
-Death by wolves for not playing harp
-Death by Yeti
-Death by hatchling if not helped Eagle
-Death by hole in boat
-Death by sea monster
-Death by Harpies for not playing harp
-Death by falling at Mordack's island (numerous ledges)
-Death by statue laser eyes
-Death by Mordack (for a MYRIAD of reasons, causing any disturbances at all like playing the organ, the cat seeing you, etc)
-Death in the prison (if haven't helped Cassima)
-Death by Mordack if not charged wand
-Death by Mordack if not helped Cedric
-Death by choosing wrong spells or not using spells in time (x6 I think)
That's all I can think of atm.
I think you made your point. :lol:

User avatar
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder
Posts: 2835
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:46 am
Gender: Male
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Contact:

Re: What are you playing now?

Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:55 pm

Lol to clarify, Common Sierra Sense plays a major factor. But take your average gamer, computer player/user, or even LucasArts gamer and sit them in front of King's Quest and they'll tell you how unfair it is.

Also, dead ends were a big factor. But there's always a death associated with it, which most people don't realize. There's no "walking dead" scenarios in KQ5. When it comes down to not having an appropriate item or having had performed an appropriate task, you will end up dying at the critical moment. There's no dead ends that don't allow you to continue or go backward.

The bottom-right-most screens in the desert have scorpions. I think it was the screens west of the anthill and the beehive (making the top-left-most screen with the gypsies the only safe entrance to the desert), but I could be remembering wrong. There are definitely scorpions close to that area, though.

I'm also pretty sure if you try taking honey from the beehive without getting rid of the bear, the bees will kill you. The bear doesn't show up unless you have the fish from the barrel in town. So if you don't get the fish there is no bear and getting the honey kills you.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001

User avatar
Semi-Happy Partygoer
Sierra Veteran
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:44 pm

Re: What are you playing now?

Post by Semi-Happy Partygoer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:45 pm

Tawmis wrote:I did get all of the Myst series on GoG when they became available also.
I did, too. I wish they were able to release III and IV, but apparently there have been legal issues with Ubisoft over those entries. I did read something about them finally getting a re-release this year, though, for the anniversary. I'd like to play them.

The only other Myst game I've completed is V, but that was a while back. I remember loving the visuals but being incredibly stumped at the gameplay. I required a LOT of help. I don't remember much of the plot, so when I next attempt it I'll try to do it myself. One thing I clearly remember was being incredibly irritated at Yeesha's voice, though part of it was the cheesy dialogue she had to deliver.
MusicallyInspired wrote:I loved realMyst. I saw it on the shelf once in a store years back but didn't have the money to pick it up. Luckily I acquired it later on (though, without the box), and again via GOG. I actually greatly prefer the original realMyst to the realMyst Masterpiece Edition. In the original every location has a day/night cycle. In the Masterpiece Edition only a couple places have a day/night cycle. I used to love just wandering around and experiencing the atmosphere at Stoneship and Myst island. Especially Stoneship in the rain with the rushing waters (looked incredible) or up at the peak where the telescope is. I used to listen to that very sparse music while looking off in the distance at the lightning flashes and seeing smaller islands. The water obviously looks better in Masterpiece Edition, but it doesn't have the same feel. The Masterpiece Edition really loses some of that charm.

I saw a screenshot from the Cyan team during Obduction's development that showed the Myst island remade again with the Unreal engine and it looks even better. They teased at another release if certain conditions were met or something. I'd love to have it. Obduction looks fantastic.

Also, love Riven. My favourite Myst. What a masterpiece. Love everything about it. Everything. Also really looking forward to the officially-sanctioned fan remake of Riven, "The Starry Expanse Project". Looking really good.

Also, who's going to be getting one of those nifty LED panel linking books from the new Myst 25th Anniversary Kickstarter tier? I really want one but I just moved and my wife is just getting a new job and we won't have the cash. My sister is getting one, though.
From what I've seen, the Masterpiece Edition certainly looks good, but I thought the island looked a bit...plastic. When I have a powerful enough machine I'll certainly give it a whirl, but I prefer the overall look and color scheme of the original realMyst.

I love the day/night cycles. Channelwood actually didn't have one, though. A publicity shot showed that it was going to, but for some reason it didn't make the finished product. I was unaware they'd removed more of them from the Masterpiece Edition. And I loved the stormy atmosphere of Stoneship as well. That's probably my favorite of the ages.

I was unaware of this Kickstarter campaign. I can't afford to contribute but I'm glad to know the series is very much alive.
"It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers" - James Thurber

User avatar
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder
Posts: 2835
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:46 am
Gender: Male
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Contact:

Re: What are you playing now?

Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:05 pm

Yes, the Kickstarter just started a week or two ago. It comes with all the Myst games (including III and IV finally) digitally, in a nifty Myst linking book box, a Myst linking book box with an active LED linking panel with animations from the games, a Gehn beetle inkwell and pen from Riven, and the highest tier ($1000, now sold out) offered 25 original sketches and concept art. Last I checked the campaign raised over 300% of its goal.

All the games (including III and IV) will be available digitally after the campaign to purchase (I believe) as well.

And yes, you're right. Now that I think of it I don't believe Channelwood had a day/night cycle after all. It is indeed a shame that more cycles were "removed" (I use quotes because really it was restarted from scratch in Unity for the Masterpiece Edition so it just was never implemented for certain ages). The day/night cycles and the atmospheric changes (like the stormy Stoneship age) were my favourite parts.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 13477
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: What are you playing now?

Post by Tawmis » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:57 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote: Lol to clarify, Common Sierra Sense plays a major factor. But take your average gamer, computer player/user, or even LucasArts gamer and sit them in front of King's Quest and they'll tell you how unfair it is.
And I may have been playing off muscle memory to avoid some of those.
MusicallyInspired wrote: Also, dead ends were a big factor. But there's always a death associated with it, which most people don't realize. There's no "walking dead" scenarios in KQ5. When it comes down to not having an appropriate item or having had performed an appropriate task, you will end up dying at the critical moment. There's no dead ends that don't allow you to continue or go backward.
Well, you can proceed past the eagle without helping him and go for quite a bit (especially if you eat that leg o' meat).
MusicallyInspired wrote: I'm also pretty sure if you try taking honey from the beehive without getting rid of the bear, the bees will kill you. The bear doesn't show up unless you have the fish from the barrel in town. So if you don't get the fish there is no bear and getting the honey kills you.
Ah ha. I never noticed that, because the fish is literally the first thing I pick up when I get to town.

So I assumed the bear was always there.

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 13477
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: What are you playing now?

Post by Tawmis » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:01 pm

Semi-Happy Partygoer wrote:
Tawmis wrote:I did get all of the Myst series on GoG when they became available also.
I did, too. I wish they were able to release III and IV, but apparently there have been legal issues with Ubisoft over those entries. I did read something about them finally getting a re-release this year, though, for the anniversary. I'd like to play them.
Ditto. I am having the same problem with Wizardry I - V. :(
MusicallyInspired wrote:Yes, the Kickstarter just started a week or two ago. It comes with all the Myst games (including III and IV finally) digitally, in a nifty Myst linking book box, a Myst linking book box with an active LED linking panel with animations from the games, a Gehn beetle inkwell and pen from Riven, and the highest tier ($1000, now sold out) offered 25 original sketches and concept art. Last I checked the campaign raised over 300% of its goal.
All the games (including III and IV) will be available digitally after the campaign to purchase (I believe) as well.
Yeah. I can't do anymore Kickstarters.

User avatar
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder
Posts: 2835
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:46 am
Gender: Male
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Contact:

Re: What are you playing now?

Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:14 pm

Tawmis wrote:Well, you can proceed past the eagle without helping him and go for quite a bit (especially if you eat that leg o' meat).
Yes, but then you die when you get dropped in the nest.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001

User avatar
Datadog
Great Incinerations
Posts: 1603
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:41 am
Location: Vancouver
Gender: Martian
Location: Vancouver, BC
Contact:

Re: What are you playing now?

Post by Datadog » Thu May 03, 2018 3:01 pm

Against recommendations, I started delving into my dark backlog on GOG the other night and booted up "Broken Sword 4". Because that icon's been nagging at me forever, and every now and then, I just want to take a chance on a terrible game.

And yes, it's as bad as they say. Probably moreso. I don't remember the 3D interface being this unpolished in the third game or causing me this much trouble. I frequently get stuck because the cursor doesn't always register hotspots or walkable areas. Even if I switch to keyboard controls, I'm constantly ramming George into walls (especially during the timed running puzzles). I looked up walkthroughs early on and was surprised to discover that because of the bugs, there isn't actually a reliable walkthrough for this game. It sounds like people just grind it until something works. It's kind of amazing that the game unironically has "broken" in its title.

I'm determined to finish it, though. Not because of the story (it doesn't have a good story either), but because this is an incredible learning experience from a game design perspective. I'm eager to see if it gets better or worse. Because so far, the high point of the game is a salami salesman who genuinely made me hungry for real-life salami.

User avatar
BBP
Village Elder
Posts: 4622
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:07 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: What are you playing now?

Post by BBP » Thu May 03, 2018 5:12 pm

It doesn't have many defenders, true... I'll admit to interest in playing it since I sort of enjoyed the first, second and third games. The third one is probably why you wouldn't want 3D puzzles and platform/stealth in adventure games. Numerous sections are nigh impossible to play because the controls are awkward and there are quite a few bits where you just "walk". The puzzles are in general of embarrassing simplicity, the story is so-so when you're a GK fan...
Mind you the camera work in that is pretty amazing, at times even gorgeous. And I can't deny it kept me out of bed.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 13477
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: What are you playing now?

Post by Tawmis » Thu May 03, 2018 8:24 pm

Datadog wrote: I'm determined to finish it, though. This is an incredible learning experience from a game design perspective. I'm eager to see if it gets better or worse.
So... like Codename: Iceman.
:lol:
BBP wrote: And I can't deny it kept me out of bed.
A bed infested with fleas will also keep you out of bed, doesn't mean it's a good thing! :lol:

User avatar
Datadog
Great Incinerations
Posts: 1603
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:41 am
Location: Vancouver
Gender: Martian
Location: Vancouver, BC
Contact:

Re: What are you playing now?

Post by Datadog » Fri May 04, 2018 1:39 am

Tawmis wrote:So... like Codename: Iceman.
:lol:
That very game came to mind when the walkthrough solution didn't work.
BBP wrote:The third one is probably why you wouldn't want 3D puzzles and platform/stealth in adventure games. Numerous sections are nigh impossible to play because the controls are awkward and there are quite a few bits where you just "walk".
I'm going to replay some of the third one after I finish, because I'm convinced the pathfinding wasn't this bad before. I generally don't have a problem with 3D navigation in adventure games, but with one, I'm struggling to make George walk across the room at times. I'll click on a door to right, and he'll do a 180 left and race into the foreground.

User avatar
BBP
Village Elder
Posts: 4622
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:07 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: What are you playing now?

Post by BBP » Fri May 04, 2018 2:04 am

3 has some issues. While playing it I was happy my savegames were still somewhere on my computer - the section at the Templars where you have timed puzzles and a stealth section were nigh impossible.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 13477
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: What are you playing now?

Post by Tawmis » Wed May 09, 2018 1:00 am

Boss reminded me Pillars of Eternity 2 came out today - so... the Hero-U beta testing is going to go on hold for awhile. :lol:
Attachments
Image1.png

User avatar
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One
Posts: 6289
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:15 am
Location: Lost in Translation
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: What are you playing now?

Post by Rath Darkblade » Wed May 09, 2018 9:37 am

Oh? I haven't played the original Pillars of Eternity, but I looked at articles on it (and on the second one) in wikipedia and on Steam.

PoE1 looks (graphically, at least) a little like a cross between Diablo 2 and NWN 1. Have I grasped it correctly? ;)

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 13477
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: What are you playing now?

Post by Tawmis » Wed May 09, 2018 10:22 am

Rath Darkblade wrote:Oh? I haven't played the original Pillars of Eternity, but I looked at articles on it (and on the second one) in wikipedia and on Steam.
PoE1 looks (graphically, at least) a little like a cross between Diablo 2 and NWN 1. Have I grasped it correctly? ;)
Yes. It is a combo of those; but with better graphics. :)

If you enjoy CRPGs, I'd HIGHLY recommend it. As I tell everyone - when you first start the game, it is rough - because you start the game (both you and your character) - not knowing very much - and it's... odd... in the beginning because of that... but it doesn't take too long for you (and the character) to piece together what's happened to you... and then the rest? Freaking incredible. PoEII so far starts off pretty damn amazing (you own a ship, and get attacked by pirates - so, you know I like it) :D

Post Reply