The Movie Thread.

Talk about anything you want here
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

The Movie Thread.

Post by Tawmis » Tue May 12, 2020 5:43 pm

We have one for music, so let's do a Movie thread.

While we're on lock down / Quarantine - a lot of are probably watching - or have watched - plenty of movies (or maybe just love movies in general).

I'd like to keep this just movies (so no episodic TV shows; including Game of Thrones and the like).

So we can discuss some movies we've watched, or just some movies we've (always) enjoyed (or even disliked).

So right now, I am currently watching Dredd (IMDB Link) (not to be confused with the Stallone Judge Dredd). Both are about the same character, however, Dredd is a superior movie. It ranks up there with some of my top MCU movies. I might even say it's above any of the MCU movies, for me.

I can't even express how sorely disappointed that this movie didn't score big in the theaters (it was before the comic movie buzz) and didn't get a lot of advertising.

I watch this movie on a very regular basis. It's incredible.

My iPad has two movies in it. Clue and Dredd.

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: The Movie Thread.

Post by Rath Darkblade » Wed May 13, 2020 3:37 am

Well ... the Judge Dredd film has to put up with Stallone as lead actor. So there's that. ;) Stallone is fine is an "action hero", but he doesn't emote much (if it all). His only reason for being there is 'cos he's a "tough guy".

It's not just Stallone - a whole bunch of actors are like that. Ah-nold. Bruce Willis. Jason Statham. Chuck Norris. Jean-Claude Van Damme. Stephen Seagal. And Mel Gibson - oh, gods, Mel Gibson. Please. (He's not a bad actor, just very, very vain and self-righteous. To me, that's off-putting).

Of course there are exceptions: Jackie Chan (who is very funny, as well as good at "kicking ass"). Harrison Ford. Sir Sean Connery, of course (yes, he's done action - first to play James Bond). Laurence Fishburne. Bruce Lee. I'd happily watch any of them. :) Class acts, each and every one.

I work from home, so I don't get to watch movies. Alas. :( The last thing I watched was an episodic TV show (which was very good and funny)! But I guess I can't mention it on this thread, yes? Oh well. *shrug*

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis » Wed May 13, 2020 2:55 pm

Rath Darkblade wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 3:37 am
Well ... the Judge Dredd film has to put up with Stallone as lead actor. So there's that. ;) Stallone is fine is an "action hero", but he doesn't emote much (if it all). His only reason for being there is 'cos he's a "tough guy".
It's not just Stallone - a whole bunch of actors are like that. Ah-nold. Bruce Willis. Jason Statham. Chuck Norris. Jean-Claude Van Damme. Stephen Seagal. And Mel Gibson - oh, gods, Mel Gibson. Please. (He's not a bad actor, just very, very vain and self-righteous. To me, that's off-putting).
Of course there are exceptions: Jackie Chan (who is very funny, as well as good at "kicking ass"). Harrison Ford. Sir Sean Connery, of course (yes, he's done action - first to play James Bond). Laurence Fishburne. Bruce Lee. I'd happily watch any of them. :) Class acts, each and every one.
I work from home, so I don't get to watch movies. Alas. :( The last thing I watched was an episodic TV show (which was very good and funny)! But I guess I can't mention it on this thread, yes? Oh well. *shrug*
Start a TV show thread. :)

I'd recommend DREDD (again, not JUDGE DREDD). It's fantastic. Has cussing in it. And blood. So... it's not like "MCU" niceness.
It's more along the lines of PUNISHER on Netflix. But better.

And wouldn't working from home allow you to watch movies?

Because, well, you're home.

And it doesn't have to be a movie you're watching currently. Any movie you liked or dislike.

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade » Thu May 14, 2020 8:39 am

I'm very much into Mel Brooks films (and have been for a long, long time). My favourite is Blazing Saddles, but I also have a soft spot for Spaceballs. ;) I like "History of the World, Part 1" - but it's kind of hit-and-miss. On the other hand, it has the fabulous "Caesar's Palace" sequence - and, of course, the Busby Berkeley-inspired "Inquisition" song. You know the one:

"The Inquisition!
Let's begin.
The Inquisition!
Look out, sin.
We know you're wishin'
that we'd go awaaayyyyy ...
but the inquisition's here, and it's here to staaaayyyy... " :lol:

Aside from Mel Brooks - I always liked Clue. Because how can you not like Tim Curry. And Madeline Khan. And Christopher Lloyd, Martin Mull, Michael McKean, Lesley Ann Warren, Eileen Brennan ... everyone contributes, it's all a happy, frenetic, campy send-up of any murder film (as well as Clue, the game). And it works. And I love it. :)

I also have the complete Extended LOTR and Hobbit box-sets on DVD. I liked PJ's LOTR much better than his Hobbit. LOTR was genuinely good, even if it didn't film everything - well, if it did, the film would be twice as long. ;) Hobbit was hit and miss, unfortunately. But it could've done with fewer ridiculous battle sequences (e.g. anything to do with Legolas or dwarves in barrels) and with more Tom Bombadil. ;)

What else ... I'm not sure what other movies I have on my shelf. I'll have to look. But hopefully these will do for now? ;)

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:29 am

This isn't a movie, but I was watching it earlier today --- and wishing it would be made into a movie. :D (Caution: copyright. But YouTube is full of copyright things).

McBain (The full movie in HD)

... and just for fun ...

UNICEF pennies

(Because where would action movies be without commie-Nazis?) :lol:

Damn, these are stupid. But in a hilarious way.

Semi-Happy Partygoer
Sierra Veteran

Post by Semi-Happy Partygoer » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:10 am

I’ve rewatched a number of film series during lockdown that I haven’t seen in a while - Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Harry Potter, Alien, Psycho - but have also made a point of watching movies I’d never seen before, like the first two Terminators, Tropic Thunder and A.I: Artificial Intelligence (which absolutely wrecked me).
"It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers" - James Thurber

BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:19 pm

It recently occurred to me I don't watch many movies anymote - since I have a number of directors and actors I am a fan of I found that noticeable.

Earlier this year I watched Chicago (2009) for the first time, that's the only new film I really enjoyed watching in the past ten months. Oh and I went back to my Spaghetti Westerns when Morricone passed away.
There's a new script around: PHANTASMAGORIA! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts