Chester Cornfield: Old Timey Detective

Talk about games or general tech issues that are not Sierra related.

Chester Cornfield: Old Timey Detective

Postby Datadog » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:39 am

Howdy, people!

I just made a new game in Unity (well, my first game in Unity), using Chris Burton's Adventure Creator. It's a short detective game set in Old York City where a detective must crack the case of a mysterious food poisoning. It comes fully voiced with 3D graphics and a point 'n click interface, plus it's free, so give it a go when you have half an hour to spare!

Download Chester Cornfield at GameJolt!

Hope you enjoy!
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Re: Chester Cornfield: Old Timey Detective

Postby Rath Darkblade » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:57 am

:lol: I've had a look at the screenshots and the trailer. It looks pretty funny. ("Now showing - Oncoming train"). :D I remember reading about that - Lumière Brothers, 1895! Am I right? ;)

Downloading now... I'll let you know what I think of it, Datadog. ;)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Postby Rath Darkblade » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:01 am

Well, I've now finished playing it! Very good and very funny. :lol:

I had fun looking around Chester's office, trying to interact with everything, and trying every way of talking to the witnesses. :) I like Chester's (and everyone else's) casual indifference to hard liquor and hatred of personal cleanliness. :P

I was worried for a while that I was going to badger poor Mary and stuff up the investigation, but it turns out that there's no way to stuff up the investigation. ;)

I had a good laugh trying to read the diplomas and the press story. :D

Two questions: How did the voice actor for the mayor get to sound so "stubbed ub"? ;) Oh, and what's the story behind Chester and Chlodwig? I can see you've given Chlodwig a blond Hitler moustache and a kind-of Hitler-esque haircut. Was that deliberate?

I also notice one bug, though - when I entered the diner and immediately came out again, the two pieces of piano music played across each other, creating havoc. However, I went back to the office and came back to the crime scene, and everything was okay again. :)

Good job, Datadog! Two thumbs up. :D
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Postby Datadog » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:48 pm

Rath Darkblade wrote:Two questions: How did the voice actor for the mayor get to sound so "stubbed ub"? ;)

That role was somewhat typecast. The voice actor has a share of inebriated escapades on his podcast. But he pulled off the role sober (I'm assuming), so he's also good at what he does. :)

Oh, and what's the story behind Chester and Chlodwig? I can see you've given Chlodwig a blond Hitler moustache and a kind-of Hitler-esque haircut. Was that deliberate?

Chester and Chlodwig's backstory is really just Chester being jealous of how happy his half-brother is all the time. As far as the Hitler design goes, Chlodwig didn't start out that way. I originally wanted one goofy character with a Chaplin 'stache, bow tie and bowler hat, but the further into design I got, the more German he became (the Three Little Pigs from Shrek were a huge influence.) But, yes, it was a deliberate choice in the end.

I also notice one bug, though - when I entered the diner and immediately came out again, the two pieces of piano music played across each other, creating havoc. However, I went back to the office and came back to the crime scene, and everything was okay again. :)

Whoo! First official bug reported! Thanks! :D
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Postby Collector » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:07 pm

Datadog wrote:That role was somewhat typecast. The voice actor has a share of inebriated escapades on his podcast. But he pulled off the role sober (I'm assuming), so he's also good at what he does. :)

Troels of Frederick?
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Collector
Grand Poobah

Postby Datadog » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:58 pm

Frederick was kind enough to lend his voice. :)
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Postby Rath Darkblade » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:00 am

Hmmm... not a bug, but possibly a way to make the game better... :)

As I said, I had a good laugh trying to read the diplomas and the press story. ;) Unfortunately, I never have enough time to read them, and I had to examine them four or five times to do so. Also, I find that the subtitles get in the way.

Is it possible to be given more time to read them? I just thought they were hilarious. :D
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Postby adeyke » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:23 am

A cute little game.

Some issues:
  • One line in the opening phone call didn't have audio for me the first time through. I wasn't able to reproduce this error, though.
  • The subtitles are a bit hard to read if they're over a very busy-looking background (like Chester's carpet).
  • If you interact with the Personal Files, the word "lest" is used as though it were a synonym for "unless", but that's not what it means.
  • In the diner, it's possible to click a "008" hotspot even while not traversing the floor.
  • The text in the Old Wives' Tales book and the end credits was rather blurry.
adeyke
Sierra Veteran

Postby Datadog » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:35 pm

Rath Darkblade wrote:As I said, I had a good laugh trying to read the diplomas and the press story. ;) Unfortunately, I never have enough time to read them, and I had to examine them four or five times to do so. Also, I find that the subtitles get in the way. Is it possible to be given more time to read them? I just thought they were hilarious. :D

This was brought up a few times. Maybe I'll add a back button for those in the next version.

adeyke wrote:Some issues:
One line in the opening phone call didn't have audio for me the first time through. I wasn't able to reproduce this error, though.
The subtitles are a bit hard to read if they're over a very busy-looking background (like Chester's carpet).
If you interact with the Personal Files, the word "lest" is used as though it were a synonym for "unless", but that's not what it means.
In the diner, it's possible to click a "008" hotspot even while not traversing the floor.
The text in the Old Wives' Tales book and the end credits was rather blurry.

Nice! A few more to fix, for sure.
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Postby Rath Darkblade » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:24 am

So, Datadog... will Chester be returning in another episode, perhaps? ;) I think this particular short was only episode 1, and the end of the short said that he went on to solve other cases too. :)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Return to Non-Sierra Games & Help