So ... here's a bit of news. (Baldur's Gate 3)

Talk about games or general tech issues that are not Sierra related.
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

So ... here's a bit of news. (Baldur's Gate 3)

Post by Rath Darkblade » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:11 am

Baldur's Gate 3 is coming out -- BUT!!!

<<<WARNING, DANGER DANGER WILL ROBINSON>>>
The teaser videos are a very graphic depiction of how mind flayers are created, and what happens when they are born. :shock: DO NOT watch the teasers at work, or anywhere near children. :shock: I'm not kidding!
<<</WARNING, DANGER DANGER WILL ROBINSON>>>

I tried watching the teasers, and And ... ohhh, ick. :| I just learned what ceremorphosis is. And where mind flayers come from. Now there's a bit of Nightmare Fuel I didn't need. I think I need some Brain Bleach (aka alcohol) ... ;)

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: So ... here's a bit of news. (Baldur's Gate 3)

Post by Tawmis » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:33 am

I rememeber playing BG1 eons ago. I know I played BG2, but don't know that I finished.

It's an interesting take they're using for Mind Flayers/Illithid.

DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:42 pm

Well, after looking at gameplay footage of reviewers who bought the game in Early Access, I have to say that the devs managed to do something that BioWare never could: make hair that looks good. It comes in a variety of styles (including long hair!) and actually moves. Also, they managed to make decent facial hair! Almost no game has good facial hair.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:33 am

Huh, interesting. After the initial hullabaloo about BG3 (OMG the sky is falling etc.), the game's price on GOG dropped from $89.95 (AUS) to $59.95 (AUS). That's quite a drop. ;) Any idea why?

Naturally, it's still in development.

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:37 am

Not sure. Not been keeping an eye on it, since my system would choke trying to play it. So I am not sure if it was expensive here and dropped too (in the US).

DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:01 am

No idea if the price dropped in the US, but I'm pretty sure it's remained the same ($79.99) in Canadian dollars on both Steam and GOG.

Maia's been thinking of paying for it now, even though it's in Early Access, if for no other reason than to give feedback.

Apparently some asshats have voiced their disapproval of players being able to save when and where they want. According to these imbeciles, players shouldn't be allowed to save at their own discretion as forcing players to play a specific way means "having to accept the consequences of your actions." Also, there seems to be an issue where players "forget to save" in games with manual saves. If you're too inept (or lazy) to stop for a second and save, then you're a moron.

Ugh. I can't understand why ANYONE would actually prefer checkpoint saves.

Regardless, I doubt Larian would actually listen to these nutjobs. Their previous games have allowed manual saves, quicksaves, and autosaves, and it looks like they're continuing that model.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:32 am

Sounds good to me. *nods* The more save-points, the better. :)

"Having to accept the consequences of your actions"? Yes, most games give you different options (e.g. in dialogue) which lead to different consequences. So you can try one way, then another. But regardless of that, I usually think about the options I have, try to imagine where they would lead, and then choose the one that most appeals to me -- and if it leads to a bad consequence (except an insta-death, of course), so be it.

Obviously these cretins haven't played very many RPGs. Think about your dialogue options. Imagine where they would lead. Does no-one do that anymore? Gosh, Roleplayer, what strange ideas you have. :P