Flash Offliner - play Flash games offline!

Talk about games or general tech issues that are not Sierra related.

Flash Offliner - play Flash games offline!

Postby DeadPoolX » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:10 pm

NOTE: The following process looks far more complicated than it actually is because I explained each step in detail. Doing all of this is really very quick and easy.

Sometimes I like to play Flash games. They're quick, easy to run and generally require little-to-no commitment. I've recently found a program called Flash Offliner. As the name suggests, it allows you to play Flash games offline.

Good sites to visit:

Download the Flash Game:
Firefox
  • (OPTION 1) On the FF Menu Bar, click TOOLS -> PAGE INFO -> MEDIA -> find the SWF file and click SAVE AS
  • (OPTION 2) Download an add-on called Download Helper for Firefox. There are other programs that work similarly, but I've had the most success with this one.

Internet Explorer
On the IE Menu Bar, click TOOLS -> INTERNET OPTIONS -> GENERAL -> SETTINGS (under browser history) -> VIEW FILES.

You'll need to find the SWF file through a mess of other files, so choose VIEW -> ARRANGE BY TYPE. You'll also need to go to TOOLS -> FOLDER OPTIONS -> and uncheck HIDE EXTENSIONS FOR KNOWN FILE TYPES. Once you've found the SWF, click COPY and PASTE the file wherever you want.

Opera
  • (OPTION 1) Go to TOOLS -> ADVANCED -> CACHE, find the SWF file and choose either SAVED LINKED CONTENT or SAVE TO DOWNLOAD.
  • (OPTION 2) Type OPERA:CACHE in the address bar, find the SWF file and choose either SAVED LINKED CONTENT or SAVE TO DOWNLOAD.

Google Chrome
At the upper right-hand section of the toolbar, click on an icon that resembles a "turned page." Click on DEVELOPER -> VIEW SOURCE. Find the SWF file, right-click on it and choose SAVE LINK AS...

Flash Offliner:
Once you've downloaded your SWF, activate Flash Offliner. An icon with a stylized "F" should appear in your SysTray. Right-click on the icon and choose FLASH OFFLINER MENU -> CREATE NEW FLASH OFFLINER PACKAGE.

You can name your Flash Offliner package whatever you want (I'd suggest the actual name of the Flash game) and you can fill in the other areas if you wish, but none of those are required.

Click SELECT GAME FILE, choose the SWF and then click START PACKING. A new file with an extension of "FOP" should appear.

Now right-click on the Flash Offliner icon and choose FLASH OFFLINER MENU -> INSTALL FLASH OFFLINER PACKAGE. Select the FOP file and that's it!

You can now play that Flash game whenever you wish, whether or not you have an Internet connection. This is also good for traveling since you might not always have online access.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Re: Flash Offliner - play Flash games offline!

Postby Collector » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:25 pm

I'll sticky this for anyone who might find it useful. Rarely do I want to save a Flash game. Most of them are such throw away games, but there have been a couple of times that I have wanted to go back to a game, only to find that it had gone AWOL on the Net.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Collector
Grand Poobah

Postby DeadPoolX » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:29 am

Thanks for the sticky! :D

There are a lot of Adventure games made with Flash and some of them are quite good. In fact, a lot of them seem to be modeled after the point-and-click Sierra/LucasArts interface.

Oh and I should probably mention that some Flash games are NOT compatible with Flash Offliner. However, most Flash games work just fine.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Postby Bunseth » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:00 am

:?: I got one question why I can't play some games like endless war 3-4 and other on flashoffliner? Cause whenever I lunch the game. It alway blank! Please tell what wrong with it? :cry:
Bunseth
Noob

Postby Tawmis » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:57 pm

Bunseth wrote::?: I got one question why I can't play some games like endless war 3-4 and other on flashoffliner? Cause whenever I lunch the game. It alway blank! Please tell what wrong with it? :cry:

I would make sure you have the latest version of FLASH is my initial guess.
Assuming you're not a spambot -
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Postby DeadPoolX » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:18 pm

Bunseth wrote::?: I got one question why I can't play some games like endless war 3-4 and other on flashoffliner? Cause whenever I lunch the game. It alway blank! Please tell what wrong with it? :cry:

That's a problem with FO. It'll play most Flash games, but it has trouble with some. Unfortunately, you won't know which games those are until you have already downloaded and tried the game out.

I'm not sure WHY this occurs. Maybe because Flash games weren't really meant to be played offline or some games have a component built in that requires it to be online. Whatever the reason, FO won't play all games.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Postby Bunseth » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:28 am

:cry:
Bunseth
Noob

Postby Tawmis » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:04 pm

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Return to Non-Sierra Games & Help