Some Good CRPGs?

Talk about games or general tech issues that are not Sierra related.
User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 10519
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Some Good CRPGs?

Post by Tawmis » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:28 pm

Anyone play some good CRPGs (Computer Roleplaying Games)? I prefer the "party" style (where it's more than one character) - but would love to hear about some great CRPGs you have played - because I am looking for a new (even if its old) game to play.

User avatar
AndreaDraco
Village Elder
Posts: 3464
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:07 am
Gender: Male
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: Some Good CRPGs?

Post by AndreaDraco » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:26 pm

The ones I loved the most are Morrowind and Oblivion, which you promised to try again! :P

I liked a lot Arcanum of Steamwork & Magick Obscura and the first Fallout.

The first Neverwinter Nights (a favorite of my mate) was good, even if I don't like Dungeons & Dragons.
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 10519
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: Some Good CRPGs?

Post by Tawmis » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:13 pm

AndreaDraco83 wrote:The ones I loved the most are Morrowind and Oblivion, which you promised to try again! :P
I will! :)
AndreaDraco83 wrote: The first Neverwinter Nights (a favorite of my mate) was good, even if I don't like Dungeons & Dragons.
You might (and your mate, especially) give a look-see at this.

User avatar
Collector
Grand Poobah
Posts: 11029
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:57 am
Location: Sierraland
Contact:

Re: Some Good CRPGs?

Post by Collector » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:18 pm

Yserbius?
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Image

User avatar
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!
Posts: 3925
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:00 pm
Gender: XY
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Some Good CRPGs?

Post by DeadPoolX » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:03 pm

You might want to give Fallout 2 a try and Fallout 3 will be released on October 28 to 31, depending on where you live.

I'd pass on Neverwinter Nights 2, since the graphics weren't utilized properly (the surroundings look good, but the characters don't) and seems to be a real memory hog. It tends to crash machines a lot.

If you haven't played Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, I'd definitely recommend that game. That's probably my favorite single-player RPG of all time. Jade Empire is also good (but uses a real-time combat engine) and Mass Effect is supposed to be incredible. Unfortunately, ME was developed with a psychotic form of copy protection and only allows the player to install and activate their game THREE TIMES. If you exceed that number, your game will become an expensive doorstop, unless you can somehow convince EA that you need an extra activation.

If you're looking to try an MMO, then Guild Wars would probably be best. It's extremely user-friendly and very forgiving, since it's made with the "casual gamer" in mind. There's no monthly fee and the graphics are outstanding. Plus, it can run on lower-end computers without problem. You do need to purchase the actual game, however, so it's not entirely "free" like some might claim.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 10519
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: Some Good CRPGs?

Post by Tawmis » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:22 pm

DeadPoolX wrote: Mass Effect is supposed to be incredible. Unfortunately, ME was developed with a psychotic form of copy protection and only allows the player to install and activate their game THREE TIMES. If you exceed that number, your game will become an expensive doorstop, unless you can somehow convince EA that you need an extra activation.
Correct me if I am wrong (as I often am) - but they did away with this in the end and did not use it on Mass Effect.

I assume you mean DRM (Digital Rights Management) - Mass Effect and Spore dodge a bullet.

User avatar
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!
Posts: 3925
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:00 pm
Gender: XY
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Some Good CRPGs?

Post by DeadPoolX » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:49 pm

Tawmis wrote:
DeadPoolX wrote: Mass Effect is supposed to be incredible. Unfortunately, ME was developed with a psychotic form of copy protection and only allows the player to install and activate their game THREE TIMES. If you exceed that number, your game will become an expensive doorstop, unless you can somehow convince EA that you need an extra activation.
Correct me if I am wrong (as I often am) - but they did away with this in the end and did not use it on Mass Effect.

I assume you mean DRM (Digital Rights Management) - Mass Effect and Spore dodge a bullet.
You're both right and wrong.

BioWare and EA did do away with the old DRM copy protection scheme. However, they put another one in its place. The newer protection is much worse, since instead of insisting on authenticating itself every 10 days, you are only allowed three installations and activations. After that, your game becomes a very pretty (and expensive) paper weight.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 10519
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: Some Good CRPGs?

Post by Tawmis » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:06 pm

DeadPoolX wrote: BioWare and EA did do away with the old DRM copy protection scheme. However, they put another one in its place. The newer protection is much worse, since instead of insisting on authenticating itself every 10 days, you are only allowed three installations and activations. After that, your game becomes a very pretty (and expensive) paper weight.
Seems to be more of an EA thing... than a Bioware thing. Unfortunately EA came by and took over Bioware... the worse thing to happen to Bioware, ever. It reminds me of when Sierra got taken over... and I'd hate that for happen to Bioware as they're currently my favorite gaming company (that's still around).

User avatar
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!
Posts: 3925
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:00 pm
Gender: XY
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Some Good CRPGs?

Post by DeadPoolX » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:28 pm

Tawmis wrote:
DeadPoolX wrote: BioWare and EA did do away with the old DRM copy protection scheme. However, they put another one in its place. The newer protection is much worse, since instead of insisting on authenticating itself every 10 days, you are only allowed three installations and activations. After that, your game becomes a very pretty (and expensive) paper weight.
Seems to be more of an EA thing... than a Bioware thing. Unfortunately EA came by and took over Bioware... the worse thing to happen to Bioware, ever. It reminds me of when Sierra got taken over... and I'd hate that for happen to Bioware as they're currently my favorite gaming company (that's still around).
You're right -- it is more of an EA policy than a BioWare one. However, EA didn't "take over" BioWare or at least, not technically. BioWare decided to sell to EA, which makes them just as much at fault as EA (if not more so).

The good news is that EA is allowing BioWare to function as they used to, with minimal interference. I'm sure EA realized BioWare's projects earned money (which is why they bought them) and if they mess with the formula too much, sales might go down.

Just to note: Mass Effect only has that copy protection scheme on the PC version. It's also available on the Xbox 360. It seems many of BioWare's games first appeared on the original Xbox as well (i.e. Knights of the Old Republic and Jade Empire). Some games are still PC-only, like Neverwinter Nights 2 and Dragon Age whenever that's supposed to get released.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 10519
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: Some Good CRPGs?

Post by Tawmis » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:14 pm

DeadPoolX wrote: Just to note: Mass Effect only has that copy protection scheme on the PC version. It's also available on the Xbox 360. It seems many of BioWare's games first appeared on the original Xbox as well (i.e. Knights of the Old Republic and Jade Empire). Some games are still PC-only, like Neverwinter Nights 2 and Dragon Age whenever that's supposed to get released.
Aye, I have it all for the XBOX360. It's where all of my Bioware Games are - except NWN (which is what I am sure ye meant vs NWN2, which was by Obsidian).

User avatar
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!
Posts: 3925
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:00 pm
Gender: XY
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Some Good CRPGs?

Post by DeadPoolX » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:42 pm

Tawmis wrote:
DeadPoolX wrote: Just to note: Mass Effect only has that copy protection scheme on the PC version. It's also available on the Xbox 360. It seems many of BioWare's games first appeared on the original Xbox as well (i.e. Knights of the Old Republic and Jade Empire). Some games are still PC-only, like Neverwinter Nights 2 and Dragon Age whenever that's supposed to get released.
Aye, I have it all for the XBOX360. It's where all of my Bioware Games are - except NWN (which is what I am sure ye meant vs NWN2, which was by Obsidian).
Well, okay... Obsidian did develop NWN2. However, BioWare's name is still on the game, since its using the Aurora Engine. A technicality to be sure, but it's true. ;)
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)

User avatar
Maiandra
Oldbie
Posts: 973
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:14 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Some Good CRPGs?

Post by Maiandra » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:30 pm

I found NWN2 a system hog and I thought the character models looked terrible for the system requirements of the game, especially the PC. However, I did enjoy the game for the most part. I liked the party interaction in it and some of the party characters were fairly well fleshed out.

Jade Empire has been great. It's a refreshing break from the usual dark, medievalesque settings of most RPGs. Not only does it have a good dose of humour, but the outdoor settings are gorgeous and the story is fairly good. I would say it has a bit more action feel than some RPGs just due to the fighting style. I didn't like the fact that you are limited in how you customise your character (a minor complaint, though). It's a game that's worth playing, if you like RPGs.

There are some action-rpgs like Deus Ex (1 and 2) that I found really enjoyable as well, if you like a more futuristic setting. I usually set the combat to easy on these and it makes them a bit more manageable. Storywise I slightly prefer DX1. However, I found the story:combat ration and pacing to be better in DX2.
"I have always felt that violence was the last refuge of the incompetent, and empty threats the last sanctuary of the terminally inept."
--The Marquis de Carabas in Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

User avatar
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!
Posts: 3925
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:00 pm
Gender: XY
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Some Good CRPGs?

Post by DeadPoolX » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:51 am

AndreaDraco wrote:The ones I loved the most are Morrowind and Oblivion, which you promised to try again! :P

I liked a lot Arcanum of Steamwork & Magick Obscura and the first Fallout.
I find it interesting that you enjoyed Morrowind and Oblivion. Many RPG gamers (but not all) dislike those games, due to the "sandbox" feel of them. I've heard it called little more than a "simulation" as opposed to an RPG."

I disagree, since RPGs can be made differently. Morrowind and Oblivion both had stories, but unlike other RPGs, you were able to completely deviate from the plotline and do whatever you want. I liked that. Besides, Morrowind and Oblivion had the typical trappings of an RPG -- stats, quests, magic, fighting, classes, moronic townspeople, etc.

A couple of things that really bothered me about Arcanum were...

1. Technologists were at a severe disadvantage. It was quite difficult to find schematics and the parts to make use of them. Even worse, most technologist weaponry (i.e. firearms) did relatively low damage when compared to magic.

2. The game consistently slowed to a crawl when in large cities. This slow down effect occurred even if the gamer playing it had a PC well above the system requirements. I think that was due to Arcanum relying far more on the processor than on the video card (if it did at all).
Collector wrote:Yserbius?
I can't believe anyone actually remembers that game. I played The Shadow of Yserbius and The Fates of Twinion on The Sierra Network (later called The ImagiNation Network). If I recall correctly, it was also released as a stand-alone game.

It wasn't a very good RPG, but at the time, it was one of the only ways people could play online together. In addition, that game came out in 1992, so there's no way the game play and graphics could approach anything on store shelves today.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)

User avatar
AndreaDraco
Village Elder
Posts: 3464
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:07 am
Gender: Male
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: Some Good CRPGs?

Post by AndreaDraco » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:15 am

DeadPoolX wrote:Morrowind and Oblivion both had stories, but unlike other RPGs, you were able to completely deviate from the plotline and do whatever you want. I liked that. Besides, Morrowind and Oblivion had the typical trappings of an RPG -- stats, quests, magic, fighting, classes, moronic townspeople, etc.
That's what I love about them: I can construct my own hero and do whatever I want, even do a little bit of actual roleplaying, but - above all - I can meaningless wander about and look at things, touch things, explore the environments freely, enter a cave if I want or proceed to the next city if I'm not in the mood of fighting.

My only complaint about them is that, with increasing levels, the heroes tend to resemble each other, loosing some of the peculiar characteristics they had in the beginning.

On a personal note, I usually play Oblivion (and Morrowind before) with three characters: a Breton Mage, an Imperial Diplomat (custom class) and a Khajiit Thief/Rogue ;)
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!

User avatar
AndreaDraco
Village Elder
Posts: 3464
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:07 am
Gender: Male
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: Some Good CRPGs?

Post by AndreaDraco » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:46 pm

I just bought and played (about an hour) Fallout 3: I'm amazed! Wonderful!
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!

Post Reply