For some time I've been making a list of freeware titles that are closely modelled after well-known, classic games, or outright started as freeware clones of certain games. Here's what I've got so far:
- a game that combines elements from Boulder Dash
, Emerald Mine
- a Scorched Earth
- a Worms
clone about hedgehogs.
- another Worms
- a multiplayer game that follows the best traditions of Doom
and Unreal Tournament
- a Counter-Strike
-like multiplayer game that uses the Cube
- a project aimed at creating a free data set for a Heretic
-like game to be used with Doom
engine source ports, much like Freedoom
- a game like Doom
, but more oriented towards open areas. Has lots of single- and multiplayer games.
Cube 2: Sauerbraten
- a sequel to Cube
with more features and various improvements.
- a free data set to be used with Doom
source ports to create a free equivalent of Doom
- originally it was a commercial add-on for Doom II
, later released for free, and recently it had become stand-alone, no longer requiring Doom II
to be installed to play.
- an interesting FPS that uses the Doom
engine and has some artistically done graphics and music.
- a free data set to be used with the Quake III Arena
Managerial strategy games:
- a Transport Tycoon Deluxe
engine recreation that allows to use custom data sets, effectively making it a free game.
, Crimelife 2
, Crimelife III
- Grand Theft Auto
Frets on Fire
- a Guitar Hero
- a platform game by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw made in the style of Flashback
- a tribute to the Turrican
game series that uses nice pre-rendered graphics.
- a hybrid of The Lost Vikings
and Ren & Stimpy
Return of Egypt
- this game is very much like Castlevania
series games, taking place in Ancient Egypt.
- a Lemmings
clone with penguins.
Real-time strategy games:
- an Age of Empires
lookalike, still in development. Very promising. There's a playable alpha available.
- a real oldie, inspired by Dune II
and Command & Conquer
by Stefan Hendriks, author of Dune 2 - The Maker
- a sc-fi strategy that uses the Stratagus engine
and looks somewhat like KKnD
- something along the lines of Command & Conquer: Red Alert
- this game resembles Dark Colony
- a Command & Conquer
clone made in 3D with features like day/night cycle and some other enhancements.
- a game that strongly resembles Warcraft II
, with all sprites having been digitized from clay models.
- a fantasy/steampunk 3D strategy game in the style of Warcraft III
. There are many modifications and enhancements to the original game available.
- a real-time strategy that looks a lot
and generally has excellent graphics.
- a "colonization" type real-time strategy that follows in the footsteps of the Anno
- a Settlers II
- a racing car simulator not unlike The Need for Speed
- a freeware equivalent of Microsoft Flight Simulator
- an Elite
Turn-based strategy games:
The Battle for Wesnoth
- this well-known freeware title combines elements from console games Warsong
and Master of Monsters
- a Civilization
- a freeware counterpart to Civilization II
- the online version of Freeciv
- a Colonization
- a Warlords II
clone/remake made in Java.
- a 4X strategy game modelled after Master of Orion
- the authors characterize this game as a cross between Celtic Legends
, Heroes of Might & Magic
- another Warlords II
UFO: Alien Invasion
- a game that pays homage to the X-COM
series, but in 3D.
- a very nice browser-based Warlords II
The Wargame Project
- a medieval fantasy strategy that resembles Warlords
but has a lot of innovative features making it much more complex.