Shadow of Destiny

Talk about games or general tech issues that are not Sierra related.

Shadow of Destiny

Postby DeadPoolX » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:07 pm

I don't know if anyone has heard of this Adventure Game, but in 2001, Konami released Shadow of Destiny for the PS2. A year later, it was moved to the PC. I've only played the PS2 copy, so I don't know if the PC conversion was successful or not.

The basic premise is that you are murdered. A mysterious entity grants you the ability to travel through time and attempt to prevent your death. While you can time travel in the present, you also get to travel to the early 20th century and the Middle Ages. The important thing to remember in SoD is that time is a fragile thing, so anything you do or don't do in the past -- whether it's half an hour ago or hundreds of years before your own birth -- can affect the time line greatly.

There are several different endings depending on your choices you make. That adds a lot to the replay value.

One thing to remember is that since it was originally created for the PS2 and in 2001, the graphics are subpar by today's standards. The controls were also designed for the PS2 gamepad, but I have to assume there's some provision for the mouse-and-keyboard on the PC version. The good news is that SoD can be bought for a relatively low price today, either on Amazon or eBay (the last time I looked, anyway).
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Re: Shadow of Destiny

Postby Tawmis » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:18 pm

Hrm - sounds like a pretty cool concept for a game. Can you travel back and forth and see what the effects are that you influence and go back and try to change them again?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Postby DeadPoolX » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:19 pm

Yes, you can. In fact, that's something you're supposed to do in the game.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Postby Tawmis » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:57 pm

So how do you reach the end then? It seems like you'd keep going back and changing it till it was all perfect. I know you mentioned multiple endings - but if you can keep going back - it just seems like you'd do that till it was perfect.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Postby DeadPoolX » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:30 pm

It's a bit difficult to explain, but you can't always time travel at will. So eventually, your actions reach an ending.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Return to Non-Sierra Games & Help