Free alternatives to classic games

Talk about games or general tech issues that are not Sierra related.
MrFlibble
The Amazing Mr. Flibble- Free Game Finder

Free alternatives to classic games

Post by MrFlibble » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:52 am

Just as the title suggests, this is an attempt to list free games that very closely follow a well-known product or franchise and can thus serve as an alternative to that particular game. These are mostly non-commercial projects, but shareware and liberated (formerly commercial) games are also included, and marked accordingly (by an S or an L).

What I have not included on the list are multiplayer-only games, browser-based games, and all kinds of free-to-play and "freemium" online products. I have also tried not to include projects that make use of original assets like graphics and sounds (unless authorized by original copyright holders, as is the case of T2002), so games like Mortal Kombat Project, Gods Deluxe or Return of the Triad are not on the list. Another thing out of the scope of this list are engine recreations that require original game assets to work.

Any further suggestions as to what games qualify as free alternatives are more then welcome :)

Age of Empires Anno series Battle Isle 2200 BoulderDash Castlevania series Chaos Command & Conquer Command & Conquer: Renegade Crimsonland Dark Colony Diablo Doom Doom II Duke Nukem Dune II Earth 2150 Earthworm Jim Elite Exile series Grand Theft Auto series Guitar Hero Gun Half-Life: Counterstrike Heretic Heroes of Might and Magic series Jill of the Jungle KKnD Legends of Valour Lemmings Lost Vikings Master of Magic Master of Orion Microsoft Flight Simulator Might and Magic series The Need For Speed Quake III: Arena Scorched Earth Secret Agent The Settlers II: Veni, Vidi, Vici Sid Meier's Civilization II Sid Meier's Colonization SimCity Sonic the Hedgehog Space Hulk StarCraft Street Fighter II Super Mario Bros. Super Mario Kart Total Annihilation Transport Tycoon Deluxe Turrican series Ultima I-V Ultima VI Ultima VII Unreal series Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos Warsong Warlords Warlords II Wolfenstein 3D Worms X-COM: Enemy Unknown

MrFlibble
The Amazing Mr. Flibble- Free Game Finder

Re: Free alternatives to classic games

Post by MrFlibble » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:20 pm

nickherc
Sierra Fan Wanna Be

Re: Free alternatives to classic games

Post by nickherc » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:31 am

Wow, thank you for this! I'm very intrigued especially by AOE spin off, or how should I call it. Has anyone tried any on the list? Any thoughts?