Heroine's Quest

Talk about games or general tech issues that are not Sierra related.

Heroine's Quest

Postby DeadPoolX » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:00 am

Heroine's Quest is now available to download (for free!) on Steam.

What is Heroine's Quest? Basically, it's an homage to the HQ/QFG games, set in Norse mythology.

Obviously, you play a female this time, otherwise the title wouldn't make sense (unless drugs were involved, but that seems more appropriate in a PQ game).

In case you're wondering, you can't get it from developer's website, as the "download" button redirects you to the game's Steam page. So far it's not available on GOG, either.

For those of you who hate Steam, you CAN play Heroine's Quest without activating Steam itself, even though you have to download and install it through it.

To play Heroine's Quest without Steam, go to it's installation directory. The default path on Windows 7 is: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Heroine's Quest

Once there, find the file entitled "Heroine's Quest.exe" and make a shortcut of it. Now using that shortcut you can start and play the game without ever needing Steam, other than to initially download and install it, of course.

(If you're already in Steam, DO NOT right-click on the game's title in your library and choose "Create Desktop Shortcut." That will create a shortcut that requires Steam to play.)

As far as I can tell, there are only two minor benefits to playing Heroine's Quest through Steam: an easy way to take screenshots and gain achievements. Normally I don't care about achievements, but some of them are quite humorous and make references to QFG-related material.

That said, if none of the above matters to you at all, you now have a nice and easy way to play the game without Steam, should you want it.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Re: Heroine's Quest

Postby Tawmis » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:16 pm

You had me at "Heroine's Quest" (considering the recent talk of female gamers and characters)...
Then Norse mythology...
Then a homage to QFG?!
AND it's FREE?

Yes please!

(Installing now...)
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Postby Rath Darkblade » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:55 am

Heroine's Quest is also available from the following mirrors, if (like me) you would rather not involve Steam at all:

German mirror
IndieB mirror

The game's soundtrack is available here.

(All links freely available from the AGS forums, here). :)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Postby Rath Darkblade » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:56 pm

Whoops... apologies, but the earlier links are to v1.0 (whereas now, the game is up to v1.2). My mistake! Here is a direct link to the updated version from Screen 7. Please feel free to ignore the previous link. :oops: (I wish I could simply edit my previous post or delete it, but I don't seem to be able to delete my own posts... does anyone know if this is possible?) *curious*

On another matter... I started playing HQ 1.0 last night, and yes, I was hooked. ;) Now it appears that I'll have to start again, but no worries - I was only up to day 2 or so.

If I may ask... I've waded through the HQ forums, and cannot find it anywhere, so I have to ask: how can I make any money? :| The only way I've seen so far to make money is to gamble on dice at the inn, and as you make 42 silver pieces or more, they stop playing with you.

Another question is simple: how do I stay warm and/or fed? I'm playing a sorceress on my first play-through, and bought a scarf from the wizard (which he says will keep me warm), but it doesn't seem to. I also killed a warg and a couple of brigands, but my heroine doesn't appear to be able to skin the warg for meat, nor do the brigands carry any money. :| Will they have some more when my sorceress grows more powerful? Or...? *confused*

That said, I'm enjoying the game very much so far... it reminds me of the first time I played QfG1, except it's that much tougher... but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it soon enough! *smile*
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Postby adeyke » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:02 am

There are some other sources of money. Brigands do sometimes have money (just not always). Unlike QfG, you never run into the problem where you have piles of extra money but no use for it.

The scarf helps against the cold, but it doesn't make you immune to it. There are several items that similarly help, but they're not all available to everyone. In order to skin wargs, for example, you need to have animal ken.
adeyke
Oldbie

Postby Rath Darkblade » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:46 am

Hmmm... having reinstalled HQ (this time as version 1.2), I've had to restart and this time playing a fighter. Battles are certainly easier, and I've made plenty of progress. ;)

Unfortunately, I've got up to the stage where the trolls are attacking the village (Munarvagir?), and now I'm stuck fighting a Jotunn. I have a variety of weapons to choose from - sword, daggers, war-hammer, battle-axe, Regin's golden sword (i.e. Gram), which I have broken and repaired - but regardless of what I choose, that gigantic thing freezes me in my tracks, slashes me in half with his huge axe, or stomps me to paste. :(

Any tips, perhaps, about what to do? Thanks... :)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Postby adeyke » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:07 am

For me, the key to combat was turning the game speed way down, so that I was able to see and dodge the attacks. A Jotunn has three physical attacks: a kick (dodge left), a swing (dodge right), and an enraged decapitating swing (duck). There are also some spells, but I don't recall the exact details there. The speed decrease let me win the game on the highest difficulty, though I still had a lot of trouble at certain times. And apparently I messed up on the highest-difficulty run at some point, since I didn't get the achievement.

Also, instead of taking part in the fight itself, you can potentially go to Fornsigtuna to get help. That might require doing a particular side quest first, though.
adeyke
Oldbie

Postby Rath Darkblade » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:04 pm

adeyke wrote:For me, the key to combat was turning the game speed way down, so that I was able to see and dodge the attacks. A Jotunn has three physical attacks: a kick (dodge left), a swing (dodge right), and an enraged decapitating swing (duck). There are also some spells, but I don't recall the exact details there. The speed decrease let me win the game on the highest difficulty, though I still had a lot of trouble at certain times. And apparently I messed up on the highest-difficulty run at some point, since I didn't get the achievement.

Also, instead of taking part in the fight itself, you can potentially go to Fornsigtuna to get help. That might require doing a particular side quest first, though.

Whoops - I should mention that I'm playing a fighter. ;)

Err...? How do I go to Fornsigtuna for help? :( I don't know about the side quest - and once the trolls/giants cut scene starts, I was never able to do anything but open the gate and join the fight. Any help, please? :) (I did finally manage to beat the jotunn - but it would be nice to have an alternative). :)

Anyway, once I finally beat the jotunn, two other problems have arisen...

1. I've been trying to get the sword that's stuck from the tree. I've done a lot of other things - I have healed Arngrim (i.e. the man in the tower), I got Liff and Latharsir (? the tavern keeper from Fornsigtuna) together, I killed Regin's brother and returned the chest to him, I got both of the eyes of Thiassi, I returned the wings to Volund's wife, etc. etc... Is there anything else I should do to get the sword? :(

I tried to take part in that contest in the cave of bones, but I can never beat all the enemies; and I heard rumours that I can meet Loki somewhere, but I haven't been able to figure out how. Help? :(

2. I finally got to fight Egther! Go me! :D However, because he froze all my healing potions, I didn't have any way to heal myself (other than the potion that Sigurd gives me, and the other potion near the transportation portal). So when I finally got to fight Egther, I beat him down to 0 HP once - but then he somehow got a huge-friggin'-ice-sword(TM) and beat me down. :( Any ideas what to do - or is there a way to save my healing potions from being frozen?

Thanks! :)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Postby adeyke » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:48 am

The item you got from Regin's quest lets you instantly travel to any town. If you already have it when the village is attacked, you can use it there.

1. As far as I know, getting Balmung is based on your honor stat, which isn't visible in the game. You need to really honorable to get the sword, in the same way that you need to be really honorable in order to become a Paladin in QfG. There are a lot of things that affect honor (more than I can just list here, and I don't know the complete list).

Loki is behind an ice wall in Svartalfheim. It's also accessible via the sliding puzzle.

2. No. Those are the only potions you get access to. That fight took me many, many, many attempts at highest difficulty, even with Balmung, all defensive gear, and 100 in almost all relevant stats. It's just really hard. You can either keep trying, give up, or just drop the difficulty and make the fight easier.
adeyke
Oldbie

Postby Rath Darkblade » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:07 am

adeyke wrote:The item you got from Regin's quest lets you instantly travel to any town. If you already have it when the village is attacked, you can use it there.

Thanks! That makes sense. I didn't have have that item on my first play-through, so I'll try again. ;) By the way, I know that svartalfars are illusionists and tricksters - so whose side should I pick, Regin's or Fafnir's? *bites lip* :|

adeyke wrote:Loki is behind an ice wall in Svartalfheim. It's also accessible via the sliding puzzle.

OK... I never understood how the sliding puzzle works. *blush* Can you please elucidate? Blatant spoilers welcome. ;)

adeyke wrote:2. No. Those are the only potions you get access to. That fight took me many, many, many attempts at highest difficulty, even with Balmung, all defensive gear, and 100 in almost all relevant stats. It's just really hard. You can either keep trying, give up, or just drop the difficulty and make the fight easier.

Sigh... I'm not sure why this particular fight should be so very tough. I'm at the stage of the game that I have 100 in almost relevant stats, and most fights are laughably easy - I can beat wargs/brigands with just one sword-swipe; I can kill svartalfars, trolls and even fire giants fairly easily (but frost giants are still tough)... and Egther still wipes the floor with me. What am I doing wrong, I wonder - or are there any special attacks of Egther's that I should watch out for?
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Postby adeyke » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:44 am

I don't think you actually can side with Fafnir (i.e. kill Regin). Also, given that Fafnir is a lindworm and in possession of the chest (which seems to indicate his guilt), it seems like you should side with Regin.

As for Egther, he's the final boss of the game, so it stands to reason that he'll also be the most challenging fight. I don't know of any particular tricks to fighting him, especially in the spell-casting phase. The exploding skull spell seems to be undodgeable, so I just kept spamming my special attacks. When he takes out his sword, his attacks do become dodgeable, but if you're already in the middle of an attack animation, it's too late to dodge. The fight seems to be a matter of trying to guess when it's safe to attack and when it isn't.
adeyke
Oldbie

Postby Rath Darkblade » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:31 am

Hmm... do you know of anywhere that illustrates how the sliding panel puzzle works, please? Pretty please, with sugar on top? *insert puppy dog eyes here* ;)

I've been trying to work that one out for ages, but it never made any sense to me. :( Blatant spoilers welcome... :)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Postby adeyke » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:04 am

Oh, I forgot to address that part.

The sliding puzzle directly affects the layout of a 4x4 block of screens in the NW corner of svartalfheim. Each tile represents one screen. If you around the outside edge of the puzzle, you'll see some connectors. To the east is Nidavellir, to the south is the standing stone portal, and to the north is the wall of ice. The different tiles represent passageways, while the lack of a tile represents the tough fight. You're not trying to "solve" the puzzle. You just want to create a path to get to either that tough fight or the ice wall.
adeyke
Oldbie

Postby Tawmis » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:53 am

I need to set aside some time to get to this. Have it all downloaded - but not launched it yet.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Return to Non-Sierra Games & Help