The MMO Leet Loots (was King's Quest by the Odd Gentlemen)

Talk about games or general tech issues that are not Sierra related.

The MMO Leet Loots (was King's Quest by the Odd Gentlemen)

Postby Tawmis » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:22 pm

DeadPoolX wrote:BTW, for many people MMOs are wonderful. The main draw is the social factor, which for many includes working in guilds together and playing alongside friends or family.

I would say the main draw for many people is the bragging. "Look at me leet loot sword and armor! Tier 60! Only 2 in the game! I will pwn you!" :lol:
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: King's Quest by the Odd Gentlemen (Trailer inside!)

Postby Rath Darkblade » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:34 am

Tawmis wrote:
DeadPoolX wrote:BTW, for many people MMOs are wonderful. The main draw is the social factor, which for many includes working in guilds together and playing alongside friends or family.

I would say the main draw for many people is the bragging. "Look at me leet loot sword and armor! Tier 60! Only 2 in the game! I will pwn you!" :lol:

...which is exactly why I don't play MMOs, TF2 in particular. *shrug*
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Postby adeyke » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:57 am

TF2 isn't at all close to being an MMO.

Also, I entirely disagree with the notion that the main appeal of MMOs for any significant number of people is bragging. It's also nothing unique to MMOs. Every game will have people who are better at it than others and will want to brag about that.
adeyke
Oldbie

Postby Tawmis » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:21 pm

adeyke wrote:Also, I entirely disagree with the notion that the main appeal of MMOs for any significant number of people is bragging. It's also nothing unique to MMOs. Every game will have people who are better at it than others and will want to brag about that.

When I played EverQuest - I recall it being a "thing" where people bragged. But that was insanely worse when I played World of Warcraft (all the way until Lich King). Couldn't go into Ogimarr (or whatever) without people linking their equipment and challenging people just outside the gates to duels. And it became even more painfully obvious during PVP events (forgot what those were called; where you logged into PVP) - people would cap on your crappy weapons and armor (because people like me did not go for the "leet loots", so I had pretty average stuff). Same thing I found in Neverwinter, though nowhere near as bad as World of Warcraft.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Postby Rath Darkblade » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:49 am

adeyke wrote:TF2 isn't at all close to being an MMO.

Also, I entirely disagree with the notion that the main appeal of MMOs for any significant number of people is bragging. It's also nothing unique to MMOs. Every game will have people who are better at it than others and will want to brag about that.

Tawmis wrote:When I played EverQuest - I recall it being a "thing" where people bragged. But that was insanely worse when I played World of Warcraft (all the way until Lich King). Couldn't go into Ogimarr (or whatever) without people linking their equipment and challenging people just outside the gates to duels. And it became even more painfully obvious during PVP events (forgot what those were called; where you logged into PVP) - people would cap on your crappy weapons and armor (because people like me did not go for the "leet loots", so I had pretty average stuff). Same thing I found in Neverwinter, though nowhere near as bad as World of Warcraft.

TF2 may not be an MMO, but WoW definitely is - and I (like Tawm) never got into it because of the same "I rulz u suck nyah nyah nyah" attitude of many players. I only started playing WoW when I got attacked by all sides - just about everyone launched broadsides in the vein of "Yo noob, I gonna pwn u" and similar.

TF2 was worse. I didn't mind getting backstabbed by some enemy assassin, or getting head-shot by an enemy sniper. These things happen. But when my own team started sniping at me over the headphones (I was playing an engie and building dispensers and sentry guns), I was a bit ratted. Engies are not supposed to be frontline fighters, they're supposed to play support - they're defensive, not offensive - and yet my own team was making cracks at me about not being aggressive enough, and going on and on about how I was a big cissy etc. (That's cleaning up their language a lot). So I said "You know what? Enjoy your game, guys" and logged off.

Man, was I steamed. :x These are probably the same kind of players who'd pick a Heavy - the guy with the oversized machine gun - and then run straight into level-3 sentry guns and get turned into hamburger meat. :P And serves them right, too!
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Postby Tawmis » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:06 pm

Rath Darkblade wrote:TF2 was worse. I didn't mind getting backstabbed by some enemy assassin, or getting head-shot by an enemy sniper. These things happen. But when my own team started sniping at me over the headphones (I was playing an engie and building dispensers and sentry guns), I was a bit ratted. Engies are not supposed to be frontline fighters, they're supposed to play support - they're defensive, not offensive - and yet my own team was making cracks at me about not being aggressive enough, and going on and on about how I was a big cissy etc. (That's cleaning up their language a lot). So I said "You know what? Enjoy your game, guys" and logged off. Man, was I steamed. :x These are probably the same kind of players who'd pick a Heavy - the guy with the oversized machine gun - and then run straight into level-3 sentry guns and get turned into hamburger meat. :P And serves them right, too!

That sucks that people were able to drive you off the game. :(

For me, it became the people - but also the monthly fee of playing (for World of Warcraft). This is why, when I left WoW, I played Lord of the Rings Online for quite some time (that's a pretty huge world!), and then played Neverwinter (long enough to get like 4 people up to level 60) - because both of those MMOs are Free to Play. I even returned to Star Wars: The Old Republic when it became free to play and played that again, for a considerable amount of time. I just began avoiding all PVP related events. (Star Wars: The Old Republic doesn't have - or I should say it's so minimal it's not even noticeable! - the "l33t l0ot" people bragging). I'd say, it seems like Star Wars: The Old Republic has the more "mature" side of MMO gamers that I have ever seen. (I had my problems with one or two people, but overall - pretty impressed with the folks who play SW:TOR). That said, I have not logged into Lord of the Rings Online, Neverwinter, or Star Wars: The Old Republic in probably MANY, MANY months.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Postby DeadPoolX » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:18 am

Rath Darkblade wrote:But when my own team started sniping at me over the headphones (I was playing an engie and building dispensers and sentry guns), I was a bit ratted.

There were always some people who felt they just had to tell others what to do, how to do it, and where to do it. Unfortunately, the two classes that get criticized the most are the Engineer and the Medic.

I know because Maia and I used to play those two classes a lot.

Rath Darkblade wrote:Engies are not supposed to be frontline fighters, they're supposed to play support - they're defensive, not offensive - and yet my own team was making cracks at me about not being aggressive enough, and going on and on about how I was a big cissy etc. (That's cleaning up their language a lot). So I said "You know what? Enjoy your game, guys" and logged off.

I can definitely believe it. What's also sad is if you did what they said, you'd have gotten ridiculed for not playing defensively enough.

In many ways, it's a lose-lose scenario UNLESS you're on a team with people who aren't assholes and understand team dynamics.

Sometimes that happens and when it does, the game can be amazingly fun. When it doesn't work out like that, however, it can turn you off from the whole game entirely.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Return to Non-Sierra Games & Help