Looking for a new game to play - what's your opinion?

Talk about games or general tech issues that are not Sierra related.

Looking for a new game to play - what's your opinion?

Postby Rath Darkblade » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:41 am

I'm currently tossing up between The Complete NWN2 and Telltale's The Wolf Among Us.

I've played both NWN and NWN2 before, and although I played NWN extensively and liked it, I only played NWN2 a little. This was because NWN2 was so buggy and took so long between scenes, that I was wondering whether it had crashed or frozen. :( It was a good D&D game otherwise - I liked the story, the characters, the gameplay and the character creation - but the bugs and the delays were just too much.

I haven't played TWAU before, but I know Telltale's reputation - I've played a few of their games, which have been excellent (e.g. "Tales of Monkey Island"). So what's your opinion? Which game should I go for next? ;)

Thanks! :)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: Looking for a new game to play - what's your opinion?

Postby Tawmis » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:00 am

I have NWN2 - though I never finished playing it (and got Mask of the Betrayer) - all a part of a contract of doing some machinima work for Atari/Obsidian Entertainment.

On the topic of NWN - cough, cough - https://www.youtube.com/user/NeverendingNights :lol:
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Postby Rath Darkblade » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:23 am

Tawmis wrote:I have NWN2 - though I never finished playing it (and got Mask of the Betrayer) - all a part of a contract of doing some machinima work for Atari/Obsidian Entertainment.

On the topic of NWN - cough, cough - https://www.youtube.com/user/NeverendingNights :lol:

The heroes that were never that heroic. :lol:

What was NWN2 as a game? Can it compare to NWN at all? Oh, and I've noticed you haven't addressed TWAU - is it really that bad? :(
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Postby DeadPoolX » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:44 am

I've only played the first chapter of TWAU (Maia's completed the entire game), but from what I've seen so far, the game is quite good.

That said, I'd recommend waiting for the price to get lower (check Steam for a daily sale, weekly sale, or during its seasonal sales) before picking it up.

Why? Well...

1. While it doesn't require prior knowledge of the Fables graphic novel series, the game's content is greatly enhanced by it. It's really a game that was made primarily for fans of the series first and foremost.

That doesn't mean you can't play and enjoy it without ever having read the graphic novels, but the content won't mean quite as much, especially since the game is considered a canonical prequel to the graphic novels themselves.

2. All combat is done through quicktime events. That's not QuickTime (as in the old Apple *.mov format), but literally "do such and such action quickly within a certain amount of time."

A lot of games use QTEs nowadays, even games that're normally more action-based. Most gamers dislike QTEs because they take control away from the player and reduce the action to "push a button to do cool event or move."

QTEs aren't a terrible way to handle combat or action if the intended audience probably isn't very good at it. From my experience, relatively few hardcore adventure gamers are good at action sequences, so that might explain TellTale's reason for using QTEs.

3. Your overall interactivity is limited. In a sense, it's very reminiscent of FMV games, in that your ability to interact with people and the environment is limited to those whom you need to interact with. That probably won't upset many hardcore adventure gamers, but if you're used to RPGs or other genres, it feels quite constraining.

4. You have a limited amount of time (represented as a red bar) to choose a response to someone. Not saying anything is also considered a valid way to respond.

An easy way around it is when you need to select a response, press the spacebar. That'll pause the game but keep your choices on the screen, so you can look them over and make a decision without feeling pressured.

5. You CAN'T save when and where you want. The game basically used checkpoints and auto-saves, so you can't manually save at all. You can't even do a quicksave.

However, the game has a rewind feature. After completing a chapter on a save file, you can cut to any chapter in that episode. By selecting your completed game, you can start a new game from any of these designated points. To not overwrite your original play-through, you simply can save those into separate slots.

It sounds a lot more complex than it is, but it's really quite simple to use.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Postby Tawmis » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:50 am

Rath Darkblade wrote:
Tawmis wrote:I have NWN2 - though I never finished playing it (and got Mask of the Betrayer) - all a part of a contract of doing some machinima work for Atari/Obsidian Entertainment.

The heroes that were never that heroic. :lol:
What was NWN2 as a game? Can it compare to NWN at all? Oh, and I've noticed you haven't addressed TWAU - is it really that bad? :(

NWN2 was all right, actually. I played it on a much older system; I bet it'd run fine on my system now. But like you had lag points and such. But the game itself (beyond that) was fine; I just never got around to finishing it.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Return to Non-Sierra Games & Help