Mass Effect 4 in the works.

Talk about games or general tech issues that are not Sierra related.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Mass Effect 4 in the works.

Post by Tawmis » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:57 pm

Click the link but beware of potential spoilers (and speculation) -
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/20/ ... ugh-survey

notbobsmith
Sierra Veteran

Re: Mass Effect 4 in the works.

Post by notbobsmith » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:30 pm

I skimmed through it to get the gist without getting to many spoilers, but much of it seemed pretty broad and much of it is speculation. I was wondering how they would get around the end result of some of the big decisions you make (i.e. the fate of some species), I guess what they discussed would be a solution. I am curious to see what comes of it. I think I played the first Mass Effect more times all the way through than any other modern game. It's probably my favorite game franchise... until the last 15 minutes of ME3.

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:49 am

notbobsmith wrote:I skimmed through it to get the gist without getting to many spoilers, but much of it seemed pretty broad and much of it is speculation. I was wondering how they would get around the end result of some of the big decisions you make (i.e. the fate of some species), I guess what they discussed would be a solution. I am curious to see what comes of it. I think I played the first Mass Effect more times all the way through than any other modern game. It's probably my favorite game franchise... until the last 15 minutes of ME3.
I absolutely love the Mass Effect series. I loved Mass Effect 3. However, some of the NPCs that join your team seemed so much more extreme than previous ones - making it a little harder to actually "feel" for them. I am one of the few who didn't mind the end of Mass Effect 3 (and the choices you make). But I understand why the majority of people were upset. (Sort of like how I was upset with the end of Dragon Age II - and that no matter your choice, it doesn't impact the game - same result, no matter what sides you picked! But there were some who didn't mind that! Or what Anders does!) So definitely a game, with so many diverse possibilities, choices and characters - you're going to have people all over the place as to what they liked or didn't like!

But all that said - I am indeed looking forward to Mass Effect 4, if it is indeed coming down the pipe.

notbobsmith
Sierra Veteran

Post by notbobsmith » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:30 pm

I'm more or less okay with the ending now, but at the time I don't think I've ever felt that strongly about a game's ending before. But then I don't think I've ever been that involved in a game franchise before. And ME3 was awesome up until that point, which just made it that much more jarring for me.

I always thought the squadmates in ME2 were much more extreme than ME3. Some of them were borderline nuts. Even Garrus. He thought he was Batman. I felt sorry for Tali. ME3 was certainly very dark and the characters reflected that a bit, but reasonably so. And walking in as the characters are having conversations with each other was a really nice touch that was absent from the first two games.

I haven't played the Drgon Age franchise at all.

Here's hoping for ME4.

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:38 pm

notbobsmith wrote: I always thought the squadmates in ME2 were much more extreme than ME3. Some of them were borderline nuts. Even Garrus. He thought he was Batman. I felt sorry for Tali.
True, ME2 had some crazy squad members also. I think ME3 stuck out because there WERE so MANY squad mates you could recruit - and all of them seemed a little more over the top than usual. (In Bioware, your companions always have issues - but in ME3, it seemed like they had issues upon issues - that pushed them to boderline nuts, making it difficult to really fell too much sympathy for them!)
notbobsmith wrote: ME3 was certainly very dark and the characters reflected that a bit, but reasonably so. And walking in as the characters are having conversations with each other was a really nice touch that was absent from the first two games.
Yes, that was very cool.
notbobsmith wrote: I haven't played the Drgon Age franchise at all.
Here's hoping for ME4.
If you enjoyed Mass Effect and like RPGs - then Dragon Age is something you might be interested in. Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age III anyway. Dragon Age II ... I don't have high remarks for - except some of the companions from DA2 carry over into DA3.