Dragon Age: Speculations.

Talk about games or general tech issues that are not Sierra related.

Dragon Age: Speculations.

Postby Rath Darkblade » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:30 am

So what do you think DA4 should be about? ;) I just started playing DAO for the who-knows-how-many-timeth time (:P), and I couldn't help thinking how good the animations looked, even so many years later. The video at the beginning is particularly evocative - and it gave me an idea. *uh-oh!* ;)

See, DAO is all about the Third Blight IIRC, so I thought - since each game brings forward a new "hero", and since most Dragon Age players agree that the first game is the best story-wise, why not have the First Blight as the story for DA4? I think it would be very interesting - let's see where it all started! Where did the Grey Wardens come from in the first place? How did they combat the First Blight? It would have been a huge culture shock for Ferelden, and especially for the Dwarves. And then, as DLCs or expansions or whatever, perhaps the Dwarves could try to recapture their lost kingdoms. Or... who knows? It sounds like it could be fun! :D

What do you think? :)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: Dragon Age: Speculations.

Postby Tawmis » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:49 pm

I like the idea of going back and seeing how it all started. I could see the animation opening with the Blight running through the towns, killing people left and right - and then the formation of the Grey Wardens, working with some Blood Mages, to create the ceremony that begins the Grey Wardens...
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Postby Rath Darkblade » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:10 pm

Does the Grey Warden ceremony have to do with Blood Magic? :| I'm not too sure about that. I know that Avernus (at his tower) had done a lot more research into Blood Magic, and the ceremony has the same "look and smell" etc., but that's not the same as proof. :|

Any other ideas? Ferelden, at the time of the First Blight, had yet to see the Exalted March (i.e. crusade) against the Elven Kingdoms - so it's possible that we would see a lot more about the Elven tribes. That would be nice. :)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Postby Tawmis » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:11 am

Rath Darkblade wrote:Does the Grey Warden ceremony have to do with Blood Magic? :| I'm not too sure about that. I know that Avernus (at his tower) had done a lot more research into Blood Magic, and the ceremony has the same "look and smell" etc., but that's not the same as proof. :|

Sorry, wasn't clear - there's been no proof as to how the Grey Warden ceremony came about - I just thought, considering how much Blood Mages are hated - that it would be sweet irony, that they're the main reason that the whole Grey Warden ceremony (since it has to do with drinking the blood of the Blight) - are the very reason that humanity is repeatedly saved, because of the Blood Mages helping the Grey Wardens master their "blood ceremony" (or whatever it's called).
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Postby Rath Darkblade » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:16 pm

Ah, I see now. That certainly would be sweetly ironical. ;)

Maybe it's even true! *nod* Considering the fact that Grey Wardens, from time to time, cooperate with so-called "apostates" (e.g. Morrigan), it's not too out-of-the-question for Blood Mages to be involved too. :)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Postby Tawmis » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:08 am

Rath Darkblade wrote:Ah, I see now. That certainly would be sweetly ironical. ;)
Maybe it's even true! *nod* Considering the fact that Grey Wardens, from time to time, cooperate with so-called "apostates" (e.g. Morrigan), it's not too out-of-the-question for Blood Mages to be involved too. :)

I, personally, would love to see that Blood Mages helped with the Grey Warden ceremony thing... Because, it raises a moral problem (which Bioware is so good at doing!) - do the people continue to hate Blood Mages, despite they are the main reasons the Grey Wardens mastered the ability that makes them Grey Wardens? Or do people begin to hate the Grey Wardens for their close relationship (in the past, and the current ritual) with Blood Mages? Your actions, as a Grey Warden, or even a Blood Mage, help decide the people's outcome!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Postby Rath Darkblade » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:15 am

Yea! :D Maybe they'll even bring Jowan back to do the thing he does so well. (Or maybe not, given that he was either executed or given over to the Circle in DA:O). But then, there is no shortage of Blood Mages.

As for other things... I would love to see the next DA as a Blight-run, like DA:O. I still think that DA:O was the best of the three DAs we've seen so far, possibly because it's a little easier than DA:I - particularly when it comes to slaying demons and dragons of all sizes. (It's by no means easy, mind you - but killing dragons in DA:I has been impossible for me, because they never land. Bastards). :x

I also wasn't all that keen on the story-device that the player is The Chosen And The Only One That Can Save The World(TM). :P In DA:O, you knew that even if you died, Alistair was still a Grey Warden and could still help to re-build the order. It gave you the confidence to try out things. In DA:I, if you die, it's game over. (I won't dignify DA2 by mentioning its many faults).

There's only one thing I don't like about DA:O, and no, it's not how utterly long the Deep Roads are. ;) I just thought... Flemeth doesn't look very scary or even powerful in DA:O. She looks far more powerful (and impressive!) in later games. I know this is probably because it was the first game and they didn't know how popular Flemeth would become, but... eh. :|

What's your view, eh? :)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Postby Tawmis » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:40 am

Rath Darkblade wrote:Yea! :D Maybe they'll even bring Jowan back to do the thing he does so well. (Or maybe not, given that he was either executed or given over to the Circle in DA:O). But then, there is no shortage of Blood Mages.

It could attempt to see what Jowan's fate was from your save game; if saved, use him; if not, use another Blood Mage.

Rath Darkblade wrote:As for other things... I would love to see the next DA as a Blight-run, like DA:O. I still think that DA:O was the best of the three DAs we've seen so far, possibly because it's a little easier than DA:I - particularly when it comes to slaying demons and dragons of all sizes. (It's by no means easy, mind you - but killing dragons in DA:I has been impossible for me, because they never land. Bastards). :x

If they're not landing you're not doing something right. Because they do take flight, do a few blasts, but then always land again. Sometimes they land on cliffs, and you may need to switch with someone who has a distance weapon to damage them enough to make them land again.

Rath Darkblade wrote:I also wasn't all that keen on the story-device that the player is The Chosen And The Only One That Can Save The World(TM). :P In DA:O, you knew that even if you died, Alistair was still a Grey Warden and could still help to re-build the order. It gave you the confidence to try out things. In DA:I, if you die, it's game over. (I won't dignify DA2 by mentioning its many faults).

I always enjoy being the Chosen One type stories; because otherwise it feels like anyone could be the character who saves the world; why even try? :)

Rath Darkblade wrote:There's only one thing I don't like about DA:O, and no, it's not how utterly long the Deep Roads are. ;) I just thought... Flemeth doesn't look very scary or even powerful in DA:O. She looks far more powerful (and impressive!) in later games. I know this is probably because it was the first game and they didn't know how popular Flemeth would become, but... eh. :|
What's your view, eh? :)

Yes, the Deep Roads is by far the WORSE thing about DA:O and truly the ONLY bad thing about the game.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Postby Rath Darkblade » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:08 am

Another speculation about DAO - and this time, it's about the dwarves. ;) You know, it always struck me about how utterly different dwarven society was in the DA universe, but I could never put my finger on exactly why.

Now I think that I know why. Dwarven society in DA:O is a reflection of pre-revolution Russia (i.e. Russia under the Tsars)! :D

Think about it: the different castes (warrior caste, shaperate, merchant caste, the diamond quarter, the casteless) are similar to the state of people in Russia - i.e. the soldiers (who were honoured in Russia), the priests (ditto), the bourgeoisie, the Tsars (and Dukes, etc. who lived basically like Feudal kings), and the peasants and serfs (who were little better than slaves).

There is the similarity between the Carta (which, under Jarvia, starts raiding the merchant district and is definitely a threat to both Behlen and Harrowmont) and the Bolshevik/Menshevik Revolution of 1917.

Finally, there is the fact that one of the dwarven casteless is named Nadezda, the beggar who greets you when you enter Dust Town and gives you info about Jarvia. Her name is similar to, and reminiscent of, Nadezhda Krupskaya - who was a Russian Bolshevik revolutionary, a politician (she served as the Soviet Union's Deputy Minister of Education from 1929 until her death in 1939), and the wife of Vladimir Lenin. Granted, Nadezda the dwarf simply gives information and stays out of your way, but the similarity in the names is certainly suggestive! ;)

Comments? ;)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Return to Non-Sierra Games & Help