Heroine's Quest questions... please help! :-(

Talk about games or general tech issues that are not Sierra related.
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Re: Heroine's Quest questions... please help! :-(

Post by DeadPoolX » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:40 pm

I can't imagine that's the issue, as no game on Steam has ever made its completion dependent on gaining achievements.

I assume you've already attempted to verify the game cache from within Steam, right?

If verifying the game cache didn't solve anything (and it often does), then the only way to be sure is to launch the game with Steam online and see if it helps.

You could also try uploading your most recent saved game and letting others try it to see if there's something wrong with your installation or even some problem unique to your machine.

Given that Heroine's Quest is free, it wouldn't be difficult for anyone else to test this either.

BTW, are you running the game offline but through Steam or using the game's separate EXE and bypassing Steam entirely?
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:38 am

Hmm... to be honest, I had no idea that verifying the game cache from within Steam had anything to do with it. When I tried, Steam told me that all the files were correct and fine - so I figured, let's try it again. This time, the ending sequence works just fine. Thanks! :D

How often do I have to verify the game cache for any of the games? Just wondering... ;)

adeyke
Oldbie

Post by adeyke » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:01 am

Verifying the cache is only necessary if some files were lost or corrupted. If the checksums of your files don't match the ones on Steam's servers, it'll download those files again. If you verify the cache but it doesn't find a problem, that means that it didn't do anything. It's not something you need to do as routine maintenance; it's only helpful if there's a problem with your installation.

But if you did verify your cache, that means you had to be online. And that's the workaround that was already suggested.

DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Post by DeadPoolX » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:50 pm

Something else to consider is that maybe Heroine's Quest had an update through Steam, and if Rath was playing offline, the update wouldn't have downloaded and installed. Maybe the update fixed whatever the problem was.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)

Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:58 pm

I think that Rath has complained about having to be connected to the internet just play a game because of his connection. There are other places to download the game, given that it is free. There is also the Crystal Shard Games forum and they would probably be best at helping with the game. http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewboard.php?BoardID=17
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

adeyke
Oldbie

Post by adeyke » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:14 pm

DeadPoolX wrote:Something else to consider is that maybe Heroine's Quest had an update through Steam, and if Rath was playing offline, the update wouldn't have downloaded and installed. Maybe the update fixed whatever the problem was.
No. He has 1.2.1, and that's the newest version.