Stair Quest.

Talk about games or general tech issues that are not Sierra related.
Post Reply
User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 10673
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Stair Quest.

Post by Tawmis » Thu May 26, 2016 6:15 pm

Finally! A game that centers around your favorite aspect of the Sierra games!
stair-quest-v2_smaller-699tfm3v.png
http://gamejolt.com/games/stair-quest/147399#close
gemcavern-gmsy87uj.png

User avatar
BBP
Village Elder
Posts: 4076
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:07 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: Stair Quest.

Post by BBP » Fri May 27, 2016 7:07 am

:lol:
Oh boy oh boy...
Fresh game scripts: KQ4, LSL2 and LSL3! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts

User avatar
adeyke
Oldbie
Posts: 794
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:47 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Stair Quest.

Post by adeyke » Fri May 27, 2016 4:44 pm

I tried this. The manual and responses are amusing. The backgrounds are nice (though not always actually EGA) However, the gameplay is what it says on the tin. I pushed through to the orb but then gave up.

User avatar
BBP
Village Elder
Posts: 4076
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:07 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: Stair Quest.

Post by BBP » Fri May 27, 2016 6:33 pm

Just made it to level 8... thinking of making a video playthrough now!
Fresh game scripts: KQ4, LSL2 and LSL3! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts

User avatar
BBP
Village Elder
Posts: 4076
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:07 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: Stair Quest.

Post by BBP » Sat May 28, 2016 5:53 am

BBP wrote:Just made it to level 8... thinking of making a video playthrough now!
Too late for that now, I just finished it! :D
Fresh game scripts: KQ4, LSL2 and LSL3! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One
Posts: 4203
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:15 am
Location: Lost in Translation
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Stair Quest.

Post by Rath Darkblade » Sat May 28, 2016 9:03 am

What in the world.....? Why would anyone make such a game? I'm confused. :?

I remember the difficulty with negotiating stairs in the original Sierra games (e.g. trying to get Sonny Bonds to go up 3 or 4 flights of stairs near the end of PQ1). Why would anyone want to relive that? :roll:

Like I said, I don't get it. :?

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 10673
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: Stair Quest.

Post by Tawmis » Sat May 28, 2016 10:46 am

Rath Darkblade wrote:What in the world.....? Why would anyone make such a game? I'm confused. :?

I remember the difficulty with negotiating stairs in the original Sierra games (e.g. trying to get Sonny Bonds to go up 3 or 4 flights of stairs near the end of PQ1). Why would anyone want to relive that? :roll:

Like I said, I don't get it. :?
It's making fun of the frustration that we all experienced with stairs in Sierra games. That's the whole point of it.

It's made by fellow Sierra fans. (I don't think they're on this forum, but they're on the SpaceQuest.net forum).

User avatar
adeyke
Oldbie
Posts: 794
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:47 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Stair Quest.

Post by adeyke » Sat May 28, 2016 10:54 am

I don't know if there's some big payoff eventually (like I said, I gave up playing it), but I was disappointed by what I saw. It seems to make the same mistake as a lot of attempted satire: in trying to make fun of a thing, it ends up just being the thing.

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 10673
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: Stair Quest.

Post by Tawmis » Sat May 28, 2016 10:58 am

adeyke wrote:I don't know if there's some big payoff eventually (like I said, I gave up playing it), but I was disappointed by what I saw. It seems to make the same mistake as a lot of attempted satire: in trying to make fun of a thing, it ends up just being the thing.
I think it's not so much just satire, as indeed just being "the thing" - because, in all honesty, it's VERY difficult to satire the stairs in Sierra games. Because there was actually very little joy in it.

So I don't think of it as your traditional "satire" and more of "We made a game about the worse thing in Sierra games!" And go in, knowing, that's ALL it is.

User avatar
BBP
Village Elder
Posts: 4076
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:07 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: Stair Quest.

Post by BBP » Sat May 28, 2016 1:28 pm

I could make that voiced playthrough when playing as the hero this time, if you want to wind it up...
Fresh game scripts: KQ4, LSL2 and LSL3! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts

User avatar
Datadog
Great Incinerations
Posts: 1488
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:41 am
Location: Vancouver
Gender: Martian
Location: Vancouver, BC
Contact:

Re: Stair Quest.

Post by Datadog » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:36 pm

Tawmis wrote:It's made by fellow Sierra fans. (I don't think they're on this forum, but they're on the SpaceQuest.net forum).
There's at least one on here. :)

And yes, we all apologize for this game. We don't regret it, but we apologize. :)
Box of Mystery, Adventure Games, Cartoons, Books and more!

User avatar
Collector
Grand Poobah
Posts: 11083
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:57 am
Location: Sierraland
Contact:

Re: Stair Quest.

Post by Collector » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:40 pm

Datadog wrote:
Tawmis wrote:It's made by fellow Sierra fans. (I don't think they're on this forum, but they're on the SpaceQuest.net forum).
There's at least one on here. :)

And yes, we all apologize for this game. We don't regret it, but we apologize. :)
There are times I wish that phpBB had a "Like" feature.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Image

pcj
Noob
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:15 pm
Gender: Male

Re: Stair Quest.

Post by pcj » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:45 pm

I'm sure there's a mod for that.

User avatar
Collector
Grand Poobah
Posts: 11083
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:57 am
Location: Sierraland
Contact:

Re: Stair Quest.

Post by Collector » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:24 pm

There are, but I like to avoid mods as they can present problems when upgrading to new versions of phpBB. After one such upgrade it gave newly registered members access to the administrator control panel. Uninstalling the mod fixed it.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Image

Post Reply