GK1 Remake Trailer released!

Voodoo got the best of you? Need a hint? Want to talk about Gabriel Knight? This is the place to do it!

GK1 Remake Trailer released!

Postby Rath Darkblade » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:13 pm

Here it is. I think it looks great! Can't wait for release on October 15th. ;)

I don't mind so much that Jane used new voice actors. The new GK voice is less hammed up (sorry to people who loved TIm Curry, but Tim isn't Cajun after all - so he hammed it up a little). Also, the original voice actors are now 20 years older and wouldn't sound the same. Besides, many of them are big stars - Tim Curry, Mark Hamill - trying to get them now would cost a bomb. :P

I know that some people wouldn't agree with me on this, but I just loved the narrator. Narrator FTW! ;)

(What kind of accent does the narrator have? Is it Jamaican, or...?) *curious*
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Re: GK1 Remake Trailer released!

Postby BBP » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:23 am

I don't think Tim will do much voice work again, ever, sorry. Especially not anything with a script you could bench press.
Not sure about the new voices: Tetelo, Grace, Mosely all seem a step back from the original. Hopefully that GK will come in the package as well. But it looks ace and the music sounds wonderful!
Fresh game scripts: KQ4, LSL2 and LSL3! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
BBP
Village Elder

Postby Tawmis » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:05 pm

In terms of voice acting, when you have Tim doing Gabe, and Mark Hammill doing Mosely, the voices will no doubt seem like a step back if you compare it to the original.

That said, Dean Erickson made GK awesome also in GK2. It took some adjusting, but Dean REALLY made the character seem very alive. So I am more than willing to give the remake a try, new voices and all.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Postby BBP » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:06 pm

I was about to post about being sad that Tim won't work anymore, and voila, look at what Variety posts.
Anyway, never was a big fan of Dean Erickson's interpretation of the character. His diction is much less clear (that combines poorly to non-native English players with no subtitles). You can draw an interesting comparison between the two in that TCGK is a good actor: he can pull off the wine critic interview with Montreaux in GK3 and has Father O'Riley among others in GK1. Erickson opts to make his GK look bumbling while he's trying to bluff his way into the hunt club. Thing is, he doesn't have to do that: we already know that Gabriel is lying through his teeth. However it makes it less credible that the members of the hunt club are all falling for it.
Fresh game scripts: KQ4, LSL2 and LSL3! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
BBP
Village Elder

Postby Tawmis » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:58 pm

BBP wrote:Anyway, never was a big fan of Dean Erickson's interpretation of the character. His diction is much less clear (that combines poorly to non-native English players with no subtitles). You can draw an interesting comparison between the two in that TCGK is a good actor: he can pull off the wine critic interview with Montreaux in GK3 and has Father O'Riley among others in GK1. Erickson opts to make his GK look bumbling while he's trying to bluff his way into the hunt club. Thing is, he doesn't have to do that: we already know that Gabriel is lying through his teeth. However it makes it less credible that the members of the hunt club are all falling for it.

Well, for the being "less clear" - I think Dean's voice is MUCH closer to the mark of how someone from New Orleans sounds (they can be difficult to understand! It's like a sloppy French-Southern-American accent mixture!) Tim's is more of a "clean" "New Orleans" accent. (Which was NOT bad, don't think I am saying that at all!) But I think they both pulled off what they were trying to do - just did it differently. And for Dean being "bumbling" - do you think that perhaps that was more of a direction he was told to be given, because it was a live action, there needs to be more animation, I think, and movement. So it gets exaggerated, rather than just being stagnate.
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Postby Spikey » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:12 am

The fmv in combination with the voices kind of turned me off of GK2, but I'm likely to replay all three games after the remake is released. Tim is so iconic, but also Charity James did one hell of a job as Grace in Blood of the Sacred. The endless sarcastic remarks of both characters never bore me one bit in that pesky old last part, mainly because of the voice work; I always wonder though how native english speaking peops experience it.
Spikey
Sierra Obsessed

Return to The Gabriel Knight Series