Visiting Rennes-le-Chateau (again :))

Voodoo got the best of you? Need a hint? Want to talk about Gabriel Knight? This is the place to do it!

Visiting Rennes-le-Chateau (again :))

Postby Spikey » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:53 am

Well, well. Looks like I am visiting the haute vallée de l'Aude again early june, mostly to hike. Was thinking of popping by Rennes-le-Chateau again and wondering if there was anything in particular anyone of you people wanted me to check out / is curious about?? Like at the church, Villa Bethania or tour magdala or anything? The church was in really bad condition on my last visit :? .

Was thinking of making a short guide to all the cool locations in the area.
What I've seen so far the last three times I was in the area;

- Chateau Blanchefort ruins. Very, very tough climb, and you have to do dangerous stuff to actually reach the chateau, like climbing trees (the chateau itself actually it was only just a little watch tower). I did it two times, but think I will NOT be doing that again. Thanks, game, for making that one look so easy.
- The top of Mont Cardou. This is not such a tough climb as to Blanchefort, though much higher. Somebody built a weird kind of ritual circle there.
- Black rock (is actually way up high and you can't really reach it)
- Chateau Serres. Private property, not as beautiful to look at as in the game
- Couiza station, actually called Couiza-Montazels. You can't enter the building anymore.
- Rennes-les-Bains
- Devil's armchair
- former location of Poussin's tomb (at les Pontils, you can't reach the location, nor come close to it)

Borderline related fun locations I've visited;
- Coustaussa; ruins and Magdalen church (closed when I visited) that was the stage of a brutal murder Abbé Antoine Gélis. Sydney Map Point.
- St-Just-et-le-Bezu; Magadalen church, you can peek inside, one of the Sydney map points.
- Le Bezu; (tiny ancient church that is closed to public). Another Sydney map point.
- Ruins of Albezu near St-Just-et-le-Bezu, marked as "chateau du templiers" on de hiking maps; easy to reach and provides spectacular views
- Church in the village of Bugarach, one of the Sydney map points.
- The top of the mountain Bugarach. Beautiful walk / climb here.
- Trying to walk from Rennes-le-Chateau down towards Coustaussa through the woods below is not recommended; the maps are outdated on this area, plus there is a lot of "orange clay". Horrible orange clay. It sticks to your boots / shoes like no tomorrow, bogging you down all the way.
- church in the town of Limoux, which has a stained glass window where Jesus and Mary Magdalen are outright depicted as a couple.
- church in the town of Espéraza, a town weirdly absent in the game. It has an odd dead Jesus lying with his eyes open in a grotto. This church is actually in the center of the crown of Magdala, locations were moved around a bit for the game.

Locations that I know are kind of fictional, and probably derrived from exclusively from a map of the area;
- l'Homme Mort. There are a few places on the hiking maps that are designated as such, but there is nothing there (probably because it means 'dead land' or something); the closest one to Rennes-les-Bains is quite high up in the mountains near Rennes-les-Bains, and looks like an impassable field of thorny thickets, and there appears to be a small ruined building at the edge.
- Coume Sourdes. No finding location was ever revealed, as it was all a scam anyway.
- l'Ermitage. There is actually location called something like this near on the map where GK3 places it, but it is just a ruined little house by the side of the river.
- The hotel / bikerental. There is a large hotel in a beautiful chateau in Couiza, though that one is not as high up on a mountain as Rennes-le-Chateau. Curiously the bookshop is there.
- Rennes-le-chateau plaza; not as big as in the game. There is shabby café around the now disfunctional fountain that serves salads,. cheese and wine.
Spikey
Sierra Obsessed

Re: Visiting Rennes-le-Chateau (again :))

Postby AndreaDraco » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:23 pm

Spikey wrote: There is shabby café around the now disfunctional fountain that serves salads,. cheese and wine.

And a quite tasty salmon with sauce au poivre vert, if we're talking about the same place! ;)
Talk to coffee? Even Gabriel isn't that addicted!
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Postby Spikey » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:52 pm

Lol, only thing I remember is a "Templar Salad", I think it was something very akin to a salad caprese.
Spikey
Sierra Obsessed

Postby AndreaDraco » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:21 pm

But what restaurant are we talking about? I ate in the large one with the garden, near the church.
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Postby Spikey » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:24 pm

It is the one across the front door of Villa Bethania, it is hard to miss, as it has that round fountain. I remember it as garden only, with a shed where the food was prepared.
Spikey
Sierra Obsessed

Postby AndreaDraco » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:28 am

Yes, it's the same one, even if I don't remember the fountain! @_@

Do you have photos of your other climbs to the Chateau Blanchefort ruins?
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Postby Spikey » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:52 am

It is in miserable state, they may have covered it in a rag.

I will dig around for Blanchefort photoes.
Spikey
Sierra Obsessed

Postby Spikey » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:59 am

Bwegh, I actually had to wade to a lot of pictures of me and my ex boyfriend. Oh well. The pictures are still nice.

RUINS

That is the mountain Bugarach in the distance.

HUMAN REFERENCE TO JUDGE SIZE

The view towards Couiza

Mont Cardou

VIEWS FROM RUINS

The view towards Serres / Arques

The view towards Serres. Is that orange rock or what.

Beautiful Mont Cardou

View towards Coustaussa

Shameless Blanchefort/Cardou-selfie.

Scramble to the ruins.

Actually, the tough walk is over if you get to this part, but this is where that short dangerous climb starts. The "white rock" that has the ruins on top of it;

The small tree you have to climb;

View from the top
Image[/spoiler]
Spikey
Sierra Obsessed

Postby BBP » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:09 am

Breathtaking views!
Fresh game scripts: KQ4, LSL2 and LSL3! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts
BBP
Village Elder

Postby AndreaDraco » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:43 pm

These are gorgeous pictures! I'm really glad that you posted them!
AndreaDraco
Village Elder

Postby el_pombo » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:19 pm

Hi!

I'd really like to go see this in real life, I think I'm just going to drive to the place. Does anyone know of a good place to stay? I think there are no hotels in Rennes-Le-Chateau, maybe carcassonne?

All the best!
el_pombo
Sierra Lover

Return to The Gabriel Knight Series