[Resolved] -Unable to continue GK The Beast Within chap 6

Voodoo got the best of you? Need a hint? Want to talk about Gabriel Knight? This is the place to do it!

[Resolved] -Unable to continue GK The Beast Within chap 6

Postby Awesomeg » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:45 pm

There is a glitch in Chapter 6 when I try to enter the Schloss Ritter castle and now I can't continue the game. :(
I try to enter the castle to get the sheets to capture the bird in the dungeon but each time I click on the castle door at Schloss Ritter it says "Error opening resource 65535.snd Press Enter to retry Esc to quit" but I can't enter even after typing Enter many times. Any solutions?






______________________________________________________________
This has been resolved now! Please see this post!
- Tawmis
Awesomeg
Al who?
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:23 pm
Gender: Male

Re: Unable to continue GK The Beast Within chapter 6

Postby Tawmis » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:49 am

Are you playing the Windows or DOS version of GK2?
User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
 
Posts: 9605
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified

Re: Unable to continue GK The Beast Within chapter 6

Postby Awesomeg » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:26 am

Tawmis wrote:Are you playing the Windows or DOS version of GK2?

I bought the game from Steam. It automatically uses DOSBox once I start the game. Guess it must be the Dos version
Awesomeg
Al who?
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:23 pm
Gender: Male

Re: Unable to continue GK The Beast Within chapter 6

Postby Tawmis » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:41 pm

Awesomeg wrote:
Tawmis wrote:Are you playing the Windows or DOS version of GK2?

I bought the game from Steam. It automatically uses DOSBox once I start the game. Guess it must be the Dos version


So - try this - upload the last save game - and I can load GK2 on DOS and see if I can replicate or pass it. (You may need to zip the savegame).
User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
 
Posts: 9605
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified

Re: Unable to continue GK The Beast Within chapter 6

Postby Awesomeg » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:58 pm

Tawmis wrote:
Awesomeg wrote:
Tawmis wrote:Are you playing the Windows or DOS version of GK2?

I bought the game from Steam. It automatically uses DOSBox once I start the game. Guess it must be the Dos version


So - try this - upload the last save game - and I can load GK2 on DOS and see if I can replicate or pass it. (You may need to zip the savegame).

Here it is. It should be the one where Grace is standing outside of the castle.
Attachments
GK2SG.004
Savegame
(433.86 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Awesomeg
Al who?
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:23 pm
Gender: Male

Re: Unable to continue GK The Beast Within chapter 6

Postby Tawmis » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:39 am

Awesomeg wrote:
Tawmis wrote:
Awesomeg wrote:
Tawmis wrote:Are you playing the Windows or DOS version of GK2?

I bought the game from Steam. It automatically uses DOSBox once I start the game. Guess it must be the Dos version


So - try this - upload the last save game - and I can load GK2 on DOS and see if I can replicate or pass it. (You may need to zip the savegame).

Here it is. It should be the one where Grace is standing outside of the castle.


Gah - I just realized, it's going to probably need to be the whole save game folder - because it has the "index" save file there too, I think?

I will try to dig out my GK2 CDs and reinstall it on my machine and see if I can get past this. Won't be till Sunday (Saturday I am going to PowerCon up in LA).
User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
 
Posts: 9605
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified

Re: Unable to continue GK The Beast Within chapter 6

Postby Awesomeg » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:35 am

The save files are located in a folder called GK2. But the problem is that the GK2 folder also contains other folders and lots of other files. Might take too long to upload.

Instead of installing through cds, do you think you can download it from Steam? So when you have bypassed the problem,there would be a higher chance of the game having compatibility with the save file(the solved one) when you send it to me? :) Thanks

Edit:Tried to upload the GK2 folder but the Upload Attachment here can't upload folders, only files. Would it be okay if I just send all the other save files?
Awesomeg
Al who?
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:23 pm
Gender: Male

Re: Unable to continue GK The Beast Within chapter 6

Postby adeyke » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:50 am

Definitely don't upload the whole folder, since that would then also include the game itself. Just zip up the save files and the save file index (so all files starting with GK2SG, with an extension consisting either of a string of digits or "cat") and upload that zip file.
User avatar
adeyke
Oldbie
 
Posts: 580
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:47 pm
Location: Bühlerzell, Germany
Gender: Male

Re: Unable to continue GK The Beast Within chapter 6

Postby Awesomeg » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:26 am

Zip file
Attachments
GK2SG.zip
(2.58 MiB) Downloaded 13 times
Awesomeg
Al who?
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:23 pm
Gender: Male

Re: Unable to continue GK The Beast Within chapter 6

Postby Awesomeg » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:27 am

adeyke wrote:Definitely don't upload the whole folder, since that would then also include the game itself. Just zip up the save files and the save file index (so all files starting with GK2SG, with an extension consisting either of a string of digits or "cat") and upload that zip file.


Thanks for the advice
Awesomeg
Al who?
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:23 pm
Gender: Male

Re: Unable to continue GK The Beast Within chapter 6

Postby Tawmis » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:07 pm

adeyke wrote:Definitely don't upload the whole folder, since that would then also include the game itself. Just zip up the save files and the save file index (so all files starting with GK2SG, with an extension consisting either of a string of digits or "cat") and upload that zip file.


Sorry, yes - the above is what I had meant. :)
User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
 
Posts: 9605
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified

Re: Unable to continue GK The Beast Within chapter 6

Postby Tawmis » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:27 am

Just realized I have GK2 from GOG. So as long as the games are the same version number - this should work. I am installing GK2 now.
Attachments
Image1.png
User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
 
Posts: 9605
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified

Re: Unable to continue GK The Beast Within chapter 6

Postby Tawmis » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:41 am

I get the same error.
Attachments
Image1.png
User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
 
Posts: 9605
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified

Re: Unable to continue GK The Beast Within chapter 6

Postby Tawmis » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:51 am

I'm determined now - dug out my GK2 - and installing the DOS version through DOSBox.

I wonder if this version that's on Steam and GOG is missing a file.
User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
 
Posts: 9605
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified

Re: Unable to continue GK The Beast Within chapter 6

Postby Tawmis » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:58 am

Well that's another dead end. As soon as I restore your game it asks for CD# -1...

Tried all 6 CDs, none of which loaded.

But... going to try something else now...
User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
 
Posts: 9605
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified

Next

Return to The Gabriel Knight Series

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest