King's Quest by the Odd Gentlemen (Trailer inside!)

Is the game being a ROYAL pain? Need a hint? Got a problem? This is the place to discuss King's Quest!

Re: King's Quest by the Odd Gentlemen (Trailer inside!)

Postby Collector » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:51 pm

No, I got your point and mostly agree with you. It was just on an aside that I was commiserating with MI that he is not the only one in that boat.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Image
User avatar
Collector
Grand Poobah
 
Posts: 10372
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:57 am
Location: Sierraland

Speaking of King's Quest and the Odd Gentlemen...

Postby Rath Darkblade » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:45 am

Have any of you seen this? Roberta and Ken Williams are honoured as icons of the games industry. :)

About darned time...

(P.S. Don't worry about the link. It goes to another message board that both I and other Sierra veterans - ones from the very, very, very old days - frequent. "Very very very old days" being defined as from the time that Sierra still had their own message boards for their own games, i.e. roughly mid-90s onwards. ;)

P.S.S. For any Farcebook/Titter/etc. kids that may be around - yes kids, we grown-ups had message boards back in them thar days! 20 years before Facebook, ayup!) :P
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One
 
Posts: 3061
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:15 am
Location: Lost in Translation
Gender: Not specified

Re: Speaking of King's Quest and the Odd Gentlemen...

Postby DeadPoolX » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:05 am

Rath Darkblade wrote:Have any of you seen this? Roberta and Ken Williams are honoured as icons of the games industry. :)

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but... that's old news.

This was covered and discussed (in detail) in the Sierra Gamers group on Facebook. You might want to join it, as there's a lot of stuff talked about on there that doesn't make it to SHP.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
User avatar
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!
 
Posts: 3921
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:00 pm
Location: Canada
Gender: XY

Re: Speaking of King's Quest and the Odd Gentlemen...

Postby Tawmis » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:46 pm

DeadPoolX wrote:
Rath Darkblade wrote:Have any of you seen this? Roberta and Ken Williams are honoured as icons of the games industry. :)

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but... that's old news.

This was covered and discussed (in detail) in the Sierra Gamers group on Facebook. You might want to join it, as there's a lot of stuff talked about on there that doesn't make it to SHP.


Rath may not have Facebook. If it weren't for the fact that FB Pages are an easy, nice, quick way to advertise something; I'd probably do away with my FB account as well.

And on the thread that the above link goes to, he does say he saw it on SHP. (So I am not sure why he posted it here if he said he saw it here!) :lol:
http://thecommonroom.yuku.com/reply/372 ... eply-37266
User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
 
Posts: 8789
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified

Re: Speaking of King's Quest and the Odd Gentlemen...

Postby Rath Darkblade » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:48 am

DeadPoolX wrote:
Rath Darkblade wrote:Have any of you seen this? Roberta and Ken Williams are honoured as icons of the games industry. :)

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but... that's old news.

This was covered and discussed (in detail) in the Sierra Gamers group on Facebook. You might want to join it, as there's a lot of stuff talked about on there that doesn't make it to SHP.


I'm sorry, but I don't have a Facebook account. The one and only time that I tried getting one, Facebook allowed me to to create an account - but then wouldn't allow me to log in... GRRR. So I thought, "Well if that's your game - just taking all my details and selling them to your friends, and then not even providing a service - then I refuse to use Facebook at all." :x

The Zucker Empire is one of the few things that gets me that angry. Mark Zuckerberg is the spawn of Satan, put here on this lovely green Earth to tempt us lowly mortals, etc. etc., you all know in your hearts it's true! :Furious: :P

Sigh. Sorry to rant, but the way I was treated by FB just makes me very angry. :(

Tawmis wrote:Rath may not have Facebook. If it weren't for the fact that FB Pages are an easy, nice, quick way to advertise something; I'd probably do away with my FB account as well.

And on the thread that the above link goes to, he does say he saw it on SHP. (So I am not sure why he posted it here if he said he saw it here!) :lol:
http://thecommonroom.yuku.com/reply/372 ... eply-37266


Yep, I don't have FB (as above!) ;) And... sorry... but I said on the other forum that I saw the "reveal video" on SHP - what I meant by "reveal video" is the Odd Gentlemen's trailer. I haven't seen or heard about Ken and Roberta being honoured, and that's what I wanted to share - that's all. :)
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One
 
Posts: 3061
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:15 am
Location: Lost in Translation
Gender: Not specified

New KQ Article

Postby Collector » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:10 am

Someone has posted an article about the new KQ. It reveals more than I suspect that they would have had there not been such a large blowback from the platformy looking trailer. If it is as the article says, it will very much be an adventure in the KQ tradition, even if not point and click. I must say that now my main complaint mostly just that the sprites are too cartoony for me. I guess that I can live with that if the rest of it is good.
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Image
User avatar
Collector
Grand Poobah
 
Posts: 10372
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:57 am
Location: Sierraland

Re: New KQ Article

Postby Tawmis » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:08 am

Collector wrote:Someone has posted an article about the new KQ. It reveals more than I suspect that they would have had there not been such a large blowback from the platformy looking trailer. If it is as the article says, it will very much be an adventure in the KQ tradition, even if not point and click. I must say that now my main complaint mostly just that the sprites are too cartoony for me. I guess that I can live with that if the rest of it is good.


Interesting read. It's also episodic too, yes? Chalk that up for a complaint if that's still the case.

The cartoony, I don't mind. I always saw it like (KQ = family game, SQ = teenagers {mostly male}, LSL = adults {mostly male}, PQ = serious) when the original games came out back in the day. KQ was something I thought was best for family and kids to play together; this is why the animation in KQ7 doesn't really bother me. So it's not too surprising that the animation is a little cartoony; perhaps the dynamic of what KQ was back in the 80s to now has drastically changed; but I guess it still sits fine with me, if KQ looks a little more "kid friendly" because it's what I sort of expect, I guess?
User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
 
Posts: 8789
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified

Re: New KQ Article

Postby Collector » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:03 am

I agree about the episodic aspect, but that can be curable by waiting for the entire game is finished before buying.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Image
User avatar
Collector
Grand Poobah
 
Posts: 10372
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:57 am
Location: Sierraland

Re: New KQ Article

Postby stuntology » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:05 pm

Wow. That article makes me really excited to play the game now! Great find! The narrative structure sounds really interesting.

I think I'll probably wait until all the episodes are released to play it as well, though.

And :P to 'King's Quest 8 DOES exist'!
User avatar
stuntology
Sierra Obsessed
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:07 am
Location: Canada
Gender: Male

Re: King's Quest by the Odd Gentlemen (Trailer inside!)

Postby Tawmis » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:30 pm

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
 
Posts: 8789
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified

Re: King's Quest by the Odd Gentlemen (Trailer inside!)

Postby notbobsmith » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:31 pm

They updated with a Behind the Scenes video:

http://www.sierra.com/kingsquest
User avatar
notbobsmith
Sierra Lover
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:02 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male

Re: King's Quest by the Odd Gentlemen (Trailer inside!)

Postby Tawmis » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:57 am

notbobsmith wrote:They updated with a Behind the Scenes video:

http://www.sierra.com/kingsquest


The video makes me hopeful...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... CPRP2sidDE

But it seems like it's one large interactive movie (sort of like Dragon's Lair... or am I insane in feeling that way?)

It's odd - that in King's Quest III - Alexander is known as "Gwydion" and in this one, Graham is telling his GRANDdaughter (so either Rosella or Alexander has a kid with someone) - named "Gwendolyn" which seems pretty close to Alexander's name under Manahahananana's control.

Interesting find on the King's Quest III wiki when I looked up Gwydion's name spelling:

The game's title is a pun on the proverb "To err is human, to forgive divine" by Alexander Pope, whose namesake may have been given to the character Gwydion once it is later revealed who he really is in the game.

I had never caught that.
User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
 
Posts: 8789
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified

Re: King's Quest by the Odd Gentlemen (Trailer inside!)

Postby DeadPoolX » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:17 pm

Tawmis wrote:But it seems like it's one large interactive movie (sort of like Dragon's Lair... or am I insane in feeling that way?)

Ugh... don't start with that. There are more than a few asshats in the Sierra Gamers Facebook group who're proclaiming the new KQ is nothing more than a "Dragon's Lair clone."

I know you're not saying that (nor am I calling you an asshat), but I've heard it so much already that it's become a major pet peeve of mine.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
User avatar
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!
 
Posts: 3921
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:00 pm
Location: Canada
Gender: XY

Re: King's Quest by the Odd Gentlemen (Trailer inside!)

Postby Tawmis » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:46 pm

DeadPoolX wrote:
Tawmis wrote:But it seems like it's one large interactive movie (sort of like Dragon's Lair... or am I insane in feeling that way?)

Ugh... don't start with that. There are more than a few asshats in the Sierra Gamers Facebook group who're proclaiming the new KQ is nothing more than a "Dragon's Lair clone."
I know you're not saying that (nor am I calling you an asshat), but I've heard it so much already that it's become a major pet peeve of mine.


Hah! I hadn't heard that! (Though it's okay if you call me an @[email protected]). :-)

Mine is speculation alone, from what I have seen in the video. And the only reason it's perhaps so fresh in mind - is because I actually have Dragon's Lair on my iPad that I frequently play as a time killer (when I am waiting at an airport or something). :)

Would it be better if I said it was like Space Ace? :lol:
User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
 
Posts: 8789
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified

Re: King's Quest by the Odd Gentlemen (Trailer inside!)

Postby Tawmis » Sun May 17, 2015 12:35 pm

King's Quest's star-studded voice cast includes Christopher Lloyd and more
http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/10/858120 ... a-williams
User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
 
Posts: 8789
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified

PreviousNext

Return to The King's Quest Series

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron