Next unboxing video (need some help)

Where to Find Sierra classic games. Please note: Most of the Sierra games have areas on the forum designated for them! If you have an issue with one of the Sierra games, please post them in the correct forum!
cpages2
Sierra Obsessed

Next unboxing video (need some help)

Post by cpages2 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:02 pm

So we will be filming the next few "unboxing" videos this week for our site:

Leisure Suit Larry (EGA)
Codename Ice Man
Colonials Bequest

Here is what I could use from my fellow collectors. I would love to have some interesting facts, fun stories or any general (not Wikipedia) information about these games and game play. We will include this in the video when we are talking about the game.

Anyone that gives us info and it is used I will put your name, site or what ever you want promoted in our credits.

Thank you again!!

- Mike
www.youcantbesrsly.com

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: Next unboxing video (need some help)

Post by Tawmis » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:39 pm

Well, not so much about the game - but it's creator. Al Lowe did a guest voice for my series Neverending Nights in Episode 55 "All Time 'Lowe'" where he voices a Neverwinter Nights version of our beloved Leisure Suit Larry, and he talks to Grayson (one of the would be heroes) about how to pick up on the Ladies.
Attachments
ep55-thumb.jpg
Leisure Suit Larry? Al Lowe voices the character in Episode 55 of "Neverending Nights" entitled "All Time 'Lowe'"

Rudy
Village Elder

Post by Rudy » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:18 pm

As for the Colonel's Bequest, clearly it was an attempt from Roberta Williams to remake and improve her first game, Mystery House, and a quite successful one, though that wouldn't be too hard since Mystery House lacked animation, color, music and any character depth or even plot. I do believe the focus of Laura Bow 1 lies on the leading and sole animator though, Douglas Herring, who also drew most of the game's backgrounds (see picture below). The graphics of the game have his trademark printed all over it and he added some personal touches. For example, the rowing boat in which Laura arrives at the plantation carries the name "Jessie". Jessie is a reference to Herring's niece, who was 6 or 7 years old at the time the game was published.
Another thing about the Colonel's Bequest is of course the content of the box and the unique copyright protection of the game. It comes with a map of the plantation which, on the back, carries a number of disguised fingerprints with character names below each print. To access the game, the player would have to identify a print, using a magnifying glass which came in the box and revealed those prints. Another item that came in the box was a pen, a highly collectible item which is missing from most auctions of this game. What else can i say, it was one of the last, if not THE last AGI game and people have been begging for a remake. It was added to the 1997 King's Quest Collection, along with its sequel, as well as in the Roberta William's Anthology.

Sierra Chest creator, Sierra collector/curator.

Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:36 pm

TCB is not an AGI game. It is an SCI0 game. The honor of the last AGI games would go to the Manhunter games.

Also, one thing that I was pleased about with the copy of LB1 I bought was this
Attachments
LBPencil.png
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

cpages2
Sierra Obsessed

Post by cpages2 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:41 pm

Sierra chest - I just checked my box and I do have the map, magnifying glass and a pencil (not a pen). Did you mean pencil?

Also does anyone have a complete list of contents for these 3 games? I want to make sure my copies are whole.

Thank you everyone for the info!! Keep it coming, we appreciate it!

- Mike

Rudy
Village Elder

Post by Rudy » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:58 pm

Collector wrote:TCB is not an AGI game. It is an SCI0 game. The honor of the last AGI games would go to the Manhunter games.

Also, one thing that I was pleased about with the copy of LB1 I bought was this
Why do I keep confusing AGI and SCI... gaaaawd :(
Sierra Chest creator, Sierra collector/curator.

Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:07 pm

I had always heard that it was a pencil, not a pen. Both of my copies have pencils. My most complete copy has
  • 10 5.25" floppies, 4 3.5" floppies
  • The Tulane notepad
  • LB pencil (see above image)
  • The Colonials Bequest manual
  • Misty Acres map/copy protection fingerprint sheet
  • Red spy glass
  • troubleshooting insert
  • warranty card
  • the soundcard letter from Ken
  • Tenth Anniversary catalog
  • An offer for Prodigy.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:40 pm

Mine has a pencil as well. A tiny one, but a pencil none the less.