Daryl F. Gates passed away Friday

Caught in your own cuffs? Need a hint? Or just want to talk about Police Quest - this is the place to do it!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: Daryl F. Gates passed away Friday

Post by Tawmis » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:44 pm

DeadPoolX wrote: Oh, I'm sure it was intended as a minor correction. The problem was that was neither the place nor the time to make such a correction.
Well said.

And you know - I think it's the fact that it started with "Ahem" - it really did.

I mean if she had said, something like:

"Actually, he did not create PQ4. They may have used his name, but he was not the actual designer. He helped with..."

And EXPLAIN what she meant. Starting the comment with "Ahem" made it immediately come of as a snide remark in a thread talking about his passing.

MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:32 am

I'm not arguing that it came off that way....of course it did. The response of it is evidence enough of that. Maybe the 'ahem' was something more of an innocent "just a side note" under-the-radar kind of response. Which doesn't work well on forums at all in that way.

Anyway, I agree with you guys it wasn't the time or place. But maybe she also felt a little offended by the reference of Daryl as a passing of a great Sierra game designer, which he wasn't. But whatever. What more can we say about it...
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001

oberonqa
Sierra Lover

Post by oberonqa » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:20 am

The comment that Christi made was off-color... but unfortunately with the internet, it's difficult to know one way or the other. Perhaps MI is correct and she was merely making a correction... or perhaps she was making a snide and off-color remark. With the internet, it's difficult to know one way or the other.

What I'd like to know is what happened to Jim Walls. I've done some digging around and all I can gather is he left Sierra after finishing PQ3... apparently on bad terms. There was an alleged argument that involved yelling in the office, but nothing concrete.

I look at it as kind of unsolved mystery. And considering Jim Walls was one of Sierra's heavy hitters (along with Williams, the Coles, and Al Lowe), it is one of those things that I guess I'm morbidly curious about.

(The stuff in italics can be discussed over here. - Tawmis)

But anyway... back on topic. RIP Daryl. (And sorry for the necro-post!)