Wacky Japanese Police Quest 2

Caught in your own cuffs? Need a hint? Or just want to talk about Police Quest - this is the place to do it!

Wacky Japanese Police Quest 2

Postby OmerMor » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:23 am

(cross post with the ScummVM forums)
I recently got 4 Japanese PC98 Sierra games: PQ2, QfG1, KQ5 & SQ4.
Out of these, PQ2 proved to be the coolest.
Here's what I learned so far:
The SCI0 games (QfG1 & PQ2) both have 2 display modes: 640x400x8 colors & 640x400x16 colors. The 8-colors mode is a dithered version of the 16-colors mode that use the high resolution for dithering (like the EGA640.DRV driver does for 256-color games). In the 16 colors mode the high resolution is used just for the Japanese text. The resources use 16 colors in 320x200 resolution.
(My version of) PQ2 came with a driver only for the 8-colors. I used the 16-colors driver from QfG1 with PQ2 and it works.
Here are some pictures:
16 Colors
8 Colors (Dithered)

Now for the really fun part:
PQ2 has slightly different views than the english version: They've drawn the faces in Anime style (like the japanese Zak Mackracken).
Here is an example:
English version
Japanese version

Cool, eh? :D

m_kiewitz from the ScummVM forums even uploaded a short video from this game to youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHJbeTlARA4
OmerMor
Sierra Obsessed

Re: Wacky Japanese Police Quest 2

Postby Tawmis » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:19 am

:lol:

Okay. Seriously. That HAS to be some kind of custom mod. I would imagine the only thing different would be the text into Japanese... because the artwork (for the material within the game) still came from Sierra here in the United States (so far as I know anyway). So I wonder if someone modified the art within the game and repackaged it in Japan to give it that anime style?
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Postby DeadPoolX » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:55 am

The strangest thing I see is that, if redrawn in anime style, Marie isn't sporting an impossible pair of breasts and doesn't look like jailbait. If you've watched anime in the past, you'll know what I'm talking about. :P
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!

Postby OmerMor » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:22 pm

Tawmis: I can assure you - this is the real thing. From what I understand, Sierra had some sort of division in Japan called "Sierra Online Japan", which produced games for the PC-98 and FM-Towns. However the only game I noticed that got the Anime-treatment is PQ2.
Most of the game characters have been altered to look that way. If there's interest I can upload more images.
OmerMor
Sierra Obsessed

Postby Tawmis » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:52 pm

That's wicked. I am VERY surprised then that Leisure Suit Larry never got the anime treatment...
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Postby envisge0ne » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:52 am

Same here. If there is no policy against asking, I'd love to get a copy too if possible :)
envisge0ne
Sierra Obsessed

Return to The Police Quest Series