Designing Police Quest V.

Caught in your own cuffs? Need a hint? Or just want to talk about Police Quest - this is the place to do it!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Designing Police Quest V.

Post by Tawmis » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:24 pm

The idea came to me to post some threads about other Sierra games, when I was just digging through my email and found an ancient story I had written where the next King's Quest game would be Edgar (from King's Quest IV) seeking out Rosella to try and win her hand in marriage. It was, in my head, a cool idea because Edgar would technically be a king (with his mother - spoilers! - now dead).

So, I thought - given the chance, if you were brought in to help, or pitch ideas, or help direct (so let's avoid answers like, "I'd call in Jane Jensen/Al Lowe/Roberta Willians/Scott Murphy/Mark Crowe/Jim Walls/Christy Marx/etc" - and assume they're there too :lol: ) - to work on the next game.

So in this case - if you were a part of the creative team, what would you hope for in the next POLICE QUEST?

notbobsmith
Sierra Veteran

Re: Designing Police Quest V.

Post by notbobsmith » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:11 pm

Return the setting to Lytton. Sonny Bonds returns as chief of police. Make the main character fully customizable like in a modern RPG (e.g. Commander Shepard). The format should be like PQ1 and PQ3 where you start off as a patrol officer and handle routine matters before getting involved in the main plot. The plot should not involve the Bains'.

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:26 pm

notbobsmith wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:11 pm
Return the setting to Lytton. Sonny Bonds returns as chief of police. Make the main character fully customizable like in a modern RPG (e.g. Commander Shepard). The format should be like PQ1 and PQ3 where you start off as a patrol officer and handle routine matters before getting involved in the main plot. The plot should not involve the Bains'.
We're of similar mind. First thing I'd do is return it to Lytton as well.

Would you make it so you're new Officer is reporting to Bonds, as a part of his patrols?

And I like that you emphasize that it doesn't involve Bains... but... what about his brother (Dramatic Music!!) al-la King's Quest V? :lol:
Attachments
Untitled.png
Introducing Police Quest IV: Bain In The Ass.

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:12 pm

Tawmis wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:26 pm
notbobsmith wrote:

Would you make it so you're new Officer is reporting to Bonds, as a part of his patrols?

And I like that you emphasize that it doesn't involve Bains... but... what about his brother (Dramatic Music!!) al-la King's Quest V? :lol:
DUN DUN DUUUUUUN! :lol:

I don't understand the reference here - Clay Bain? What's that? :?

Yes, I agree - a return to Lytton would be very agreeable. :)

How will PQ work if the main character is customisable like an RPG (e.g. QFG)? What skills will he have to work on - handcuff tightening? Doughnut scarfing? Walking around car to make sure wheels okay? :lol:

(You have achieved the achievement "Doughnut Wheelie" by eating 100 doughnuts!) :P

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:18 pm

Rath Darkblade wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:12 pm
How will PQ work if the main character is customisable like an RPG (e.g. QFG)? What skills will he have to work on - handcuff tightening? Doughnut scarfing? Walking around car to make sure wheels okay? :lol:
Well, it would be similar, I suppose to when in QfG, you sit there and throw knives at the board to get your throwing skill up.
You could practice with your gun at a shooting range to increase your skills at shooting.
If you do specific things (get down to the details of procedures) it could increase your "Perception" giving you a chance to notice things without having to type "Look at the car tire." or click on the tire. It might just pop up, "You notice one of the bolts has been loosened on your hubcap. Someone intentionally did this..." Where as if your perception isn't high (and you have to click on or type), it might just say, "It looks like a bolt is loose on your hubcap."

And you could do things where when you're in a bar (or any room, just picking a bar as an example), you can click the "ear" icon on people to listen to their conversations. This increases your listening skill, so you can move in a hallway and click on someone further away or on a door and hear what's being said. This would be good for investigation work. So you wouldn't have to stand close to someone to hear what they're saying.

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:39 pm

Hmm, that's a good idea. :) I think that you do some gun practice in PQ2, too.

The Perception and Listen skills are used in D&D as well. Maybe we can take a leaf from D&D (except without the skills that don't exist in the PQ world, obviously). ;)

notbobsmith
Sierra Veteran

Post by notbobsmith » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:41 pm

Tawmis wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:26 pm
notbobsmith wrote:

If Sonny is chief, I doubt the character would interact that much with him. Even in a relatively small police department, I'd imagine a sergeant would be the first person someone would report to.

And no Bains period. No brothers, sons, cousins. As has been pointed out, that cliché has been overdone. All three games had one.
Rath Darkblade wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:12 pm

(You have achieved the achievement "Doughnut Wheelie" by eating 100 doughnuts!) :P
Only in terms of appearance. Or the ability to make the character a man or woman.

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:11 am

notbobsmith wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:41 pm
And no Bains period. No brothers, sons, cousins. As has been pointed out, that cliché has been overdone. All three games had one.
Hopefully it was clear that I was being silly with said suggestion! :lol:

Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:21 am

I wouldn't mind seeing this in the style of a modern-day L.A. Noire with RPG elements. As said, back to Lytton, no Bains, and with stats that you can build by following proper procedure. Also, real driving where you have to obey road rules (no GTA antics allowed.)

I'm a fan of Brooklyn 99, so I'd also like to see a diverse cast of supporting officers, and team up with different partners throughout the game. You can build interpersonal relationships which can affect how well you work together on the field, or what you do off-duty.

And maybe play as Sonny's kid, following in their dad's footsteps. Could visit him in your off-time and go fishing together.
Box of Mystery, Adventure Games, Cartoons, Books and more!

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:29 am

Datadog wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:21 am
I'd also like to see a diverse cast of supporting officers, and team up with different partners throughout the game. You can build interpersonal relationships which can affect how well you work together on the field, or what you do off-duty.
Dude, that's gold right there.

MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:59 am

I like the idea of Sonny being the Chief. I'm also interested in PLAYING Sonny as the Chief, though I don't know what's all involved and whether that would be interesting gameplay-wise or not. Playing as Sonny's son is another great idea. Puts the whole concept in current year but still respecting the origins. Definitely return to Lytton.

Although, technically it should be called Police Quest 4 because Gates' PQ was just called Open Season. I know that the DOS folder directories said "PQ4" but I don't think it was ever really considered that....was it? Kind of like a Mask of Eternity situation.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:34 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:59 am
I like the idea of Sonny being the Chief. I'm also interested in PLAYING Sonny as the Chief, though I don't know what's all involved and whether that would be interesting gameplay-wise or not. Playing as Sonny's son is another great idea. Puts the whole concept in current year but still respecting the origins. Definitely return to Lytton.

Although, technically it should be called Police Quest 4 because Gates' PQ was just called Open Season. I know that the DOS folder directories said "PQ4" but I don't think it was ever really considered that....was it? Kind of like a Mask of Eternity situation.
I, never considered it PQ4, myself (similar to Mask of Eternity). But in these examples, I counted it as a PQ4 (because it has "Police Quest" in the title). Similar to (much against my wants :lol: ) King's Quest - I counted Mask of Eternity as KQVIII and the Odd Gentlemen King's Quest as King's Quest IX.

MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:14 pm

How...compliant of you. :P lol

Incidentally, "Police Quest V" just sounds great to say...it should really be a thing. Imagine that kind of comeback.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001

notbobsmith
Sierra Veteran

Post by notbobsmith » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:54 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:59 am
I like the idea of Sonny being the Chief. I'm also interested in PLAYING Sonny as the Chief, though I don't know what's all involved and whether that would be interesting gameplay-wise or not.
"Join Chief Sonny Bonds as he meets with the Board of Selectmen to discuss next year's budget!"

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:46 am

I'd steal several ideas already mentioned here...

I'd return the game to Lytonn. Sonny Bonds by this time has been promoted to Chief. You would then create your own officer (their appearance, hair color, gender) but based on gender would have an pre-existing name so that the game's audio will call you by that name. You would have to work on skills (such as shooting, driving, procedures) that help you develop your character. Also, depending on who you interact with in the office, will help learn different skills (but some people don't get along with others, so you'd have to be careful to get a little from everyone; or otherwise side with specific people to get specific skills out of them, and not worry about getting skills from others) - this way there's a little replay-ability (and creates a "faction" within the police departments). You would not be the son of Sonny (I'd want a brand new officer) and the main villain you eventually track has nothing to do with Bains (and wouldn't even be a murder case; but something else, like narcotics).

Chief Sonny Bonds would be there to offer "hints" from his "back in my day" stories to guide you.