Good suggestions. I did download the installer from this site. I didn't add any patches or anything. I did get it to crash on my wife's machine. She created a guy, didn't put any points in him, and just started the game. That didn't seem to crash. I created a guy on her machine with exactly what i was doing on mine. While it didn't give the exact error that I can duplicate on mine, it did give an error and crash. Here is exactly the steps i'm following.
1. Launch QFG1 VGA
2. Click through the beginning statements
3. Escape out of the Sierra logo
4. Create new Hero
5. Double click Thief
6. Name: Magumba
7. Roll over Magic, hit right arrow once to learn the skill.
8. Roll over Parry, hit hit right arrow once to learn the skill.
9. Roll over Luck, hit right until no more points are available (should end up with 30 pts total).
10. Click "Start".
11. Left click through the dialog.
12. Right click twice to cycle to the lips
13. Talk to the sheriff to get your first point
14. hit escape to exit out of his dialog set
15. left click on Otto to speak to him
Sometimes it just locks up, most times I get the "Opp! you did something unexpected" with different error codes. On the wife's PC, i got "You get no response." as expected, but when I hit it a second time, I got a missing resource error. Hope that helps to replicate it. I've tried different names, using points, not using points, putting points in different areas, nothing made a difference.
Actually, i may be onto something. From what I've tested, it seems that hitting ESC to get out of a dialog box instead of using the "Enough Already" breaks it. I opened up the sheriff's dialog, closed it with Enough Already, and I can click on otto all day. After closing the dialog with ESC, i clicked on the sheriff again and it crashed. Noob actually mentioned the ESC key earier in this thread, so maybe that's the issue all together. i will play some late with just using the mouse as the interaction for everything and see how that goes.