Lost install disk!

Not finding any Glory in this whole Quest for Glory bit? Need a hint? Or just want to discuss Quest for Glory - this is the place to do it!

Lost install disk!

Postby samd577 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:45 pm

I've got a well loved copy of Quest for Glory 5: Dragon Fire on CD that I was hoping to install and play once again. Unfortunately the install disk (disk 1) has become lost and all my searching has proven fruitless. I had almost lost hope when I stumbled across the new installer download on this website. I downloaded it and proceeded to attempt to install.

The installer asked me to insert the original disk in order to work, which I have taken to mean the game disk, seeing as it seems a bit daft to be able to download a new installer only to need the old one for it to function. However, the new installer won't accept my game disk and keeps ejecting it and asking for me to 'Insert the Quest for Glory V: Dragon Fire CD in D: and click OK'.

Can anybody offer me any help? Is it because I actually need the install disk in order to run the new installer? Or is it because I'm trying to get it to install on a Windows 8 computer?

The disk I have works. My computer recognises it as the game and trys to run the autorun file, but it's not installed (obviously).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sam.
samd577
Noob

Re: Lost install disk!

Postby adeyke » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:49 pm

Actually, it does need the original install disk. The installer just takes the role of the setup.exe. The install CD also has a bunch of game resources (i.e. the things it should install), and you'll still need all of those. The installer isn't there for people who are missing the original CDs; instead, it's there to provide new functionality (getting it to work on 64 bit systems and not needing the disk in the drive to play).
adeyke
Sierra Veteran

Re: Lost install disk!

Postby samd577 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:57 pm

Ok thanks, that's what I was afraid of. Is there anything I can do to get the game installed short of buying it again? Thanks.
samd577
Noob

Return to The Quest for Glory Series