I have now finished Hero-U with all three electives - First Aid, Magic, and SCIENCE!
Here are some thoughts...
Science is probably the trickiest.
You can build glues and bombs etc., but you need materials from the Gog cave, which you can't get until you meet the Kwirk (Meep) on Day 17 or so. Even when you do build those bombs, you need a lot of materials. I tried to get them by beating the Gog King, but I nearly died doing so and had to run away. Even so, the science class ends with you getting a really unique weapon (which you probably don't need by then).
First Aid is fun and different. It starts with just collecting mushrooms, which you can do in the upstairs garden or outside (in the library/rec room/reception/gazebo area). If you do this every day, by the end of class you'll have heaps of mushrooms - more than enough for the 2nd time you take First Aid. On the 2nd go, you'll learn to make bandages, pills and potions,
which are extremely useful.
Finally, Magic... the Magic class is pretty easy. You start off with just being able to Detect Magic, which is fun but not very useful. Eventually, however, you gain access to unique and powerful runes, like runes to damage your opponents with fire and ice, or slow them down.
Some more thoughts? Time management in this game is an interesting challenge. Here's what I recommend:
1. Start off by building up your Strength (by lifting weights) and your Agility (by walking the rope). These two are crucial. The Climbing skill (at the rope) is nice-to-have. Practicing your Defence and Combat are nice, but can be done in actual combat.
2. When you have a chance to go to the Rec Room, practice everything at every chance you get. The Dart Board will help your Throwing score, which will help with throwing daggers
. The Card Table will increase your Games score, which will help you with games of Poobah
. Practicing Billiards will increase your Agility
, a key score for any Rogue. All three have a chance of increasing your Games score.
3. When you get the option to start practicing sneaking (on day 3),
do it every chance you get! The best way is to sneak around Terk and avoid getting caught.
4. Your Perception skill is also key. You'll get a chance to start practicing it on Day 6.
Do it every chance you get!
5. Finally, your lockpicking skill will help to pick locks (obviously) and to defeat traps
(not so obviously).
The best time to practice is after Terk sends you to bed at 10pm. You'll have a 2-hour window until midnight. Pick up one of the locks on the table and practice with those! You'll increase your lockpicking skill by 1 every 20 minutes or so, whereas if you practice on the lockers, it takes an hour.
How to make money? You'll be invited to a game of Poobah sooner or later (probably about day 7), so practice your gaming score in the Rec Room! It will make Poobah easier. Here are some hints to make Poobah even easier:
1. Sosi is a big-shot who bets heavily, but he doesn't always have good cards. Watch his face carefully. If he starts smiling and squinting, this means he has good cards. If his eyes are nearly closed, he has a Fizbin. If his eyes are closed and he's smiling, he has a Poobah.
Watch out for this and prepare accordingly.
2. Joel Kyro is a good player, but there is one subtle tell that you can watch for. If his smile broadens slightly, he has a Poobah.
3. Thomas Kent is a cautious player. He will usually not fold until after everyone has a chance to change their cards or hold 'em. However, if he bets heavily, he usually has good cards.
4. Esme is cautious like Thomas, but telegraphs her cards by her mood. If she smiles broadly, she normally has good cards.
5. Katie the Pirate's Daughter is not subtle, but be careful! If she smiles broadly, she normally has bad cards, and vice versa - if she looks like she's frowning like she's just eaten a lemon, she has a Poobah. A neutral reaction means she has a Fizbin.
Don't be fooled!
6. Finally, there's Aeolus. Aeolus, like Katie, isn't subtle, but unlike Katie, he telegraphs his cards. If he frowns, he has bad cards. If he smiles broadly, he has good ones - most usually a Fizbin. If he opens his mouth in an O of shock (like "I can't believe I have such great cards!"), he has a Poobah.
Don't be suckered in!
Another great way of making money is helping Katie with her treasure hunt. As long as you're nice and helpful to her, you'll get plenty of treasure, as well as a magical dagger
. However, you won't get a chance to do this until about day 30 or so, so don't stress.