Silpheed speed issue

Nonspecific Sierra games or ones that do not have its own forum.
Post Reply
User avatar
Rudy
Village Elder
Posts: 1701
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:54 am
Gender: M
Location: Slovenia
Contact:

Silpheed speed issue

Post by Rudy » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:59 am

Hi Collector,

Trying to run Silpheed with DOSBox. It works but the firing rate and movement speed are slow - too slow to ever make it to the end of the game. Looking at this Youtube video, it is much faster and fluid. Does anybody have an idea on how to get this speed?

I tried messing around with cycles, cpu type and so forth, but to no avail... Also tried the installer - still no improvement. Diagnostic in attachment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqjYuZNzArw
Attachments
diagnostic_log.txt
(2.63 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
Sierra Chest creator, Sierra collector/curator.

User avatar
Collector
Grand Poobah
Posts: 11354
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:57 am
Location: Sierraland
Contact:

Re: Silpheed speed issue

Post by Collector » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:06 pm

It is working normally for me. Was there a *.QA file in yours? what was the name of it and what does it say?
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Image

User avatar
Rudy
Village Elder
Posts: 1701
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:54 am
Gender: M
Location: Slovenia
Contact:

Re: Silpheed speed issue

Post by Rudy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:22 pm

Don't see a *.QA file in the folder. Asked the guy of the Youtube video, and he said he used the default settings.
Sierra Chest creator, Sierra collector/curator.

User avatar
Collector
Grand Poobah
Posts: 11354
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:57 am
Location: Sierraland
Contact:

Re: Silpheed speed issue

Post by Collector » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:26 pm

What about on the disk?
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Image

User avatar
Rudy
Village Elder
Posts: 1701
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:54 am
Gender: M
Location: Slovenia
Contact:

Re: Silpheed speed issue

Post by Rudy » Sat May 05, 2018 11:40 am

Can't tell. While I do have the original game, I don't have a floppy drive, so I'm using a *cough* downloaded version.
Sierra Chest creator, Sierra collector/curator.

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 11770
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: Silpheed speed issue

Post by Tawmis » Sat May 05, 2018 2:23 pm

Rudy wrote:Can't tell. While I do have the original game, I don't have a floppy drive, so I'm using a *cough* downloaded version.
Image

User avatar
Rudy
Village Elder
Posts: 1701
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:54 am
Gender: M
Location: Slovenia
Contact:

Re: Silpheed speed issue

Post by Rudy » Sat May 05, 2018 7:23 pm

Lol, yeah... I really need one of those external 3.5" drives. Been wanting one of those for years now.
Sierra Chest creator, Sierra collector/curator.

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 11770
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: Silpheed speed issue

Post by Tawmis » Sat May 05, 2018 11:07 pm

Rudy wrote:Lol, yeah... I really need one of those external 3.5" drives. Been wanting one of those for years now.
We're both on the same boat. I'd also like to get one that is a 5.25" drive - but those were never officially made, I don't think. So at times, they fetch a pretty price on eBay and such. I did get lucky and had a friend who had the 3.5" USB drive, which I borrowed to make "images" of all of my Sierra disks. If I had Silpheed on disk, I would have gotten that to you to see if that helped.

User avatar
Collector
Grand Poobah
Posts: 11354
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:57 am
Location: Sierraland
Contact:

Re: Silpheed speed issue

Post by Collector » Mon May 07, 2018 7:51 am

You realize that the 3.5" USB drives are very cheap, don't you? https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... lsrc=aw.ds

That said a 5.25" will cost you more. You will have to get an old drive and a USB controller separately. The cheapest controller will probably be around $50 plus whatever you can find for the drive itself.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Image

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 11770
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: Silpheed speed issue

Post by Tawmis » Mon May 07, 2018 10:58 am

Collector wrote:You realize that the 3.5" USB drives are very cheap, don't you? https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... lsrc=aw.ds

That said a 5.25" will cost you more. You will have to get an old drive and a USB controller separately. The cheapest controller will probably be around $50 plus whatever you can find for the drive itself.
:lol: Those 3.5" have come DOWN in price! I will order one later tonight. My Sipheed is - ironically 3.5" disks - and I didn't have it Silpheed when I had borrowed the 3.5" drive a few years back. So that way I can (ideally if the disks still work) grab the files from them and make a disk image. :)

The 5.25" USB drive isn't too much of a big deal - the majority of my (old) games were on 3.5" (or both) - so as long as I can get a disk image of it, I am good.

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 11770
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: Silpheed speed issue

Post by Tawmis » Tue May 08, 2018 8:40 pm

Tawmis wrote:
Collector wrote:You realize that the 3.5" USB drives are very cheap, don't you? https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... lsrc=aw.ds
That said a 5.25" will cost you more. You will have to get an old drive and a USB controller separately. The cheapest controller will probably be around $50 plus whatever you can find for the drive itself.
:lol: Those 3.5" have come DOWN in price! I will order one later tonight. My Sipheed is - ironically 3.5" disks - and I didn't have it Silpheed when I had borrowed the 3.5" drive a few years back. So that way I can (ideally if the disks still work) grab the files from them and make a disk image. :)
The 5.25" USB drive isn't too much of a big deal - the majority of my (old) games were on 3.5" (or both) - so as long as I can get a disk image of it, I am good.
Just ordered one. Should be here tomorrow, I think.

If it does get here - and my Silpheed disks work, I will get it over to you Rudy, as I am more than sure you own the game legitimately, to see if that helps with the issues you're having.

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 11770
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: Silpheed speed issue

Post by Tawmis » Wed May 09, 2018 3:04 pm

Tawmis wrote: Just ordered one. Should be here tomorrow, I think.
If it does get here - and my Silpheed disks work, I will get it over to you Rudy, as I am more than sure you own the game legitimately, to see if that helps with the issues you're having.
Drive is set to be delivered today. Will check when I get home and see if I can get image files off the disks.

User avatar
Rudy
Village Elder
Posts: 1701
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:54 am
Gender: M
Location: Slovenia
Contact:

Re: Silpheed speed issue

Post by Rudy » Thu May 10, 2018 2:38 am

Thank you, Tawm. Think I will order one or two of those drives also. Didn't know you could get them brand new and that cheap these days.
Sierra Chest creator, Sierra collector/curator.

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 11770
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: Silpheed speed issue

Post by Tawmis » Thu May 10, 2018 9:40 am

Rudy wrote:Thank you, Tawm. Think I will order one or two of those drives also. Didn't know you could get them brand new and that cheap these days.
It's pretty cheap these days, as Collector said. I was able to get the disk images of the last few Sierra games I had.

I will probably do the same thing for the few Sir-Tech games I have (Wizardry and Realms of Arkania) and then store the drive away with my games, in case I ever have the funds (or time) to seek out some of the games I've long since lost (namely The Black Cauldron) :lol: I also need to replace my Leisure Suit Larry EGA disks... just realized when I was going through it... I no longer have the original disks... just a copy disk I made of the 5.25" eons ago. :|

I do want to one day, see about just taking the hit and getting the custom 5.25" USB drive some people make and sell, because there are some games (the EcoQuest games, Goldrush, and a few others) that I only have on 5.25" disks. (Granted, most I've gotten through GoG, or the re-release of Goldrush through Sunlight games; but it'd still be fun to have those disk images... But it's not a rush).

Post Reply