My Gold Rush playthrough

Can't seem to find your chunk of gold? This forum just might be the map you need!
User avatar
notbobsmith
Sierra Veteran
Posts: 487
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:02 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male

Re: My Gold Rush playthrough

Post by notbobsmith » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:18 am

BBP wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:49 pm
The glitch was intentional, it's even mentioned in the hint book! You now have more money than you can count!
That's pretty cool.
Collector wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:08 pm
The brand would be easy to fix. Just flip one of the views
Fixed.
gr_000.png
gr_000.png (7.75 KiB) Viewed 3349 times

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 11807
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: My Gold Rush playthrough

Post by Tawmis » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:30 am

notbobsmith wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:18 am
Fixed.
Look at you, horsing around! That's definitely your brand of humor.

:lol:

User avatar
notbobsmith
Sierra Veteran
Posts: 487
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:02 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male

Re: My Gold Rush playthrough

Post by notbobsmith » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:31 pm

I'm surprised the developers didn't iron out bugs like this.

User avatar
notbobsmith
Sierra Veteran
Posts: 487
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:02 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male

Re: My Gold Rush playthrough

Post by notbobsmith » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:07 pm

Just made my way through Panama on my third playthrough. Funny how the game will add 5 points to the maximum score when you go this route. I got all 60 points from the New York section. The game still gives hints as to what points are missing. I had forgotten to do something and was missing 2 points, and it told me what they were as I was leaving. Crossing through Panama was pretty easy. It looks like the overland route is the most puzzle intensive. I only got 88 out of 100 when I was done, though. I'm not sure what I was missing. I managed to find all of the points the other 2 routes.

User avatar
notbobsmith
Sierra Veteran
Posts: 487
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:02 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male

Re: My Gold Rush playthrough

Post by notbobsmith » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:13 pm

Done with my third playthrough. Score 184 of 255. Next will be a playthrough with a walkthrough. I know a good portion of my points are because I need to pan/dig for gold more. We'll see what else I missed. I will only do the Panama route since I know I missed points there.

I haven't mentioned this before, but why did the hotel wall in one of its rooms?

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 11807
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: My Gold Rush playthrough

Post by Tawmis » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:38 am

notbobsmith wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:07 pm
Just made my way through Panama on my third playthrough. Funny how the game will add 5 points to the maximum score when you go this route. I got all 60 points from the New York section. The game still gives hints as to what points are missing. I had forgotten to do something and was missing 2 points, and it told me what they were as I was leaving. Crossing through Panama was pretty easy. It looks like the overland route is the most puzzle intensive. I only got 88 out of 100 when I was done, though. I'm not sure what I was missing. I managed to find all of the points the other 2 routes.
I think the land route has more to do along the way; but the other two routes, I feel like you had to have more stuff before you left (like the mosquito mask and such, if I remember correctly).

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 11807
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: My Gold Rush playthrough

Post by Tawmis » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:51 am

Collector wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:08 pm
The brand would be easy to fix. Just flip one of the views
If you have an AGI Editor, importing the attachment fixes this. :)
VIEW-249.zip
Unzip the file, then import this VIEW.249 file into the Gold Rush game via something like AGI Studio to correct the view of the item.
- Tawmis
(Couldn't help it)
(506 Bytes) Downloaded 123 times
Attachments
Image1.png
Corrected view.
Image1.png (5.17 KiB) Viewed 3315 times

User avatar
BBP
Village Elder
Posts: 4388
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:07 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: My Gold Rush playthrough

Post by BBP » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:08 am

Cape Horn has a shipload of random deaths - not only that, but there is at least one puzzle that sometimes pops up but usually not. (with an overheated kettle, you have to figure out what is going on and what must be done before it explodes, but in the 50 times I played Cape Horn I only had it once.) There's some nastiness - if you find the scraps before the storm, they will be thrown overboard and you will lose them with no other chance but restore. A third weird thing: sometimes you can eat the pork! According to the hint book there's a 10% chance it won't kill you (10% is also the chance of getting blown off the raft when you're travelling by coach)
There's a new script around: SQ2! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts

User avatar
Collector
Grand Poobah
Posts: 11361
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:57 am
Location: Sierraland
Contact:

Re: My Gold Rush playthrough

Post by Collector » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:08 am

Tawmis wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:51 am
Collector wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:08 pm
The brand would be easy to fix. Just flip one of the views
If you have an AGI Editor, importing the attachment fixes this. :)
VIEW-249.zip
That is what I was saying.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Image

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 11807
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: My Gold Rush playthrough

Post by Tawmis » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:03 am

Collector wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:08 am
Tawmis wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:51 am
Collector wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:08 pm
The brand would be easy to fix. Just flip one of the views
If you have an AGI Editor, importing the attachment fixes this. :)
VIEW-249.zip
That is what I was saying.
That's what I am saying about what you're saying! :D

I went ahead and went into the AGI Studio and flipped/corrected the image, then exported it, then attached it to this thread. :)

User avatar
notbobsmith
Sierra Veteran
Posts: 487
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:02 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male

Re: My Gold Rush playthrough

Post by notbobsmith » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:11 pm

Tawmis wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:38 am
notbobsmith wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:07 pm
Just made my way through Panama on my third playthrough. Funny how the game will add 5 points to the maximum score when you go this route. I got all 60 points from the New York section. The game still gives hints as to what points are missing. I had forgotten to do something and was missing 2 points, and it told me what they were as I was leaving. Crossing through Panama was pretty easy. It looks like the overland route is the most puzzle intensive. I only got 88 out of 100 when I was done, though. I'm not sure what I was missing. I managed to find all of the points the other 2 routes.
I think the land route has more to do along the way; but the other two routes, I feel like you had to have more stuff before you left (like the mosquito mask and such, if I remember correctly).
Yes, the mosquito net for Panama and some fruit for Cape Horn. I kept buying stuff from the hardware store, like a shovel, but one way or the other you end up losing it.
BBP wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:08 am
with an overheated kettle, you have to figure out what is going on and what must be done before it explodes, but in the 50 times I played Cape Horn I only had it once.) There's some nastiness - if you find the scraps before the storm, they will be thrown overboard and you will lose them with no other chance but restore. A third weird thing: sometimes you can eat the pork! According to the hint book there's a 10% chance it won't kill you (10% is also the chance of getting blown off the raft when you're travelling by coach)
Strangely enough, I've only encountered random deaths on the overland route. I was wondering about the boiler. It had a gauge and a valve but never gave an indication that you had to do anything with them. I could be mistaken, but I thought I found the metal scraps before the storm and still had them after. Never tried eating the pork. I just assumed that that was a death sentence.

User avatar
notbobsmith
Sierra Veteran
Posts: 487
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:02 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male

Re: My Gold Rush playthrough

Post by notbobsmith » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:12 pm

Just finished with a score of 255 of 255.
gr_001.png
gr_001.png (6 KiB) Viewed 3286 times
Again, it's a very enjoyable game. It was challenging enough without being too difficult. The different routes give some replayablity. It's educational. A good example of an AGI era Sierra game.

Other observations:
Each of my previous playthroughs I sold my house while talking to Mr. Quail the banker. I assumed that that's how it had to be done. Turns out you can sell the house by typing "sell house" anywhere. In the bank you can ask to speak with Mr. Quail, but is there any reason to?

Another odd glitch. While in the mine, I was keeping tabs on my gold total. At some point, the inventory item turned into a question mark. The next time I mined some gold, it turned back.
gr_000.png
gr_000.png (2.44 KiB) Viewed 3286 times

User avatar
BBP
Village Elder
Posts: 4388
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:07 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: My Gold Rush playthrough

Post by BBP » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:37 pm

Well done on finishing it with full points! I tried but failed in the mines.
If you didn't find the bank statement, you can ask Mr Quail for your bank account number.

You can close or open the valve, then the handle will break off and the ship will blow up!

There's an online video of Gold Rush death scenes by Mr Whitman - it lasts for more than half an hour and is still short of at least 3 deaths on the Cape Horn route.
You definitely lose your metal scraps at the point where everything is thrown overboard.
There's a new script around: SQ2! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts

User avatar
notbobsmith
Sierra Veteran
Posts: 487
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:02 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male

Re: My Gold Rush playthrough

Post by notbobsmith » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:32 pm

BBP wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:37 pm
Well done on finishing it with full points! I tried but failed in the mines.
Finding all of the places to mine for gold was pretty tedious. I wonder if the gold nuggets are in fixed positions or if there's a random chance that you will strike gold when you use the pick.

At some point I may try to go through the mine without the lantern to get the "bonus item". I guess I can use the matches when needed, but there are only 5 and they don't last long.

I've looked up Gold Rush 2 on Steam. I guess it's a continuation of the story with the same characters. Even some of the locations look familiar. Is it any good?

User avatar
BBP
Village Elder
Posts: 4388
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:07 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: My Gold Rush playthrough

Post by BBP » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:06 am

The gold is in fixed position.
There's a new script around: SQ2! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts

Post Reply