BBP vs SQ (spoiler topic)

In Space No One Can Hear You Clean, er, Scream. But if you post in this forum about Space Quest - someone's sure to hear you. I think. Try it, anyway!
Collector
Grand Poobah

Re: BBP vs SQ (spoiler topic)

Post by Collector » Wed May 22, 2019 4:26 pm

I am adding any new captures with pixel perfect upscaling. This will give accurate ratio upscaling where all of the blocks that represent a pixel are of a uniform ratio without the blurring of aliasing.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu May 23, 2019 9:15 am

What's your method for rendering that? I usually just increase by 4x and then stretch with Lanczos.

BTW, thanks for the commentary on your playthrough, BBP! It was most enjoyable.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001

Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector » Thu May 23, 2019 5:36 pm

No rendering per se, I just upscale to 1600x1200 with no anti-aliasing, even multiples of both dimensions of both aspect ratios. Each "block" or group of pixels is the same from top to bottom.
Attachments
SQ3SS20.png

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis » Thu May 23, 2019 6:23 pm

How come this can't be done with the games themselves, so that they run at that resolution (rather than the opening to that size, but really running at 320x120 or whatever) :D

MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Post by MusicallyInspired » Thu May 23, 2019 8:17 pm

Ah I see. Of course. Sweet. So what we need to play these games as crisp as possible on modern displays is a 1920x1200 monitor with a pillar-boxed display. Luckily I have one! :D
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001

Collector
Grand Poobah

Post by Collector » Thu May 23, 2019 11:30 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:17 pm
Ah I see. Of course. Sweet. So what we need to play these games as crisp as possible on modern displays is a 1920x1200 monitor with a pillar-boxed display. Luckily I have one! :D
Or just use the ECE build of DOSBox with the pixel perfect patch.

BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP » Sun May 26, 2019 12:42 pm

In the category "beware for what you wish for" Collector, here are some screen shots of the first half of the game, and you'll find I have a curious definition of the word "some". I'm checking things over with the script I'm presently building.

Speaking of which, if you'd like to help out with the good ol'"is it in or not" or if you just want to see what I found so far, click on the link in my signature to see what I've conjured up!
Attachments
sq3_a.zip
(1.45 MiB) Downloaded 112 times
There's a new script around: SQ2! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts

BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP » Sun May 26, 2019 6:40 pm

Sooo, that's 650+ images to sift through, hope there's one you like... :lol:

I caught every death I could find:
-slice by metal
-falling of the edge at the head
-shredder
-falling off conveyor belt
-falling off railing
-shot by android
-falling off railing at slippery spot
-killed by rats in lair
-turning engines off in flight
-forgetting radar
-forgetting shield
-black alien at Monoburger
-scorpazoid, lightning, snake
-Arnoid
-tumble down elevator shaft
-Ortega without belt
-falling off or falling into transmitter hole
-shot by pirates
-detonation at pole vault, detonation at rock
-falling in llava, leaving too late
-shot by guards by returning / forgetting belt / running out of belt power
-shot by security for not dressing as janitor / forgetting to work
-walk off edge at 2 Guys
-lose in bot game
-lose in plane shootout
Attachments
sq3_2.zip
(1.57 MiB) Downloaded 110 times
There's a new script around: SQ2! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts

BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:15 am

Ooh! Guess what? I forgot a couple of deaths! Here's the rest of them...
Attachments
sq3.zip
(68.93 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
Skip to new scripts

BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:44 am

SPOILER ALERT!!

After BBP vs SQ3, I'm happy to introduce its prequelsequel: BBP vs SQ2!

Take 1:

I remember this game from watching a number of death scenes, just for the death poll #39 and #28 and #14, and from checking out the SQ2 death video by MrWhitman two years ago - so I have a teensy bit of an unfair advantage.

Let's get started: I fire up the ScummVM GOG version. I'm at BF's office, and since he's working on stuff I couldn't even comprehend with the aid of Wikipedia and The Real Frank Zappa Book combined, I run the game without sound.

The intro plays. I enter my name, lose a broom, walk into the ship, change clothes, am set to an assignment, hit the tube, set to the ship...

Not much later I meet Vohaul, who sends me off to lifelong mine labour. On the way there the ship crashes, killing my captors.

I search the body of the one I landed on, and take his keycard. The ship has nothing salvageable.
I decide to go left to meet the mushrooms.
Mushrooms! I recall them from Death 39, one I appreciated very much. I try to find my way around them but find nothing of value on this screen. Nor can I find any other exit. Careful not to get under them, I go back to the starting screen.

And fall down the pit.

Take 2:
A day later, still at BFs playing with the sound off, but now I'm showing him the game."and that is where I fell into a pit..."

This time I go east, to the scene with the trees. In a few seconds, a ship comes by and shoots me.

Take 3: I'm back home. ScummVM gets the boot. My CD filled with pirated Sierra games is unearthed and I copy the SQ2 folder, open it in DOSBox and get it to run straight away.

I start over again. The sound is horrible! I make a lot of screenshots, which delays the game to a certain point - I up the cycles to 6000 and the game runs a lot better from there.

After the crash landing I notice a horrible peeping noise. It turns out to come from the ship and I switch it off. Again I pick up the keycard. I go left, am frightened by the message about the beeping sound, leave the screen and quit the game.

Take 4 takes place a week later. I fire up the game from the start again - this time, at the place where I wear my suit, I notice the lockers, open them and get a Cubix (QBix?) Rube Puzzle and supporters.
Fast forward to the crash landing, I get the keycard and turn off the alarm, save and start dying a bit just for the screenshots. The first I tackle is my first death - the spiked pit.

Take 5 - this time I shoot for the mushroom death.

Take 6 - I skip the mushroom death altogether. I quickly walk past the scene with the two trees east, to the one with the mystery machine on the platform. I notice something on the floor releasing spores. The spores leave me paralyzed on the ground for a minute, then I can walk again. I make a note of it. Up north is some type of brainlike blob with tentacles. I try to walk by, but it eats me.

Take 7 - It hits me. At the scene with the 2 trees I need to go up to reach the machine - which I can't if I need to run from the guards each time. I hide behind the bushes - and lo and behold, they miss me.

Now about these trees - I faintly remember something about climbing them. I climb the tree and am eaten by bugs.

Take 8 - I finally make it to the mystery machine on the plateau. It's a mailbox. Not sure what I can do with it.
I explore more and find a dirty swamp. Wading it I notice a monster and quickly get out again.
In my inventory I notice there's stuff that wasn't there before! A mailorder form! I take it to the mail slot and obtain a whistle.

Next I proceed to whistle everywhere, but the mushrooms, the ship, the trees, the mailbox, the brain blob and the swamp arent't impressed.
I notice there's a way south from the swamp, where I find an unfortunate creature that got stuck in a trap. I free it and feel real good about myself. Perhaps the string could help me over the swamp, but I can't get to it.

I save and quit, waiting for a good idea...

NO SPOILERS PLEASE! NO HINTS EITHER.
Skip to new scripts

BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:23 pm

Take 9: I start over again to see if there's anything I missed. At the start I walk right rather than left - and die straight away.

Take 10: after restarting I go left, take the stuff from my locker and decide to walk into that room in the suit I'm wearing, not the standard outfit. I'm fired.

Take 11: I wear regular clothes, go to the tube and sit through the whole cutscene until I crash land. I decide to see what happens if I don't shut down the alarm - there are still the guys searching for me but I can hide from them. Since the noise is so annoying I switch it off and continue my search.
At the scene with the mailbox I manage to pick up one of the pods that knocked me out earlier. Hey!
Going north again to the brain blob - it's a maze, of course! I walk a bit further into the maze but it's not long before I cut short the death animation with F7.

Take 12-18: Saving throughout the maze and dying a number of times, but I reach the berries and pick them. There is no exit at the top end, so I have to go back.

Take 19-21: I die at a few points in the maze.

Take 22: Finally I make it to the end and save. I rescue the little guy hanging from the string, but I can't follow him into the bush. I retrieve the whistle and try to play a couple of times.

There's no other thing I can think of - the swamp is an obvious death trap that needs to be crossed somehow, but I couldn't manage to throw the pod in there. Can I get the string? Hmmm...

Time to put my thinking cap on...
Skip to new scripts

BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:44 pm

Take 23: I start up from scratch after reading the manual and learnt I can look at the watch. I inspect it, see my boss yelling at me, read my horoscope and see it is friggin cold outside.
I play on and decide to start with rescuing the little guy, since the game mentions a screetch coming from the east. I untie the creature again. Still makes no difference at the swamp though. I walk towards the eyes in the swamp and get eaten by the monster.

Take 24: I restart and drop off the striped platform at the space station for screenshots

Take 25: I go to the maze for the berries. And there's our pink buddy picking them!
Take 26-32: I go to pick the berries again and snuff it a few times. I'm almost out of the maze when it's time to eat and I need to pause.
Skip to new scripts

BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:07 pm

Take 33-35: I get out of the maze and get the whistle. At the swamp I see our pink buddy doing something, then swimming. It must be related to the berries...
In the manual I noticed "rub" is a word you can use, after some verb guessing I get to swim undisturbed by the monster. I find an underswamp cave, but drown before I get there.

Take 36: Is this perchance the infamous "hold breath" puzzle? Am I going to get many more of those?
I get to swim a bit further but the opening seems to be too small and I drown again.

Take 37: I make it through, pick up the gem I recall from SQ3 and go on through. I arrive at the scene with the dead tree and the gorge. Now that tree goes over the gorge but what verbs do I use?
After ten minutes of verb guessing I give in and resort to a video walkthrough for the exact command.

Take 38: Seriously? I tried to climb the other tree... {thud head}.
I walk on and am caught in a snare. The LSL reference makes me chuckle. I wake up in a cage and need to get out somehow - as the beast approaches, I try to throw the pod but it won't do that. I'm toast.

Take 39: I try again with some verb guessing but after the beast grabs me I F7.

Take 40: Is it "spore"? They are pods releasing spores, and I used pod to pick it up, but I can't use pod to throw it?
The verb guessing is getting to me.
I escape from the cage, take rope and head north - I quickly go back when I see something move I don't trust. The hunter is gone. I explore a bit, end up going back, wondering what to do next. The woods aren't safe. From the death video I watched I recall something about rope swinging and a dinosaur - I spend some verb guessing trying to get on the log, tie the rope to the log, and climb down.
There's the dinosaur!
I climb down too far and snuff it.

Take 41: I start swinging until the dinosaur gets me. He gets me on his 3rd attempt.

Take 42: I swing off after Dino's 2nd attempt and land on the platform. I save and for funsies and screenshots, walk off it.

Take 43: I enter the cave and use the gem as lamp. There could be a death scene here! Should try it next time. I reach the land of the little pink creatures, who allow me to stay on their land. If I want to leave I need to tell them.
I wonder around and find the gem. Nothing else.
And then I spend a good ten minutes figuring out how to leave...
Skip to new scripts

BBP
Village Elder

Post by BBP » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:10 am

After this one I played again from the top (which I'm not doing again if I don't have to) - the verb guessing got to me and the bizarreness of the rock puzzle, following the getting eaten afterwards because of the hold gem in mouth thing - I don't mind one or two puzzles like that but at this point I'm stuck in the game unless I figure it out, and that means there's no gaming unless I either think of something out of my league, or look it up. Now I had to look up two puzzles in a row and since the third one is a maze I'm not going to be doing that either.

So it's another walkthrough playthrough. Bugger.
Skip to new scripts

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:22 am

I love these "Take 1"... "Take 43"... :D