The D&D Corner

Just like the title says. Fun little forum related games and threads. Come in here and have some fun!
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: The D&D Corner

Post by Tawmis » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:37 pm

Rath Darkblade wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:43 pm
Ettin is enslaved by Mind Flayers! Good idea. :)
Attacking four Mind Flayers when the party is (IIRC) an average of level 5-6? Not a good idea. :shock: :P
It's one of those times that I wish I was recording the session - just for that moment.
Because Anita insisted she could wound one and they could make their escape (when I had made it clear that the Mind Flayers are aware you're there; they just don't care because getting the livestock down the mine shaft to their people was more important; and they assumed that the party would not be foolish enough to attack...) But Anita kept saying, "I have a high Dexterity! I can wound one! And we can run!"

So I said, "Do you want to attack the Mind Flayers?"
Everyone said, "No!" Anita said, "Yes!"
So I said, "Roll initiative."
Everyone was yelling at Anita, that if the Mind Flayers go before everyone else, that they could mind stun them with psionics.
And then it donned on her... Anita could hit one and do some damage; but her party was in range of their psionics.
And she realized her grave mistake. I honestly thought one of them was going to die (the bard, who got mind stunned and didn't make their save) - but I gave the barbarian to do one heroic moment - if they rolled a 20 (with Dex bonus) - they'd be able to grab the Bard (who is just a tiny halfling) and sprint away - the barbarian rolled a NATURAL 20. Heroic moment and escape achieved.
Rath Darkblade wrote:
As for the illustration - is that your take on the D&D show from the 80s? Looks good, if so. :)
I have no idea why you think I am a fantastic painter (between the disney pictures and now this) - but, thank you! Sadly, another one I didn't do - just happened across it while googling cool D&D images.

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:00 am

Huzzah for nat-20s! :D But yes, attacking a Mind Flayer (never mind FOUR of them) when you have no defense against psionic attacks probably ranks as one of the Top Ten D&D Bonehead Moves. ;)

(Some others include trying to pickpocket Elminster, trying to attack Drizzt Do'Urden, etc. etc... oh - and attacking the Dreaded Gazebo.) :P
Rath Darkblade wrote:
As for the illustration - is that your take on the D&D show from the 80s? Looks good, if so. :)
I have no idea why you think I am a fantastic painter (between the disney pictures and now this) - but, thank you! Sadly, another one I didn't do - just happened across it while googling cool D&D images.
[/quote]

You're not? Oh. :( I just thought you might be, because of the comic book covers you did a few months ago. ;)

As for the Disney pictures - I didn't see the artist's signature until after my post. Whoops. *blush*

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:31 pm

Rath Darkblade wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:00 am
Huzzah for nat-20s! :D But yes, attacking a Mind Flayer (never mind FOUR of them) when you have no defense against psionic attacks probably ranks as one of the Top Ten D&D Bonehead Moves. ;)
(Some others include trying to pickpocket Elminster, trying to attack Drizzt Do'Urden, etc. etc... oh - and attacking the Dreaded Gazebo.) :P
Only attack the gazebo if it laughs at your jokes too...
Rath Darkblade wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:00 am
You're not? Oh. :( I just thought you might be, because of the comic book covers you did a few months ago. ;)
Oh, I can digitally color stuff (although not nearly as crisp and beautiful as this artist). And I do draw. But I am nowhere near this skill. Not even close. I can draw elves like ElfQuest (note: that's not mine, but an example - I am nowhere near THAT good either), but the one thing that has ALWAYS been my bane when drawing is ... women. I can't draw women. They all look too manly no matter how I try to "soften" them up. So yeah. Definitely would not be my work. If you see me posting art that has any woman in it; I didn't draw it. :lol:

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:58 am

OK, fair enough. Your art looks pretty amazing to me, 'cos I can't draw worth a damn. ;)

I can't half-write, though. I work very hard at improving my writing - I now have enough materials for at least four books. <shameless plug> ;) But like you, I find it difficult to "write" women characters convincingly. They either turn out to be tough badasses, imperious queens, or (rarely) damsels in distress - but only when the plot requires it ...! ;)

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:57 pm

Rath Darkblade wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:58 am
I can't half-write, though. I work very hard at improving my writing - I now have enough materials for at least four books. <shameless plug> ;) But like you, I find it difficult to "write" women characters convincingly. They either turn out to be tough badasses, imperious queens, or (rarely) damsels in distress - but only when the plot requires it ...! ;)
Writing is my strength also. Which is why I enjoy doing D&D. Because life is often too hectic for me to sit down and write the stories I want to write; but D&D allows me to plan an adventure; have players be the main characters; and allow me to improvise the story on the spot, depending on what the players do - which is a three fold success - it allows me to weave a story; allows me to get instant gratification from player reactions; and forces me to more often than not be extremely creative on the spot, since players never do what is planned for the adventure!

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:42 am

Hmm. Well, I can't improvise on the spot, which is why I write a story outline before I start. This includes:

1. a one-sentence summary;
2. a one-paragraph summary;
3. back-cover blurb;
4. character summary;
5. a three-act arch (i.e. one-to-three sentence summary of the following:

a. Hero's entrance and catalyst or story problem, after which he can't turn back;
b. How shall the hero do this? He first must do A, B, and C. Usually, things get worse for the hero here, which raises the stakes;
c. But the hero learns his lessons, overcomes the problems, and wins the day!
============
Now I know what the story's about and who my characters are (roughly). Time to start writing? Almost! One more step: scene outlines. Before I write a new scene, for each scene, I write one or two sentences about:

a. goal - what's the character's goal? What does he want to achieve?
b. Conflict - how can he achieve that goal? Does he need help?
c. Setback - what makes the conflict so hard?
d. reaction - how does the character deal with the setback? What lesson does he learn?
e. dilemma - what options does the character have? What will he do?
f. decision! Yes! That's how he's going to get ahead. :)

For instance, suppose my character is Theseus, the Greek hero who ended up battling the Minotaur, the famous half-man half-bull monster. ;) Suppose also that when the story starts, Thesseus is just a kid, but he wants to take on the Minotaur anyway - because that bully is eating people. :P So...

goal: Theseus wants to fight the Minotaur.
Conflict: How can he do that when he's just a kid? Everyone is laughing at him.
Setback: But his big brother says, "All right", and takes little Theseus to the field to see a bull. "Here's a stick! Go fight the big Minotaur!" :D

reaction: You kidding? That's too easy! I'll... hold on, that bull is big and scary!
Dilemma: What next? Does Theseus give up? Does he cry?
Dec: No, by Zeus! ;) He whacks the bull with the stick! He'll show Meanie Bull who's the boss! :D
============
(Luckily, big brother is on hand to rescue little brother. But he's impressed. Maybe we've got something here. Maybe we should give him training, hmm?)

I'm currently re-writing the story of Perseus and Medusa - the legendary woman with the snake hair! :) - so I haven't started writing the "Theseus & the Minotaur" story yet. But if I did, that could be the first scene.

As for the story of Perseus and Medusa, the first draft's nearly done, but I want to change some things - that's for the 2nd draft. And then - hopefully - it'll be done, and I'll be ready to find an cover illustrator, get an ISBN, hunt for a publisher, and all the other "really fun stuff"! ;)

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:41 pm

Top 10 Great D&D Lines by Players...
(once again...18 March 2005)

10. [PC's were visiting a dimension populated entirely by lycanthropes]

PC: "Why yes, of course I'm a lycanthrope!"
WEREWOLF: "So why do you remain in your human form?"
PC: "Because...uh...I'm a Were-shark."

9. [Party facing Lich, Lich casts "Rock To Mud" on ceiling above party, mud falls down all over party, Lich casts "Mud To Rock" and entraps them. Most of party breaks out using Strength rolls while the Lich prepares some other really nasty spell, one guy doesn't bother.]

DM: "You're not going to try to break out?"
PC: "Look, you're talking to a guy who's only got seven hit points left. I feel safer in the rock!"

8. [No explanation needed] "Well, Mr. Bigshot Demon Lord, since I freed you from your bondage here and let you sit on the Throne of Ultimate Power, I think the least you can do is recharge my fireball wand for me!"

7. [Immensely strong guy with no real throwing skill prepares to hurl a tree trunk into a raging battle] "My God...this could go anywhere!" [Did it anyway. He was Chaotic Neutral.]

6. [Severely drunk PC (due to a curse) and fully sober PC encounter a female demon. Sober PC prepares himself for a fight, drunk PC has quite something else on his pickled mind.]

DRUNK PC: "Wow! Whatta babe! Hey, baby!"
SOBER PC: "That's a succubus, you idiot!"
DRUNK PC: "So she's Italian. She's still a babe!" *hic*

5. [Not-too-bright PC warrior meets new PC Beastmaster character, who has a pet wolf. Warrior pats wolf, wolf pants happily. Warrior looks up at Beastmaster and asks...]

WARRIOR: "These taste good with ketchup?"

4. [Overly dramatic mage named Yolarr blasts open a door with a lightning bolt, screams into the darkness beyond.]

YOLARR: "Hear me, foul spawn of darkness! I am Yolarr The Mighty!" [Lights appear in the huge chamber beyond, revealing about sixty demons, all slavering in anticipation. Yolarr doesn't miss a beat before continuing.] "And I was wondering if any of you would be interested in owning a really fine set of modern encyclopedias!"

3. [Encountering a leader of a warrior mercenary group that's blocking the path...]

PC: "Question to Dungeon Master...you said I know something about this group. What do I know?"

DM: "You know they are a mercenary group who respect strength, courage, and determination above all."

PC: "Okay..." [pauses, adopts really bad Austrian accent] "So, you vimpy little girly-persons, you think to frighten me vith your veapons. HA! I laff at you! Let me pass or I vill crush you betveen my biceps like an overripe tomato!"

2. [Most of the party was in a dark alley, calmly talking to a certain Greater Vampire, who, in this campaign, was an NPC who was number one on the "Do Not Mess With If You Value Your Life" list, but the party's Bashkar (bereserker) character had somehow gotten separated from the group and thought the vampire was an enemy, so he went into full berserker rage, charged the vampire from behind, and attacked him at incredible speed.

Unfortunately for him, in this campaign, Greater Vampires are not affected by non-magical weapons, so the attacks did absolutely no damage whatsoever. It took the berserker six rounds to come out of his rage (during which time, the vampire simply stood there and let the berserker hit him), at which point, he threw down his weapons and sat down in a pout...]

GREATER VAMPIRE: (slightly amused) "Finished?"

PC: (Angrily) "You're no fun...you don't die!"

And the number one great line by a D&D player...

1. [During an expedition to track down demons who were armed with advanced technology, somehow the incredibly massive and tough (but rather dumb) warrior named Glutnik (pronounced Gloot-Nick) took the lead paving the path...and stepped on a landmine.

Huge explosion of smoke and flame and shrapnel; Glutnik is so tough, however, that even with all the damage he suffered, he took no crippling hits, and staggered out of the smoke a minute later, covered with soot, blood, and metal fragments...and said the immortal line...]

GLUTNIK: (happily) "Glutnik find trap!"