Choose my next adventure

One of the many other Sierra games got you wondering something? Need hints? Got questions? Or just want to talk about them - post it here!
User avatar
Collector
Grand Poobah
Posts: 11080
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:57 am
Location: Sierraland
Contact:

Re: Choose my next adventure

Post by Collector » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:30 am

You can use the updated Shivers installer when you get to it. http://sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/N ... ml#Shivers
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Image

User avatar
adeyke
Oldbie
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:47 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Choose my next adventure

Post by adeyke » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:33 am

I'd say Shivers. Just have reasonable expectations going into it.

User avatar
notbobsmith
Sierra Veteran
Posts: 338
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:02 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male

Re: Choose my next adventure

Post by notbobsmith » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:49 pm

Collector wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:30 am
You can use the updated Shivers installer when you get to it. http://sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/N ... ml#Shivers
Would I need to do this with the GOG version?

User avatar
BBP
Village Elder
Posts: 4067
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:07 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: Choose my next adventure

Post by BBP » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:05 pm

Ooooh I'm a huge fan of Shivers!

Either that, or Gold Rush, since Lighthouse is low on dialogue, and so is Shivers. In Gold Rush there are a lot of people to talk to.
However, Shivers is easier and you may want to take a break...
Fresh game scripts: KQ4, LSL2 and LSL3! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts

User avatar
Datadog
Great Incinerations
Posts: 1485
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:41 am
Location: Vancouver
Gender: Martian
Location: Vancouver, BC
Contact:

Re: Choose my next adventure

Post by Datadog » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:40 pm

My first pick on that list would be Willy Beamish since it's a completely different experience from Lighthouse.

But if it starts leaning towards Gold Rush vs. Shivers, my vote goes to Gold Rush. Especially if you want a break from the first-person.
Box of Mystery, Adventure Games, Cartoons, Books and more!

User avatar
Mostly
Sierra Obsessed
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 2:39 pm
Gender: Not Specified

Re: Choose my next adventure

Post by Mostly » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:39 pm

+1 for Shivers. Love that game.

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 10658
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: Choose my next adventure

Post by Tawmis » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:03 am

notbobsmith wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:14 am
After finishing Lighthouse, it's on to my next adventure. I just added Shivers to the list:

The Adventures of Willy Beamish
The Black Cauldron
The Colonel's Bequest / Dagger of Amon Ra
Conquests of Camelot
Conquests of the Longbow
Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist
Gold Rush
Heart of China
Lighthouse
Phantasmagoria
Phantasmagoria 2
Shivers
Torin's Passage

Polls close Wednesday.
Umph! After Lighthouse, I was going to recommend something lighthearted...

But what you have remaining... Willy is lighthearted, but I felt was odd... Black Cauldron is fun, but the controls are different than any other Sierra game... Gold Rush is great, but has three different paths... Heart of China, I remembered being funny, but damn those dialogue options/controls are awful... Phant2, I'd recommend last of all the games... and Shivers is good, but a pretty dark game...

So...

I am going to go Black Cauldron this time.

User avatar
JasefWisener
Third in Line
Posts: 895
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:57 am
Gender: Male
Location: Huntsville, AL
Contact:

Re: Choose my next adventure

Post by JasefWisener » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:16 am

Shivers is super good, so that gets my rec.
"I'm gonna wake up tomorrow and keep trying to do good and so are you and nobody gets to vote on that."
- Justin McElroy, My Brother, My Brother, and Me

User avatar
notbobsmith
Sierra Veteran
Posts: 338
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:02 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male

Re: Choose my next adventure

Post by notbobsmith » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:33 pm

So the results are in and I have 3.5 for Shivers, 1 for Willy Beamish, 1 for Black Cauldron and 0.5 for Gold Rush (I'm splitting BBP's vote :) ) Again, I'm not very familiar with Shivers. I have a bit of a gap when it comes to '90s Sierra games outside of the main "Quest" games.

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 10658
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: Choose my next adventure

Post by Tawmis » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:15 pm

notbobsmith wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:33 pm
So the results are in and I have 3.5 for Shivers, 1 for Willy Beamish, 1 for Black Cauldron and 0.5 for Gold Rush (I'm splitting BBP's vote :) ) Again, I'm not very familiar with Shivers. I have a bit of a gap when it comes to '90s Sierra games outside of the main "Quest" games.
Shivers is like... Phantasmagoria meets Myst meets Laura Bow. :)

User avatar
adeyke
Oldbie
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:47 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Choose my next adventure

Post by adeyke » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:30 pm

It's a series of set-piece puzzles tied together by a spooky scavenger hunt.

User avatar
notbobsmith
Sierra Veteran
Posts: 338
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:02 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male

Re: Choose my next adventure

Post by notbobsmith » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:49 pm

adeyke wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:30 pm
It's a series of set-piece puzzles tied together by a spooky scavenger hunt.
Tawmis wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:15 pm
notbobsmith wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:33 pm
So the results are in and I have 3.5 for Shivers, 1 for Willy Beamish, 1 for Black Cauldron and 0.5 for Gold Rush (I'm splitting BBP's vote :) ) Again, I'm not very familiar with Shivers. I have a bit of a gap when it comes to '90s Sierra games outside of the main "Quest" games.
Shivers is like... Phantasmagoria meets Myst meets Laura Bow. :)
So, sort of like 7th Guest?

User avatar
adeyke
Oldbie
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:47 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Choose my next adventure

Post by adeyke » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:24 am

I haven't played that myself, but from what I've heard of it, it may be an apt comparison.

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 10658
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: Choose my next adventure

Post by Tawmis » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:42 pm

notbobsmith wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:49 pm
adeyke wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:30 pm
It's a series of set-piece puzzles tied together by a spooky scavenger hunt.
Tawmis wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:15 pm
notbobsmith wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:33 pm
So the results are in and I have 3.5 for Shivers, 1 for Willy Beamish, 1 for Black Cauldron and 0.5 for Gold Rush (I'm splitting BBP's vote :) ) Again, I'm not very familiar with Shivers. I have a bit of a gap when it comes to '90s Sierra games outside of the main "Quest" games.
Shivers is like... Phantasmagoria meets Myst meets Laura Bow. :)
So, sort of like 7th Guest?
Yes, but nowhere near as hard, and more story to it.

User avatar
BBP
Village Elder
Posts: 4067
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:07 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: Choose my next adventure

Post by BBP » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:09 pm

Mmm I think 7th Guest is easier than Shivers - except for the microscope puzzle. But even for that one there's a Puzzle Skip System.
Fresh game scripts: KQ4, LSL2 and LSL3! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts

Post Reply