Police Quest at Science World

Caught in your own cuffs? Need a hint? Or just want to talk about Police Quest - this is the place to do it!
Datadog
Great Incinerations

Police Quest at Science World

Post by Datadog » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:20 pm

They opened a video game exhibit at the Telus World of Science in Vancouver. My family and I were poking through the exhibits when I stumbled upon this tucked away in one of the corners.

(Click to expand)

I thought it was an amusing find, given how mainstream the rest of the exhibition was (Mario, Pac-Man, Tetris, Guitar Hero, etc.) But it did have me second-guess PQ's status as a storytelling pioneer since the rest of Sierra's catalog until then was either sci-fi, fantasy, or LSL. Either way, many kids are learning about Police Quest today.

A little more amusingly, right next to the display was a machine set up to run Myst. When we found it, the attendant told us the game was broken, but they just didn't know how to play it. So I had the smug pleasure of showing a small crowd how to play Myst. :lol:

Box of Mystery, Adventure Games, Cartoons, Books and more!

MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Re: Police Quest at Science World

Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:00 pm

"Broken" lol
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:51 pm

I'm sure this is an old joke. I tried playing Myst, but until I figured it out, it always Mystified me. :P

Yes, quite an amusing tale, Datadog. Nice one.

(By the way, I see there an illustration of 5.25" floppies. Did anyone at the museum ask what those were? Just wondering...)

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:01 pm

:lol: That's pretty funny! I like that they have MYST up to play but no idea how to play it. You'd figure they would have employees who would be trained (experienced?) in the demo games.

Datadog, I see an opportunity to train some of their employees for some extra side cash? ;)

Datadog
Great Incinerations

Post by Datadog » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:12 pm

To clarify a little, when the Myst demo starts, the game starts the player in the library, facing STRAIGHT UP at the ceiling at a strange pattern. So anyone who doesn't know where they are, or how to look down would think the game is stuck.

And I did get stuck after a minute because I forgot how to beat Myst. I got as far as the clock puzzle and forgot how to raise the bridge.

While explaining the game to my wife, she said it reminds her of an ancient Chinese proverb that goes something like "To learn, one must either walk a 1000 miles, or read a 1000 books." I told her she just described Myst's gameplay in a nutshell.
Rath Darkblade wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:51 pm
(By the way, I see there an illustration of 5.25" floppies. Did anyone at the museum ask what those were? Just wondering...)
Not just an illustration! That is an actual unboxed Police Quest case!

I wonder if there were people who didn't know what it was. I heard jokes about how kids think 3.5 disks are "the save button", but to be fair, we all carry cards, flash drives, and assorted chips that we plug into things all the time, so it's not a stretch for a kid to understand what a 5.25" is. Especially when I can walk into a drug store and see a sale on vinyl records. :)
Box of Mystery, Adventure Games, Cartoons, Books and more!

Rath Darkblade
The Cute One

Post by Rath Darkblade » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:06 am

Datadog wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:12 pm
I wonder if there were people who didn't know what it was. I heard jokes about how kids think 3.5 disks are "the save button", but to be fair, we all carry cards, flash drives, and assorted chips that we plug into things all the time, so it's not a stretch for a kid to understand what a 5.25" is. Especially when I can walk into a drug store and see a sale on vinyl records. :)
:lol: Ha! Everything old is new again. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose!

Say, my mum has some original vinyls from the mid-1960s (including an original Abbey Road on vinyl). Maybe they are worth something? (To a collector, I'm sure they're worth a lot)... ;)

notbobsmith
Sierra Veteran

Post by notbobsmith » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:40 pm

That is pretty amazing that they singled out PQ for the display. And they did some nice work putting the display together. Good find.