Question for people who use GOG (Good Old Games)...

Talk about games or general tech issues that are not Sierra related.
Semi-Happy Partygoer
Sierra Obsessed

Re: Question for people who use GOG (Good Old Games)...

Post by Semi-Happy Partygoer » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:10 am

Collector wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:27 pm
It would be nothing for them to include both and given how large many of their games are the added size of including both DOSBox and SVM would be rather trivial. While my preference leans heavily in favor of DOSBox, sometimes SVM can be the best answer. I include both SVM and DOSBox with my KQ6 installer and use DOSBox for the DOS version and SVM for the Windows version for the high-res dialog portraits. Games where there essentially no differences between the two I see little need for anything other than DOSBox.
Using ScummVM for titles where the Windows versions have improvements makes sense, but for the rest, I agree that DOSBox is preferable.

Hopefully they will update their installers again to include both options at some stage.
While this is an interesting approach, it serves no practical purpose.

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Re: Question for people who use GOG (Good Old Games)...

Post by Tawmis » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:03 am

Tawmis wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:28 am
Semi-Happy Partygoer wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:11 am
I also wish they wouldn't do away with their old installers after making updates, especially if said updates involve switching from DOSBox to ScummVM. I know GOG is all about making these games as accessible and user-friendly as possible, but making both options available might be a good idea.
I agree and brought this up on their forum not too long ago (inspired by you telling me the ScummVM save games are not compatible in most cases); and someone replied with a good idea. That if they do use ScummVM installers, why not still include all the original files, so if someone wants the option of using DOSBox themselves, that it'd still be a valid option.
I've added this to the Wishlist on GoG - go over there and vote it up! :)
https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/for_d ... inal_files