Betrayal at Krondor's original requirements:
MS-DOS 5.0 or better, Windows 3.0 MME or higher for CD-ROM version Extras
2x CD-ROM (CD-ROM Version)
2 MB RAM/1MB available EMS, 4 MB RAM (CD-ROM Version)
15 MB Hard Drive Space, 3 MB Hard Drive Space (CD-ROM Version)
Recommended: Mouse, 15 MB Hard Drive Space (CD-ROM Version)
Supports: SoundBlaster, AdLib, MT-32 and General MIDI
Solution 1 (preferred):
Play the game in DOSBox. It also will work with the MT-32 sound module, if you are fortunate to have one.
Use VDMSound. The game work well with VDMSound. The sound will be as good as your audio hardware, and as with DOSBox, it works with the MT-32 sound module.
Play the game with FreeSCI, a third party Interpreter for Sierra's early SCI games.
Solution 4 (DOS/Win9x):
Install DOS drivers for your soundcard. Without DOS drivers installed you won't have sound in a DOS window in Windows 9x. If you can't find DOS drivers for your soundcard, there is an alpha (developmental) version of VDMS that you can try.
Solution 1 (preferred):
The music on the CD version is red book audio. Mount CD in DOSBox with the "-t cdrom" and "-ioctl" switches. Also be sure that you can play regular audio CDs on your PC.
Download this patch Betrayal at Krondor Update/Patch
Solution 2 (by SCID):
Play through all chapters in the northlands without music and sounds. The bug doesn't occur then. This includes chapter four, and a latter chapter which also takes place in the northlands for a small part (The one where you have to do three quests).
The prefered and easiest way to run Betrayal at Krondor in XP is to use DOSBox. The New Betrayal at Krondor DOSBox Installer will automate setting up BaK in DOSBox. The following is for people that are running the game without DOSBox.
After you install Betrayal at Krondor, set your sound to general midi, then set your DOS environment to run Betrayal at Krondor.
- Copy both CONFIG.NT AND AUTOEXEC.NT to your Betrayal at Krondor directory from your Windows\System32 directory (if you have trouble finding these files use the search for files and folders tool in your start menu)
- Open the CONFIG.NT file from your Betrayal at Krondor directory in Notepad. (if you get a message that states windows can not open the file you will get a question and 2 options. Select the option "Select program from a list" and click OK. select "Notepad" and click OK.)
- Add the following line to the CONFIG.NT file and save your changes.
- Open the AUTOEXEC.NT file in your BaK directory in Notepad and rem out or delete this line in your AUTOEXEC.NT file and save it:
- Right-click on the krondor.exe file in your Betrayal at Krondor directory and choose properties. Go to the Program tab and click on the Advanced... button. Change both paths to point to your altered CONFIG.NT and AUTOEXEC.NT files in your Betrayal at Krondor directory.
autoexec filename: drive:\ dir\autoexec.nt
(example: e:\ krondor\AUTOEXEC.NT)
Config filename: drive:\ dir\config.nt
(example: e:\ krondor\CONFIG.NT)
Click the OK button. (Note: For ease of use you may want to check the 'Close on exit' option in the program tab of your KRONDOR.EXE Properties window.)
- Set all the memory pull down options to auto, (on the memory tab of your KRONDOR.EXE properties Window) and close your KRONDOR.EXE Properties window by clicking the OK button at the bottom of the page.
You should now be able to run Krondor.exe by double-clicking the program icon in your Betrayal at Krondor directory.
You can help keep The Sierra Help Pages alive by helping to defray some of the costs of hosting this site. If it has been of help to you, please consider contributing to help keep it online.Thank you.
© 2006 to present The Sierra Help Pages. All rights reserved. All Sierra games, artwork and music © Sierra.